Page 1 of 1
Could you make a 56 yard shot? Under stress?
Posted: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:24:15
by Jakeiscrazy
This guy made a 56 yard shot with a colt python that took down a man on a shooting spree. It happened a year ago and now the in depth breakdown can be released.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/0 ... -shootout/
Re: Could you make a 56 yard shot? Under stress?
Posted: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:20:35
by M1A4ME
Not everyone is affected by stress. Some go to pieces at the time. Some go to pieces when its over. Some never get excited in the least.
A good handgun/caliber in the hands of a good handgun shooter (meaning that the shooter knows the gun/cartridge, where to aim at varying distances, etc.) should be accurate well past 58 yds.
A python should be accurate. And it sounds like the shooter stayed calm/cool.
Re: Could you make a 56 yard shot? Under stress?
Posted: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:30:46
by Palladin
Thanks for posting that, Jake. Good stuff.
Hope no one ever has to find out.
Re: Could you make a 56 yard shot? Under stress?
Posted: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 20:06:12
by HighExpert
I once hit a bowling pin at 100yds... twice in a row. There was a small fortune on the table at the time and I don't think I would take the bet again, but I was really hot that day. S&W Model 66 with 2" barrel .357 shooting 125gr HP reloads. Shooting one handed Bullseye style. It was the talk of the town for a few days.
Re: Could you make a 56 yard shot? Under stress?
Posted: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 21:01:19
by jrswanson1
56 yards? Depends on which gun I'm using. My CCW? With a good rest. Any of my open carry gun? Sure. I'd prefer a rifle, though.
Re: Could you make a 56 yard shot? Under stress?
Posted: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 21:30:10
by FiremanBob
With a 6" Python and a good rest...it was an excellent shot and he deserves the utmost respect for his skill and coolness. But it wasn't a miracle.
Re: Could you make a 56 yard shot? Under stress?
Posted: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 03:07:28
by MarcSpaz
Man... good job. That is one heck of a shot. I popped off a few rounds while unsupported at the 50 yard line with my Sig p226. It was a chore to say the least. Under stress of return fire knowing some folks were just killed... hat tip to Vic Stacy for sure.
Re: Could you make a 56 yard shot? Under stress?
Posted: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 07:31:20
by Kreutz
With my small 9mm CC pistol...no. Twenty yards is about the maximum I can get out of it, and thats versus a piece of paper while calm.
WIth a big boy like the Python I'd venture a "unlikely though possible".
Re: Could you make a 56 yard shot? Under stress?
Posted: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:59:51
by jdonovan
357 from a rest at 50 yds against a 8-10" target, and not yet being shot at. Seems very much within the realm of very plausible shots.
3 of 4 against a prone target while taking return fire. That's where the skill was shown.
Re: Could you make a 56 yard shot? Under stress?
Posted: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 13:30:15
by NovaHunter
Hat tip to Mr. Stacey, that is some good shooting when it really mattered.
Re: Could you make a 56 yard shot? Under stress?
Posted: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 13:31:18
by MarcSpaz
yep... for sure.