Page 1 of 1

Looking for Advice on 270 vs 308 calibers

Posted: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 11:42:17
by HEX
How do the .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester compare in terms of:

RECOIL (similar bullet weights in similar weight guns)

NOISE/MUZZLE BLAST/FLASH (again, similar loads in similar barrel lengths)

OVERALL PERFORMANCE (actually, I have a good idea how they perform, but again, I've never shot them...)

I'm currently looking to buy a hunting/target/SHTF rifle in these calibers. Does the short action have any great advantages over the long action?

Re: Looking for Advice on 270 vs 308 calibers

Posted: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 12:01:25
by moss20
I love my .308, have never shot a .270, so I can't compare the two. My .308 has Hogue stock which really limits recoil.

Short term consideration is that you can still find plenty of .270 ammo right now.

I bought my son a 30-06 last Sat. due to ammo availability and it came with a Hogue stock, so he won't keep asking to use my .308.

Re: Looking for Advice on 270 vs 308 calibers

Posted: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 12:11:37
by Jollyrogers66
There is many comparisons on the net if you search for it via google http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les ... 09&bih=716

But, I will give my opinion since you ask. First, my experience is mostly with a .270, as I received my first real rifle for my 13th B-day and it was a .270 REM 700BDL. I hunted with that rifle a lot (I am 46 now). I used light loads for varmint and heavier loads like 150grn for deer. It was not a good woods rifle IMO, however it was an awesome power line or field rifle. It shot relatively flat, and took deer with some great shots on a power lines, but had rounds deflected in the woods. I have little experience with .308, but I do know it has a larger variety of loading data for it, is more readily available, and shoots very well.

Personally, if I had a chance to do it again, I probably would choose the .308 over a .270.

ETA: .270 kick is comparable to a 30-06, but that is somewhat dependent on the load. When I was a kid, I had many a scope imprints prior to deer season on my forehead :-) and started wearing a knit cap with a piece of foam tucked in it to protect my forehead. LOL, but remember, I was a gangly teen then...

Re: Looking for Advice on 270 vs 308 calibers

Posted: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 12:29:26
by Hocktl
I agree with JollyRoger. If for nothing else because you included SHTF. 308 has many more load variants for hunting and targets. For SHTF (at least till the liberals ban it all) the most used prevalent rounds will be 5.56/223 and to a lessor degree 7.62/308. In other words, you can't carry an ammo can on your back so if you have to replenish ammo you'll find 308 more available than 270 from a preppers point of view.

With all that said, either will do all you want. However due to bullet/load versatility, brass/ammo availability my nod would go to 308.

Re: Looking for Advice on 270 vs 308 calibers

Posted: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 13:37:02
by gunderwood
I'd go with the 308Win. However, at VA hunting ranges of less than hundreds of yards I doubt it makes one bit of difference. Heck, I hunt with a .45-70 because it drops them right now EVERY time and the woods are dense enough that every shot I've take has been <100 yards. Unless you're hunting fields rather than woods, it really doesn't matter as long as it is enough cartridge for the game.

Re: Looking for Advice on 270 vs 308 calibers

Posted: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 14:39:16
by jrswanson1
If you're a reloader, the .308 uses less powder than the .270 or the 30-06.

Re: Looking for Advice on 270 vs 308 calibers

Posted: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 07:59:39
by jdonovan
HEX wrote:How do the .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester compare in terms of:

RECOIL (similar bullet weights in similar weight guns)
The are within 5% of eachother in energy, so recoil will be similar.
NOISE/MUZZLE BLAST/FLASH (again, similar loads in similar barrel lengths)
No noteworthy differences
OVERALL PERFORMANCE
No meaningful differences until you get to longer ranges. The 270 might be arguable that its better in the 300+ yard range, but frankly if you were hunting in the 400+ range, you'd be better served by a more powerful cartridge.
I'm currently looking to buy a hunting/target/SHTF rifle in these calibers.
A hunting rifle isn't what I'd look for in a SHTF rifle. A Rem 700 might be a fine game getter, but its never going to be a battle rifle. My M1a will put meat on the table and is a fine battle rifle.
Does the short action have any great advantages over the long action?
You'll save a few oz. of weight, and have to move the bolt 3/4" less to chamber a round. Gun writers have made much to do about little with regard to long vs short action.

There is a +/- on having a utility rifle in the same caliber as common military cartridges. If you are scrounging its much more likely to be able to find it. However when the panics hit, there won't be any to buy.

Try buying 308 ammo right now, nearly unavailable. Now look for 7mm mag, 243, 270, etc... relatively good supply.