Page 1 of 1

Review of Intermediate Pistol Class at Northern VA Tactical

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 13:18:34
by AirForceAce357
I had a great time taking Intermediate Pistol with the great people at Northern VA Tactical! We worked on drawing, reloads, movement, multiple targets, and shooting from retention at close range. It was a great class, and I learned a lot. My Gen 4 G17 was 100% reliable through the 550 rounds we put downrange (now at 1300 rounds total in its 11 month life with ZERO malfunctions!) and I shot pretty well for the most part. I do need to practice my footwork for withdrawals more and remember to squeeze more effectively with my support hand to counter recoil.

Our instructor is named Blake and he was also my instructor when I took Basic Pistol (basically a intro CCW qual type course) from NVT back in February. He's a great teacher, knows his stuff (is a local LEO and an instructor for his dept), and keeps the mood light and fun. He also gives good, logical and real world basis for his techniques and philosophies, which is something I really value in an instructor!


Afterward, we had time to shoot on some steel popper targets for fun. This run is me doing that. I was able to easily put multiple hits on the bigger poppers before they fell (we had a challenge to see who could get 3 before the target fell), but hitting the smaller steel plates higher up on the bank is tough. I was only able to hit one before running out of ammo.
Still a lot of fun, and I highly recommend NV Tactical for anyone living in northern VA who needs good tactical training at a reasonable price! Here's their website: http://www.nvtactical.com

Gear I used for those who care:
Gun: Gen 4 G17 w/ Trijicon Night Sights and Lone Wolf 3.5 connector
Ammo: 115gr Tula FMJ
Holster: Blackhawk SERPA
Mag Holders: Blackhawk
Ear Protection: Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs
Eye Protection: Remington T-72 clear, anti fog glasses

Here is one of my "fun runs" on the steel popper targets:


Re: Review of Inntermediate Pistol Class at Northern VA Tactical

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 13:56:42
by Chasbo00
You should give the monthly all steel match at Black Creek near Richmond a try. I think you would enjoy it.

Second Saturday of the month: http://blackcreeksteel.wordpress.com/

Re: Review of Inntermediate Pistol Class at Northern VA Tactical

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 14:16:57
by AirForceAce357
Chasbo00 wrote:You should give the monthly all steel match at Black Creek near Richmond a try. I think you would enjoy it.

Second Saturday of the month: http://blackcreeksteel.wordpress.com/
Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is that I live in Arlington and don't always have access to a vehicle. I'm also more interested in defensive applications than competition personally but I may give it a try sometime. Thanks again!

Re: Review of Inntermediate Pistol Class at Northern VA Tactical

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 15:31:38
by Chasbo00
AirForceAce357 wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is that I live in Arlington and don't always have access to a vehicle. I'm also more interested in defensive applications than competition personally but I may give it a try sometime. Thanks again!
There are quite a few who regularly shoot this match that are not really competitive shooters. They are repeat shooters at this match because It's just a lot of fun to shoot - like shooting steel was at your course. There are plenty of videos if you would like to get an idea of the match - just Google Black Creek Steel.

Re: Review of Inntermediate Pistol Class at Northern VA Tactical

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:32:07
by AirForceAce357
Chasbo00 wrote:
AirForceAce357 wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is that I live in Arlington and don't always have access to a vehicle. I'm also more interested in defensive applications than competition personally but I may give it a try sometime. Thanks again!
There are quite a few who regularly shoot this match that are not really competitive shooters. They are repeat shooters at this match because It's just a lot of fun to shoot - like shooting steel was at your course. There are plenty of videos if you would like to get an idea of the match - just Google Black Creek Steel.
Noted and I think I'll take a look at it. I haven't done it much but I (and the other students at the course that day) found shooting steel to be very addictive and challenging! Love hearing that "ping" when it hits :) !!

Re: Review of Inntermediate Pistol Class at Northern VA Tactical

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:32:53
by ProShooter
AirForceAce357 wrote:I had a great time taking Intermediate Pistol with the great people at Northern VA Tactical!

Are they a new company? I've never heard of them before. Its always good to know another source to send people to.

The course you took sounds just like our Defensive Handgun I class...some of the same topics are covered.

Re: Review of Inntermediate Pistol Class at Northern VA Tactical

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:47:03
by AirForceAce357
ProShooter wrote:
AirForceAce357 wrote:I had a great time taking Intermediate Pistol with the great people at Northern VA Tactical!

Are they a new company? I've never heard of them before. Its always good to know another source to send people to.

The course you took sounds just like our Defensive Handgun I class...some of the same topics are covered.
They've been around since 2006 I believe and were founded by Tommy Thacker who, up til recently was a sponsored shooter for FNH and is one of the owners of Louden Guns. The instructor Blake also works at Louden Guns and is a Louden County Deputy, including the dept's instructor. There's more on them at their website (link in my OP). Again I like them due to the relationship I've developed and the fact they're close by where I live.

Re: Review of Inntermediate Pistol Class at Northern VA Tactical

Posted: Thu, 30 May 2013 16:31:23
by Cheezin
Sounds good. What is the round count for the class, and how much is it for the course. I have been looking around for some quality training.

Re: Review of Inntermediate Pistol Class at Northern VA Tactical

Posted: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 13:43:02
by AirForceAce357
Cheezin wrote:Sounds good. What is the round count for the class, and how much is it for the course. I have been looking around for some quality training.
Round count for this class was 500 rounds. Cost is $200. Well worth it on both counts! Highly recommend this outfit and ill be going back for their Advanced pistol and even some carbine classes too.