Page 1 of 1

Mountains of northwestern VA

Posted: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 12:40:08
by Machias
Howdee, any chance you guys can point me towards some areas in northwestern VA's mountains where a guy can hike in and be away from roads/people. What are the atv laws in the G.W. National Forrest, can you get away from atvs? Thanks for any help.

Re: Mountains of northwestern VA

Posted: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 12:50:57
by dorminWS
There ain't no such THING as Northwestern Virginia; at least not since 1863. That's when they went into business for themselves as "West Virginia". There's only a Southwest Virginia.

Re: Mountains of northwestern VA

Posted: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:10:01
by Machias
:roll: Ok, anything in the mountains of Virginia you can help me with? :wave:

Re: Mountains of northwestern VA

Posted: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:31:30
by dorminWS
I'm 364 miles from Stafford, so I'm hardly local. But I know there's some mighty pretty country in the Shenandoah National Forest. I used to turn off I-81N at New Market and cross the mountain (on rt 211?), coming out at Manassas on the way to duck & goose hunt on the Eastern Shore. Also the GW Forest is accessible as close as the Staunton/Waynesboro area. Jefferson National Forest if you come as far west as our neck of the woods. Don't know for sure, but the way to bet is that any National Forest is going to be inhospitable to anything but foot traffic when off the hardtop. Out here, there's nothing they like better than closing roads to vehicle traffic. Heck; they'd just as soon you didn't even WALK in THEIR forest. Hunting is permitted in seaon, AFAIK.

Re: Mountains of northwestern VA

Posted: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 15:05:05
by Machias
Awesome, thanks!! I appreciate it.

Re: Mountains of northwestern VA

Posted: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 15:16:44
by dorminWS
I understand West Virginia has some really nice parks and recreation areas. Maybe you should also check them out.

Re: Mountains of northwestern VA

Posted: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 15:38:51
by WRW
Go to the Appalachian Trail and turn left to go to Georgia or right to go to Maine. The Maryland section has the first Washington Monument.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Re: Mountains of northwestern VA

Posted: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:37:37
by Machias
dorminWS wrote:I understand West Virginia has some really nice parks and recreation areas. Maybe you should also check them out.
Any idea on what the non-resident fees are for a deer tag?

Re: Mountains of northwestern VA

Posted: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:38:14
by Machias
WRW wrote:Go to the Appalachian Trail and turn left to go to Georgia or right to go to Maine. The Maryland section has the first Washington Monument.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Okie Dokie! :roll:

Re: Mountains of northwestern VA

Posted: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 22:37:28
by sgedicks
Not a lot of back country left up here, but you van escape the highway noise up on the ridges from Edinburg up to Strasburg in the George Washington national forest...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Re: Mountains of northwestern VA

Posted: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 22:59:24
by moss20
Lots of trails along Skyline Drive, a couple of nice trails in New Market, Orkney Springs, Runions Creek, Briery Branch. Stop at a Ranger Station and pick-up some maps.

Re: Mountains of northwestern VA

Posted: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 23:46:40
by Machias
Thanks guys, I appreciate it a bunch!