Page 1 of 1

Up-Coming Hunting Season

Posted: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 12:09:39
by Taggure
Well getting ready for the up-coming hunting season and with archery season almost knocking on the door I thought that I would like to try hunting with a crossbow this year. Don't get me wrong I will still hunt with my compound but I thought why the heck not. So I was looking at all of the reviews for an entry level crossbow and found that I liked the writeups on the Barnett Jackal. The Jackal is a 150 pound 315FPKE crosbow that shoots 20" min 425 grain arrows. The average kill range is out to ~40 - 50 yards which is very close to what I would shoot with my compound. I really did not want to spend a whole lot for it just getting started so I was looking around for deals. I found this one on E-Bay and should be getting it in this week.

Image

Image

From what I have read so far I am finding out that there are a lot of things that you need to know about the crossbow to make them an accurate hunting machine. Things like arrow weight and balance, types of brodheads to use, what to rest on and what not to rest on when taking a shot hunting.

If anyone else hunts with a crossbow please chide in with your lessons learned.

Re: Up-Coming Hunting Season

Posted: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:27:56
by Taggure
What nobody hunts with a crossbow?

Re: Up-Coming Hunting Season

Posted: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:55:58
by OakRidgeStars
Besides Ted Nugent?

Re: Up-Coming Hunting Season

Posted: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 18:07:31
by Vince
I am a big bow hunter. I am all about harvesting game, be it with a crossbow or a knife...

Re: Up-Coming Hunting Season

Posted: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 22:23:50
by Palladin
Old buddy of mine is going crossbow this year, sez he can't draw his compound sitting down, and can't take the long stands without sitting. I hope he does well.