Page 1 of 1

Texas CHL Reciprocity questions

Posted: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 20:20:18
by froughtie
Hello, I moved to NoVA about a year ago and have been occasionally carrying with my Texas CHL, since I know we have reciprocity. However I have a few questions:

1) Is there a time limit on how long I can continue to use my Texas CHL here? It's still valid for a few more years, but I do worry that it might be seen as "conflicting" if I hand a cop my VA DL AND a Texas CHL. In other words, does VA require permanent residents to have a VA permit? or can I just wait till my Texas permit expires before applying?

2)If I do apply, can I use my previous training from Texas as proof? Texas required a mandatory 12hr training course in order to get a CHL. I'm thinking that should be plenty. Plus I've also taken a private shooting course. Will either of these apply? If so, what is the best way to prove this?

Thanks in advance

Re: Texas CHL Reciprocity questions

Posted: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 22:32:06
by ProShooter
Hello, I moved to NoVA about a year ago and have been occasionally carrying with my Texas CHL, since I know we have reciprocity. However I have a few questions:

1) Is there a time limit on how long I can continue to use my Texas CHL here? It's still valid for a few more years, but I do worry that it might be seen as "conflicting" if I hand a cop my VA DL AND a Texas CHL. In other words, does VA require permanent residents to have a VA permit? or can I just wait till my Texas permit expires before applying?
That all depends on what Texas says about its permit if you are no longer a resident. Some states void the permit if you no longer live there. I'd surely find out before I carried in Virginia for a year on it.
2)If I do apply, can I use my previous training from Texas as proof? Texas required a mandatory 12hr training course in order to get a CHL. I'm thinking that should be plenty. Plus I've also taken a private shooting course. Will either of these apply? If so, what is the best way to prove this?

Thanks in advance
Yes, as long as the training was conducted by a certified instructor.....and you have the certificate.