Page 1 of 2

Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 02:48:52
by MarcSpaz
Hey guys, I am running into a problem and I need some info. I have about 2 weeks to get my firearms out of the home I am living in... pretty much indefinitely.

I am looking for a business that will store my weapons for a monthly or annual fee. I can't really find any useful info online. Is anyone aware of any businesses like this?

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 06:29:49
by Swampman
Well that sucks. I've not heard of any such service. Maybe I should buy a big safe . . . :enlighten:

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 13:21:11
by MarcSpaz
LOL... I don't know if that is going to work.

I do have a friend who is an FFL who said I could store them in his vault, but I don't want to impose on him and I like the idea of 24 hour access.

I have read of some people using public storage that has security, in-door climate controlled units. I may go that route if they allow me to bolt the safe down.

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 13:33:17
by Reverenddel
Make sure you pay that storage fee, and I'll warn you... someone BROKE INTO MY PUBLIC STORAGE! Didn't take anything, but busted into every room that was locked in that row... If you're gonna put a gunsafe in there? Bolt it down, and if you're gonna leave it? Put a SHITTON of boxes with NOTHING in them to block the view.

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 13:49:40
by MarcSpaz
I was thinking about that. I can insure my weapons, so I am not worried about the value... what I am mostly worried about is, I don't want guns in the hands of bag guys. Also, 3 of my riffles I inherited from my father in-law when he passed. Those have some major sentimental value that can't be replaced. This is gonna suck, no matter what.

I am near 100% sure I am going to move to a new home to remedy this problem, but that doesn't help short-term. I am starting to think that public storage may be my only real option until I do move.

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 14:55:44
by SHMIV
Just curious. .. what could possibly drive you to want to get your guns out of your house?

If it's absolutely none of my business, I won't be offended if you say so.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 16:33:45
by MarcSpaz
I don't own the home. After 16 years, the property owner got a massive bug up her ass for reasons unknown to me. If they don't get moved off-site, I get evicted.

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 17:06:10
by Chasbo00
Might want to talk to a lawyer about below or other related laws...
§ 55-248.9. Prohibited provisions in rental agreements.

A. A rental agreement shall not contain provisions that the tenant:

1. Agrees to waive or forego rights or remedies under this chapter;

2. Agrees to waive or forego rights or remedies pertaining to the 120-day conversion or rehabilitation notice required in the Condominium Act (§ 55-79.39 et seq.), the Virginia Real Estate Cooperative Act (§ 55-424 et seq.) or Chapter 13 (§ 55-217 et seq.) of this title;

3. Authorizes any person to confess judgment on a claim arising out of the rental agreement;

4. Agrees to pay the landlord's attorney's fees except as provided in this chapter;

5. Agrees to the exculpation or limitation of any liability of the landlord to the tenant arising under law or to indemnify the landlord for that liability or the costs connected therewith;

6. Agrees as a condition of tenancy in public housing to a prohibition or restriction of any lawful possession of a firearm within individual dwelling units unless required by federal law or regulation; or

7. Agrees to both the payment of a security deposit and the provision of a bond or commercial insurance policy purchased by the tenant to secure the performance of the terms and conditions of a rental agreement, if the total of the security deposit and the bond or insurance premium exceeds the amount of two months' periodic rent.

B. A provision prohibited by subsection A included in a rental agreement is unenforceable. If a landlord brings an action to enforce any of the prohibited provisions, the tenant may recover actual damages sustained by him and reasonable attorney's fees.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504 ... d+55-248.9

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 17:18:49
by dorminWS
I would be very tempted to make contingent arrangements to move my guns but then tell my landlady to just try and evict me. It's probably going to be more complicated than she thinks.

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 17:25:40
by BertMacklin
dorminWS wrote:I would be very tempted to make contingent arrangements to move my guns but then tell my landlady to just try and evict me. It's probably going to be more complicated than she thinks.
But if she's hateful, she could get the police involved for more than just squatting, never a good thing.

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 19:31:03
by MarcSpaz
That is good info. I'll have to look into that. I was planning to talk to my lawyer about it, but I need to cover my behind in the mean time.

What I'm worried about with contesting it is, she may just look for some "other reason" to evict me instead... still getting her way. And honestly... why the heck would I want to stay here now anyway. I know that things will get harder for me no matter what. If she makes up some lie about be, saying I was brandishing or threaten her, my career is over, even if acquitted. not worth the fight to me.

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 20:59:59
by Swampman
Tough spot. I'm sure it'll work out.

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 21:48:30
by j1mmyd
MarcSpaz wrote:I have read of some people using public storage that has security, in-door climate controlled units. I may go that route if they allow me to bolt the safe down.
This is how I kept my guns while living in NYC. I got the best storage facility I could find in Westchester County. It was close to a police station and convenient (if 3 hours each way is "convenient") to the range we usually went to. I installed the safe, an IP camera and a cellular alarm. The owner was a gun guy and even let me run power to the unit. Not ideal. Easier just to live where I'm free to have my guns.

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 07:36:07
by Reverenddel
You know what? This would be an EXCELLENT idea for a gunshop with some extra property to come up with...

Climate controlled, dehumidified, 24 hour access, SOLID METAL DOOR, storage rooms with a series of threaded holes in the floor for bolt down access. You ain't gotta bolt ALL the holes, just one, or two...

But you do that? With HD security cameras, and alarms on each door? You'd probably do a'ight.

Especially if you can rent by the MONTH! Because when I would go on vacations, or work, having that locker would make me feel WAY better.

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 08:22:22
by j1mmyd
Lets not forget about "riders" to insurance policies. If you have much of a collection at all, typical homeowner's or renter's policy may not be enough.

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 10:07:44
by dorminWS
HMMMM... I wonder what position ATF would take about record keeping requirements on an FFL who had long-term possession of a 3rd party's firearms.

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:38:30
by Snakester
Hey Marc, Just bring all of your guns and ammo you have to my house and I will gladley "Store " them for you ! I will also be glad to run a few rounds through each to keep them in tip top condition ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 13:40:54
by MarcSpaz
dorminWS wrote:HMMMM... I wonder what position ATF would take about record keeping requirements on an FFL who had long-term possession of a 3rd party's firearms.
The ATF would have no position, as the business would not be taking possession. You would be renting space, making it your property (even if its a rental locker). Also, the building owner would not have access, only you would and you are in control of who has access. There is no transfer of firearms from one person to another.
Snakester wrote:Hey Marc, Just bring all of your guns and ammo you have to my house and I will gladley "Store " them for you ! I will also be glad to run a few rounds through each to keep them in tip top condition ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That is a mighty generous offer Sir. :friends:

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 14:33:16
by dorminWS
MarcSpaz wrote:
dorminWS wrote:HMMMM... I wonder what position ATF would take about record keeping requirements on an FFL who had long-term possession of a 3rd party's firearms.
The ATF would have no position, as the business would not be taking possession. You would be renting space, making it your property (even if its a rental locker). Also, the building owner would not have access, only you would and you are in control of who has access. There is no transfer of firearms from one person to another.


That is a mighty generous offer Sir. :friends:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The legal hairsplitting all ran through my mind. What consitututes possession? Control? What about access? Etc, etc, etc. But you know that federal agencies in general and the ATFE in particular have promulgated “rules” to get stuff done whatever the law may have been. Remember the multiple rifle reporting requirements down on the border states?

What I think would likely give them heartburn about this deal is that a crooked FFL could buy and sell used guns “off the books” without background checks or records and just stick whatever guns he had that were acquired in that manner into a “rental locker” under a false name. They could make a pretty colorable argument that to allow that pretty much guts the requirements on FFLs, and that they can’t possibly audit an FFL unless they also audit the guns and their owners in “rental lockers” operated by FFLs. It really does open the door to an FFL having 2 sets of books. And I guess the other possibility would be for the ATFE to tell (or show) an FFL that they can’t stop him from doing it, but they’re going to make his life so miserable he’ll wish he hadn’t.

Does anybody know if any FFL is actually doing this without objection by the ATFE?

Re: Off-Site Firearms Storage - Companies in NOVA?

Posted: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 14:56:32
by SHMIV
What's to stop an FFL from buying and selling used guns off the books, anyway?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image