Page 1 of 1

Bore brush cleaning question.

Posted: Thu, 16 May 2013 15:44:53
by WBlacklidge
I have an M&P 40c and M&P 22.

I have been using the following cleaning kit for my 40c and use an additional .22 jag and pieces of T-Shirt to clean my 22 with the following kit:

Kleenbore Gun Care PocKit Handgun Cleaning Set
http://www.amazon.com/Kleenbore-Gun-Car ... ing+kit+40

Questions:
1) There is some rust forming on the brass bore brush. It is on the metal that holds the brushes in place. Should I replace this part?
2) The metal that holds the brass bristles in place on the bore brush and the metal that holds the mop... is it a harder metal than the stainless my barrel is made of? If so do I risk screwing up my barrel if I do something stupid?
3) I use an old tshirt or paper towel to dry the cleaning tools. Should I be doing anything else to prevent them from rusting?

Thank you for your advice and time!

Re: Bore brush cleaning question.

Posted: Fri, 17 May 2013 06:21:46
by M1A4ME
I don't clean/dry my brushes off. Maybe the Hoppes#9 helps prevent rust on the metal.

I don't use a mop. I just use patches and brushes. I'd be afraid the mop would absorb the crud over time and contribute to wear or make cleaning take longer. I use patches and toss the dirty/used ones in the trash when I'm done. That way the crud I clean out of the barrel is really gone for good.

Re: Bore brush cleaning question.

Posted: Fri, 17 May 2013 08:55:26
by WBlacklidge
I wish I could remember what cleaner and lube I use. Maybe I should switch.

The mop that came with the kit cleans up great, no problems there.

Also, wouldn't the crud in the barrel be carbon and maybe lead from the bullet? Those are both much softer than the stainless. I can't see that fouling things up.

Re: Bore brush cleaning question.

Posted: Fri, 17 May 2013 10:05:57
by skeeterss0
the brass of the brush bristles are softer than the stainless barrel. The metal that holds the bristles should not be touching the barrel, but then again I would think it is softer than the stainless anyways. If you are keeping your cleaning gear in a pouch or anything that can hold moisture I would reccommend against it. Your cleaning gear, brushes should be able to breathe. Wiping down your cleaning gear is fine but never use anything like water to clean them. Perhaps a light solvant and you can lightly oil all metal parts.

Re: Bore brush cleaning question.

Posted: Fri, 17 May 2013 10:07:34
by ProShooter
Buy a BoreSnake......problem solved. - http://www.hoppes.com/boresnake

Re: Bore brush cleaning question.

Posted: Tue, 21 May 2013 08:35:22
by WBlacklidge
Thank you all that answered.

I actually went the route of purchasing these:

Otis No.22 Brush (22 Rim-Fire, 219, 22, 222)
Outers .22 - .257 Caliber/6 - 6.5mm Wool Mop/Swab

Both had brass retainers so I think I am safe.

I have avoided a bore snake because being a novice I thought they were only appropriate for long rifle barrels. It does seem to be the safest way to go... less metal.