Page 1 of 1

DHS using 1,000 more rounds per person than the US Army?

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 10:05:28
by dorminWS

Re: DHS using 1,000 more rounds per person than the US Army?

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 10:55:16
by dorminWS

Re: DHS using 1,000 more rounds per person than the US Army?

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 10:55:41
by Reverenddel
THAT is scary stuff! :tinfoil:

Re: DHS using 1,000 more rounds per person than the US Army?

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 11:22:23
by dorminWS
Well, it's been "debunked" to death, but it's never died. And now Congress is beginning to pay attention to it. It all tends to make it hard to believe but hard to ignore, too. I do think it would be a good thing if the feds would stop buying ammo they don't need anytime soon.

Re: DHS using 1,000 more rounds per person than the US Army?

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 11:32:36
by Chasbo00
Everything is relative. I shoot a lot more than 1600 pistol rounds a year.

Agree that the stockpiling should stop though.

Re: DHS using 1,000 more rounds per person than the US Army?

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 12:16:08
by dorminWS
I used to shoot a lot more than I do now that I can't replace what I shoot.

And I can see that maybe DHS did have a need to train a lot of new agents in a short time; but surely that's done by now. And then there's the point Gunderwood nailed - that DHS said themselves that they were using ammo around 10% as fast as they were buying it. And there can be NO doubt that the present administration is implacably hostile to the free excercise by we citizens of our 2nd Amendment rights. So while I don't feel the need quite yet to get fitted for a tinfoil hat, I don't trust the federal government, either. I don't trust their motives. I don't trust them to respect our God-given rights and liberties, and I particularly don't trust what they say; because I don't trust them (1) to KNOW the truth, and (2) to TELL the truth even if they should happen to know it. And the press has completely abrogated it's function under the FIRST Amendment; which is to keep the public reliably informed.

Re: DHS using 1,000 more rounds per person than the US Army?

Posted: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 19:26:58
by TonfaSartan
I'm not all that worried about the 1,300 rounds per year number. If anything this tells me that the military is woe-fully undertrained. I want law enforcement officers operating in my community to practice with about 100 rounds a month so that should the day ever come, they are able to exercise judicious marksmanship and not hit a bystander.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the billions of rounds is ridiculous. I think that it is an attempt to price many of us out of the sport.

All of that said, before the market went nuts I was shooting around 500 rounds of rimfire a week and around 100 rounds of .40 S&W a month. When I taught the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Course I advocated that people should shoot at least 100 rounds per quarter just to maintain proficiency. I just don't see 1,300 rounds per Officer/Agent as all that shocking.