Page 1 of 1
No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 18:25:31
by MarcSpaz
Well, I had an opportunity to try to help educate someone on firearms and firearms laws... but it was a lost cause. She didn't even want to listen.
Went to get some take-out Chinese food for lunch and I was open carrying my Sig P226. The girl behind the counter engage me briefly about it. This is pretty much how it went... I'll quote her for ease to follow.
Is that a real gun?
Yes it is.
Are you a police officer?
No I am not.
You're not a police officer? Really?
No, I am just an ordinary citizen.
Oh. Did you get a permit to carry your gun?
No. In Virginia you are not required to have a permit to carry a gun.
Oh my! That sounds dangerous. Everyone can carry a gun?
Not exactly. If you are a felon or have been convicted of some forms of domestic violence .... (then she interrupts me)
So, anyone can carry a gun! That is so dangerous.
Its not as bad as you think.
Really? Why?
When someone is openly carrying a gun, there will obviously be some attention drawn. Criminals who illegally obtain and conceal guns to use for crimes don't want the attention. Good people who are not doing anything wrong and don't intended on doing anything wrong have no objection to openly carrying a gun for defense..... (she interrupts me again, but very rudely)
That still sounds dangerous and you make no sense. Here's your food. GOOD-BYE!
Thank you... (and I walked out.)
I need to have a better response ready. I think I have one sentence to convince some people. I have no idea what that could be.
Any of you have a great one-liner that will at least get someone to listen to more of what you have to say?
Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 18:41:48
by Palladin
Next time you're in a chinese joint and she hits you with that, just order the boosack noodle!
youtube that one... * NSFW *
Or just tell her that you can, but she can't.

Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 18:58:19
by MarcSpaz
That is hysterical! LOL

Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 19:24:40
by 0ne5hot
MarcSpaz wrote:
Oh. Did you get a permit to carry your gun?
No. In Virginia you are not required to have a permit to carry a gun.
I don't normally question the intellectual prowess of people that I have not had personal contact with, but she might be a few bricks shy of a full load.
If you would have used this as your reply, "The 2nd Amendment of The United States Constitution is my permit.", she might have thought....he "actually" has a permit so it is safe

Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 19:33:06
by MarcSpaz
She may not have heard of it. So, that may have actually worked.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] 
Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 19:34:27
by OakRidgeStars
What was even crazier was the fortune cookie

Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 23:00:59
by Beretta34
"Its not as bad as you think."
"Really? Why?"
" Because you and I won't have to wait for the police if the next guy through that door is an armed robber or a rapist. Have a nice day

"
Read more:
http://vagunforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... z2yv6K543v
Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 23:11:34
by MarcSpaz
Brilliant! I love it!
Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 23:43:24
by Jakeiscrazy
When someone says something like "That's dangerous!" I normally just ask "Why do you think that?" That just makes them think a little and kinda makes them reconsider.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] 
Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 23:56:46
by mamabearCali
Nice remember he who ask the questions controls the conversation.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] 
Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 08:44:05
by Reverenddel
Dude, people who hate guns, will never accept any explanation from us, no matter how logical.
She's one of them.
There is a progressive/commie who works at Panera on Rt 10/Jeff-Davis. And every time I go in there open-carrying, I get the P/C "Yer one of THEM" glare.
(shrugs) I write them off as "potential cannon fodder".
Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 20:16:49
by dusterdude
Oh poop,i know where im goin tomorrow
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 07:48:40
by Viper21
Reverenddel wrote:Dude, people who hate guns, will never accept any explanation from us, no matter how logical.
^^this. It's like a lot of political topics or what not. Most people have chosen a side, & NOTHING anybody with a different opinion says matters at all. When a good point is brought up that contradicts their position...... they aren't thinking of the common sense, or validity of that position, they are thinking of a comeback, or how to counter that opinion.
Most people aren't open to new idealogy. Only info that strengthens their existing opinions.
Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:52:46
by mamabearCali
Don't give up entirely 13 years ago I was mildly hostile to gun issues. Then after a few real world experiences and a few terrifying news stories I changed. Dramatically. So don't give up. Be who you are. When I turned my brothers were there to educate me. And y'all too. I spent a year and a half researching and rethinking. The website cornered cat helped me a ton too.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] 
Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:24:47
by MarcSpaz
I have to check that out. Never heard of it.
And, yes, I agree... real world experience has a way of changing one's prospective of many things.
Re: No Luck Trying to Educate Someone About Guns
Posted: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:33:11
by AlanM
FYI: Cornered Cat is a women's self defense site (concealed carry):
https://www.corneredcat.com/
Here's a quote from the main page of the site:
This site is about women and guns, not about cats. But in a way, it’s about the cornered cat in all of us. It’s about the determination to get away from an attacker if you need to. It’s about making the decision to say, “Not me. Not mine. Not today.” And it’s about the tools to make that decision stick.
My name is Kathy Jackson. I’m a firearms instructor, a homeschool mom, a small business owner, a former magazine editor, a freelance writer, and the author of this website.
If you have never been to my site before you should dive right in and start reading. There are currently over 120 chapters in my ever growing Table of Contents. I cover topics ranging from basic firearm safety to legal issues surrounding self-defense to raising children around guns to the moral implications of deadly force and much, much more.