Page 1 of 1

After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Posted: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 07:08:35
by AlanM
Amazingly enough this is on an ABC website.

Exclusive: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'
nterpol Secretary General Ronald Noble said today the U.S. and the rest of the democratic world is at a security crossroads in the wake of last month's deadly al-Shabab attack at a shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya – and suggested an answer could be in arming civilians.

In an exclusive interview with ABC News, Noble said there are really only two choices for protecting open societies from attacks like the one on Westgate mall where so-called "soft targets" are hit: either create secure perimeters around the locations or allow civilians to carry their own guns to protect themselves.
In the interview with ABC News, Noble was more blunt and directed his comments to his home country.

"Ask yourself: If that was Denver, Col., if that was Texas, would those guys have been able to spend hours, days, shooting people randomly?" Noble said, referring to states with pro-gun traditions. "What I'm saying is it makes police around the world question their views on gun control. It makes citizens question their views on gun control. You have to ask yourself, 'Is an armed citizenry more necessary now than it was in the past with an evolving threat of terrorism?' This is something that has to be discussed."

"For me it's a profound question," he continued. "People are quick to say 'gun control, people shouldn't be armed,' etc., etc. I think they have to ask themselves: 'Where would you have wanted to be? In a city where there was gun control and no citizens armed if you're in a Westgate mall, or in a place like Denver or Texas?'"

Re: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Posted: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 07:16:20
by cwfunrider
Well the mall would probably be a gun free zone.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Re: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Posted: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:09:01
by Reverenddel
And like the ones I've been too, it's only "trespassing" if you WON'T leave! :whistle:

Just sayin'.

Re: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Posted: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:19:35
by Remek
Why do the leaders of third-world countries speak more sense than the the news/govt of our own country? Sad world we live in.

Re: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Posted: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:15:36
by AlanM
Remek wrote:Why do the leaders of third-world countries speak more sense than the the news/govt of our own country? Sad world we live in.
??????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Noble
Ronald Kenneth Noble (born 1956, at Fort Dix, New Jersey) is an American law enforcement officer, and the current Secretary General of INTERPOL.

Re: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Posted: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 13:28:12
by Remek
Woops. I read it too fast.

Re: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Posted: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 13:58:27
by AlanM
Remek wrote:Woops. I read it too fast.
Understandable, I was taken aback also. I've always considered Interpol to be a mostly European group.

Re: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Posted: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 19:22:54
by tinner666
Nice enough folk. I ran into them at Orly once when I told a stewardess I was going to hijack the plane if she wouldn't keep my rifles at her station instead of at my seat. Whoops!! Not the expression to use in the Seventies! :hysterical:

Re: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Posted: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 19:53:16
by steelheart
Interpol is international police. I do like the mans way of thinking!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Re: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Posted: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:50:47
by Newgunguy
I do believe that I hear the heads of some liberal anti's-gun heads exploding! Sound rather pleasing like a bubbling brook on a summer day.

Charles. :hysterical:

Re: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Posted: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 02:20:01
by Tweaker
IMPOSSIBRU!

Re: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Posted: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 04:39:29
by MarcSpaz
Finally.... Someone who gets its. Now if he could just convince gun haters around the world, we will be alright.

Forget about the honest, law abiding citizen, I'll tell you this... even if its a gun free zone, if that went down in Hoodbridge, VA., MS13, Crips, Bloods or any one of the other 116+ known gangs would have taken those guys out in seconds! LOL