Page 1 of 1

Active gun owner PAC?

Posted: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 09:59:20
by nyrkba
Is their a gun owner political action committee in Virgina that is actively doing something to support/oppose candidates this fall? I understand VCDL has one, but they don't seem to be doing much with it.

Re: Active gun owner PAC?

Posted: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 10:36:28
by zephyp
Hi nyrkba, 2AM, VCDL, VSSA, this forum, and NRA actions in VA are about it - all are very active in the political arena. Maybe not all have formal PACs.

Btw, please feel free to post a note in the http://vagunforum.net/new-members/ topic so we can give you a nice welcome.

Re: Active gun owner PAC?

Posted: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 11:00:15
by nyrkba
That's not what I'm asking. I don't mean lobbying or the e-mail-type legislative notices I've seen. Is someone raising money for candidates, making direct campaign contributions, GOTV mailings on behalf of a candidates, that sort of thing.

Re: Active gun owner PAC?

Posted: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 11:07:50
by zephyp
nyrkba wrote:That's not what I'm asking. I don't mean lobbying or the e-mail-type legislative notices I've seen. Is someone raising money for candidates, making direct campaign contributions, GOTV mailings on behalf of a candidates, that sort of thing.
I've given you several leads. Google is our friend.

Re: Active gun owner PAC?

Posted: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 11:18:06
by VBshooter
The main one I can think of is the NRA - PVF == Political Victory Fund,,they are taking collection monies and using it for gun friendly candidates

Re: Active gun owner PAC?

Posted: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:08:25
by nyrkba
I looked at Google and found nothing. That is why I came here.

It occurs to me that Virgina's election law might be more complicated than I assumed so perhaps it is a big deal to form a state PAC. With that in mind, do any of the groups listed do any indirect fundraising for candidates? For example, putting on a sporting clays shoot for a candidate where the entry fee goes directly to a candidate's committee, rather than through a gun owners PAC?

Re: Active gun owner PAC?

Posted: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:10:16
by zephyp
Perhaps if you gave us a little more information - like why you're interested in these things - we might be able to better answer your questions.

Re: Active gun owner PAC?

Posted: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:30:53
by nyrkba
I oversee the political activities in New York and I'm curious as to what goes on in other states.

Re: Active gun owner PAC?

Posted: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:48:34
by zephyp
nyrkba wrote:I oversee the political activities in New York and I'm curious as to what goes on in other states.
Thanks, that helps. To my knowledge, other than what VB mentioned above that type of activity does not go on here in VA. If it does, its off my scope and I am unaware. Most of the political activity with VA pro-gun groups is focused on writing our congressmen either through centralized e-mailings or hitting up groups like this one. VCDL is probably the biggest proponent and watchdog for this in VA. They review candidates and provide their opinion to gun owners and 2A supporters. Other efforts involve drives to support rallies and protests. NRA considers VA a ground zero state for the gun rights battle and hold special events for us. Some of the local organizations do solicit donations for themselves and candidates but not on a large scale basis.

Any help or suggestions you could provide would be much appreciated.

Re: Active gun owner PAC?

Posted: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 13:47:33
by nyrkba
That's what I thought. I've seen VCDL e-mails, but their PAC is insignificant.

Re: Active gun owner PAC?

Posted: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 21:14:44
by gfost1
Howdy, nyrkba,

The "system" in Virginia generally is and, at least in my experience, always has been, very low key. The NRA , VSSA and others work diligently under the radar. The VCDL, while it has more visibility, is a relatively new player and plowing new ground. As such, they have yet to develop the old school connections that the more established organizations have cultivated. While I personally prefer the VCDL's brand of activism, they are still outsiders to the political process in the Commonwealth.

I will attempt to describe, to the best of my understanding, how we do it down here:

George is young, idealistic, and has a lot of free time on his hands. He notices things happening that make him worry about his second amendment freedoms. The NRA sponsors a conveniently located Grassroots Activism Workshop which George attends. George meets other, like minded Georges and Janes. The Georges and Janes also meet more experienced activists, organizers, and sometimes candidates whose views are more or less aligned. Many of the Georges and Janes are impressed enough to sign up as grassroots activists.

The budding activists receive invitations to attend other workshops, and learn of opportunities to work on behalf of pro-gun candidates. Sometimes the activists are contacted directly by a campaign, but more often they are contacted by an organizer they know from a workshop, who asks them to work a booth at the Gun Show and hand out literature for a group called "Sportsmen for (your favorite pro-gun candidate)". Someone remembers to slap a bumper sticker on an empty pickle jar, and drops in a ten-spot to prime the pot. Your favorite pro-gun candidate is represented by a young, eager face to his target audience, who want to help.

Such activity waxes and wanes from one election cycle to the next, depending on the right political climate to motivate activists . Activists lose interest and drop out. A few are really good at it and move up the ladder. Recruiting and overall exchange of intelligence is pretty much word of mouth, even in the Age of Internet.

While it may appear (and probably is, to a great extent) wasteful and inefficient, imagine this scenario duplicated by a variety of special interests on an ongoing basis. Work is getting done, money is getting raised, and a highly motivated slave labor force is created out of thin air, as needed, at practically no expense.

Regards,

George