M203 is NFA But Not Other Models?
Posted: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 23:53:21
So, I am looking for an M203 grenade launcher to go with a Vietnam era AR15 build I am working on. All of the M203's I am finding, the seller is listing them as an NFA Title 2 item. However, it is only M203's... no other bran/models.
Also, LMT M203's are like $1,800, while other models and brands are $300-$400.
I looked at the NFA and it states that the grenade is the destructible device, not the launcher, therefore the launcher is not regulated by NFA.
https://www.atf.gov/files/publicatio...appendix-b.pdf
What am I missing? Are grenade launchers not NFA items and the sellers are mistaken or am I completely missing something and the other brand/model vendors are making illegal transfers?
And why are LMT M203's almost 2 grand and other are a few hundred?
Also, LMT M203's are like $1,800, while other models and brands are $300-$400.
I looked at the NFA and it states that the grenade is the destructible device, not the launcher, therefore the launcher is not regulated by NFA.
Here is the actual code. Grenade talk starts on page 23...Q: Are grenade and rocket launcher attachments destructive devices?
Grenade and rocket launcher attachments for use on military type rifles generally do not come within the definition of destructive devices. However, the grenades and rockets used in these devices are generally within the definition.
[26 U.S.C. 5845, 27 CFR 479.11]
https://www.atf.gov/files/publicatio...appendix-b.pdf
What am I missing? Are grenade launchers not NFA items and the sellers are mistaken or am I completely missing something and the other brand/model vendors are making illegal transfers?
And why are LMT M203's almost 2 grand and other are a few hundred?