Page 1 of 1

Virginia resident using another state's CC permit

Posted: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:54:32
by optiksguy
Another state I visit for family reasons is generally OC friendly, however they require a concealed carry permit for loaded open carry in a vehicle. Since I don't want to handle a firearm everytime I get into and out of my car while visiting, I would just get a non-res concealed carry permit for that state. I was curious though, can I use that also while at home in Virginia? Or can Virginians only use Virginia's resident CHP? Section 18.2-308 of the code says "It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of clause (i) regarding a handgun, that a person had been issued, at the time of the offense, a valid concealed handgun permit. " which makes me think it would be ok, but I wasn't sure if I was missed something.

Re: Virginia resident using another state's CC permit

Posted: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 21:04:25
by ProShooter
Va (for the time being) still honors the Pa. non-resident permit, but not vice-versa; so yes you could carry in Va. with the Pa non-resident permit.

You will have to get the Pa. permit in person though, no more "through the mail".