Page 1 of 1

Existing 16" Barrel to SBR Dealer Suggestion

Posted: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 13:04:48
by 10mmSnob
I'm looking to take about 4" off of an existing rifle barrel, but I would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a dealer that could make it happen within a reasonable distance from NoVa (I'm also looking to have the end threaded for a compensator as well).

I understand that I need to fill in the forms, get approval and wait for my tax stamp before it all happens, but I wanted to find someone around here that would be willing to do it (and doesn't do shoddy work) before I started the long process.

Re: Existing 16" Barrel to SBR Dealer Suggestion

Posted: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 13:07:34
by OakRidgeStars
Give Sterling Arsenal a call. http://www.sterlingarsenal.com/

Re: Existing 16" Barrel to SBR Dealer Suggestion

Posted: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 19:16:22
by grumpyMSG
You are better off keeping what you have right now pending approval. Research a quality manufacturer for a barrel, maybe Sterling Arsenal, maybe Noveske, Daniel Defense or another manufacturer. With a change in barrel length beyond the front site/ gas port it changes how the gas system functions. You are better off having one that has had the engineering done properly. Once you have the approval and the new barrel you can sell the 16 inch or you can keep it for plinking.

Re: Existing 16" Barrel to SBR Dealer Suggestion

Posted: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:41:28
by bryanrheem
I 2nd Sterling Arsenal. Get them involved, have them look at your project and see what they have to say.

I did what grumpy recommends, but that's because I wanted a SBR and a longer barrel rifle as well. Good advice either way!

Re: Existing 16" Barrel to SBR Dealer Suggestion

Posted: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:08:26
by 10mmSnob
Thanks for the advice. To be more specific, I got a neutered AK (muzzle flash got removed and replaced with just a simple crown) when I was living in a state with an AWB and some other owners have had success in hacking off the excess barrel because the front sight goes back a ways:

http://mm-industries.com/m10-specs/