Page 1 of 1
FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 13:39:43
by UnderwaterMike
Anybody here use
FIREClean? Is this stuff worth $7.50 an ounce? All the reviews I can find are great, but I can buy a bottle of Hoppes, a can of CLP and fat tube of hi-temp bearing grease for about half that price. I like that the FIREClean is non-toxic, but that cost just blows me away (pun intended).
Any thoughts?
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 14:26:50
by gunderwood
I have not. I had seen it and thank you for reminding me because I keep forgetting to try it out...placed an order.
I've tried a lot of things and I think it's really about finding what works for you and what firearm system you're using it on. For example, Glocks are intended to run dry and in my experience are not picky about what you use to lube them with. My high dollar 1911 is very picky and requires a lot more. ARs are a pain to clean so anything that works for them is worth trying. I wouldn't buy this for just any old gun though. ARs really must be run quite wet. Running them dry is the #1 cause of stoppages. It will be a filthy mess in the upper/lower when you're done!
My thoughts:
1. As much as possible for solvents I use biodegradable/non-toxic. I hate wearing latex gloves to clean a gun and I've found that for most firearm, you don't need or want a harsh solvent. Towards this end I love M-Pro 7 spray cleaner. Easy to apply to most firearms, fairly cheap if you buy the large jug (1gal) and just refill the small bottles. It works fine for nearly everything, but heavy copper deposits.
2. I use Montana Extreme .50BMG copper solvent for that. Be careful with it because it's very harsh, but works wonders if there is still copper in the bore after a firing session. I typically only use it for big bore/long range tactical guns that copper foul badly. E.g. .50BMG, .338LM, 300WM, etc. I also use 90% Rubbing Alcohol to make sure I've gotten everything out of the bore on the precision guns.
3. For the range almost anything will work fine. However, for HD I prefer thicker oils that will stay in place since the gun is stored for so long and I won't have a chance to check it for lube first.
4. Anything that burns oil, like an AR, or is a semi-auto that's suppressed you need higher quality lubes. The lube will burn off, its just a matter of how it does so. If it gums up the gun find something else.
For most people (range use, not harsh conditions or long storage periods with immediate needs) most anything will do fine (including auto oil). I can't wait to try this in an AR15/10 and hope it works like they claim.
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 14:40:01
by UnderwaterMike
Interesting comments, thanks. I usually clean with Hoppe's 9 and used to have a tube of Lucas Oil X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease (until I ran over it). Got a bunch of bottles of thinner oils (Rem Oil, etc.) for wiping down and taking to the range. If I could do away with some of the smell and toxicity, that would be good.
The FIREClean is as highly rated as Slip 2000 EWL-30, which is what I was going to buy, but is twice the price. The video demos and reviews of the FIREClean make it look like the thing to buy, but there's just something I can't swallow about paying that much money for lube, especially since I clean a gun after every couple trips to the range. The only reason I'd buy it is that I'm compulsive about caring for my toys, not because I skip cleanings excessively.
That said, I have a DPMS .308 that I want to start shooting more, an AK that I just finished painting and rebuilding (pix up later), and my next project is building a 5.56. If the FIREClean is going to do a demonstrably better job than anything else, I'll grudgingly find the money.
Please be sure to post your thoughts on it when you have a chance.
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 14:48:44
by Chasbo00
I bought some this stuff recently, but I've not had any experience with it yet. My expectation is that it may make cleanup of my semi-auto pistols (about all I shoot anymore) a little easier. I think that about the only advantage all these newer gun lubricants really offer is that most are non-toxic and don't smell bad. If FIREclean really does make my gun cleaning easier, then I'll be happy, but my expectations are pretty low.
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 20:14:36
by Swampman
Anyone have experience with Frog Lube? Supposed to be non-toxic and works to clean and lube at the same time. Generally, I don't like stuff that is supposed to do two things at once because it generally doesn't do two things well. I much prefer to clean with good quality solvents and use a good lube.
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 20:46:08
by UnderwaterMike
The bit I read doesn't rate Frog Lube as highly as FIREClean or the EWL 30. Not sure how accurate that article is, but all three products kind of fit in that same clean AND lubricate category.
I'm in the process of reassembling my MAK. If I don't make a decision soon, it's back to bearing grease for me!
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 22:13:53
by UnderwaterMike
I have to say that after reading and watching a few more reviews, I may just pry open my dusty wallet and drop some bucks on this stuff. The company is headquartered someplace in Chantilly (I think), and I'd like to support a local business if I can.
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 23:48:42
by 762
I have tried frog lube and like it. Mainly the smell (minty) and non-toxic. I applied it to an AK after a class in the mud, and between all the dirt in the gun and subsequent cleaning it is WAY smoother than it was before.
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 20:32:09
by Swampman
Might just have to try it. Thanks for the input.
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 20:49:47
by Jakeiscrazy
If it aint broke, don't fix it. Have no reliability issues cleaning with Mpro7 and using almost any light oil. Just don't over lube and you'll be fine. On rails I use grease, I have some silicon grease works fine for me. I think people over think cleaning. BTW Hoppes is a much better cleaner than Mpro7 but I like the low smell to MPro and the fact it doesn't eat plastic.
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 20:55:26
by dmharvey
I'm a big fan of trusty old Hoppe's and this stuff -
http://www.militec-1.com/
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 20:58:45
by FiremanBob
I'm about to order a can of Eezox (eezox.com) which is highly recommended by the in-crowd at Rimfirecentral.
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:46:13
by UnderwaterMike
I did go out and get a bottle of this stuff from the NRA Range for $15. I hope it lubes as well as it says, because it sure doesn't seem like it. It's also very runny and doesn't stay put like grease does.
Please note that dogs must like the smell of this stuff, because I left the room with the top off only to find that my dog had knocked the bottle over and was licking it off the carpet. It's non-toxic, and she's okay, but most of my investment is now soaked into the floor in front of my big screen.

Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:04:36
by DiscipleofJMB
FireClean is decent. I haven't used it long-term but I've used it on ARs I'm building for a local manufacturer and it seems very lubricious and spreads around a lot.
I HAVE used Slip2000 EWL with great success. I have an 11.5" BCM upper that has about 2600 rounds through it, at least 900 of them suppressed. I have never cleaned it past pulling a boresnake through every 500 rounds and adding a couple drops of EWL to the BCG. No failures.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:30:39
by NovaHunter
We've used Fireclean quite a bit on our AR-15's and for lubing suppressors too. It has worked really well in all the applications we've tried it and is a mainstay on our Armorer's bench now.
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 13:08:47
by UnderwaterMike
Giving it a shot this afternoon on my rebuilt MAK. I hope to put 100 rounds through it, if the crowd cooperates.
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 19:16:56
by gunderwood
NovaHunter wrote:We've used Fireclean quite a bit on our AR-15's and for lubing suppressors too. It has worked really well in all the applications we've tried it and is a mainstay on our Armorer's bench now.
Lubing the a pistol suppressor (vice wire gel)? Or something else?
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 14:45:45
by Chasbo00
Chasbo00 wrote:I bought some this stuff recently, but I've not had any experience with it yet. My expectation is that it may make cleanup of my semi-auto pistols (about all I shoot anymore) a little easier. I think that about the only advantage all these newer gun lubricants really offer is that most are non-toxic and don't smell bad. If FIREclean really does make my gun cleaning easier, then I'll be happy, but my expectations are pretty low.
I've now had the time to try this stuff on three different pistols and a revolver. I do think it does a better job of preventing carbon buildup than anything else I've tried, and as a result, cleaning is a little faster and easier. So, my assessment is that the stuff does live up to its name. It's not a super liquid though, just a little better than any of the other CLP's I've tried before.
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:06:04
by Remek
Frog lube has quietly displaced all else in my box for general maintenance. The stuff is pricey, but awesome, and it smells wonderful, and its edible so no worries with kids/dogs. I show up with a dry gun at the range, and fire a round, and its wet wet wet. I love it!
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] 
Re: FIREClean / lubrication question
Posted: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:12:00
by Remek
I should answer the question above, it does a great job with easy wipe cleaning, and works well in all my platforms.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] 