Page 1 of 1

New member from Herndon

Posted: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 22:22:53
by mjc3022
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and gun-owners community. I can already tell this place is like a treasure trove of knowledge and look forward to learning from all of you.

Bought my first gun, a Ruger Sr-9 about a month ago. Absolutely love it, have put about a 1000 rounds through it at the NRA Range in Fairfax. To save some ammo costs, I just bought a Ruger Sr-22p online -- arrived at the local gun shop today -- will hopefully pick up tomorrow.

I'm sure this has probably been covered somewhere in this forum -- but I'd like to try and find somewhere outdoors to shoot in the NOVA area. From what I've read online so far, there doesn't seem to be many options. I've been camping in Gore, VA before and I've been told they have an outdoor range there; I'll have to take a trip out there sometime soon. Does anyone have any other suggestions re outdoor shooting?

Might be a shot in the dark, but figured I'd ask: I was also wondering if anyone in the NOVA area has private property that I could pay a fee to target shoot on (where permitted by local ordinances)?

Anyway, look forward to engaging with this community.

Best,

Matt

Re: New member from Herndon

Posted: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 22:53:40
by Newgunguy
Well howdy,

I too bought a Ruger as my first handgun, the SR9c, and love mine.

Since I'm still in commie mass I have that magazine safety and the orange round indicator on mine.

:welcome:

Charles.

Re: New member from Herndon

Posted: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 07:33:01
by OakRidgeStars
Welcome to VGOF! :welcome: :wave:

Re: New member from Herndon

Posted: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 00:12:12
by Palladin
:welcome: To VGOF, Matt! :clap:

Shot my brother's SR9c last week - holy crap that's a sweet pistol!

Re: New member from Herndon

Posted: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 01:08:34
by Jakeiscrazy
:welcome:
You should try and make it to the VGOF Meet, Greet, and Shoot in Gore VA at the Cove Campground on the 25th.

http://vagunforum.net/meet-and-greet/bb ... 13334.html

Re: New member from Herndon

Posted: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:21:30
by POP3Y3
Welcome Matt! I also live in Herndon. Glad to hear you've found this awesome site. It's been very helpful for me. There's also at least a couple other range options closer to us than the NRA range in ffx.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Re: New member from Herndon

Posted: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 10:35:29
by Chasbo00
mjc3022 wrote: I'm sure this has probably been covered somewhere in this forum -- but I'd like to try and find somewhere outdoors to shoot in the NOVA area. From what I've read online so far, there doesn't seem to be many options. I've been camping in Gore, VA before and I've been told they have an outdoor range there; I'll have to take a trip out there sometime soon. Does anyone have any other suggestions re outdoor shooting?
The only outdoor places to shoot rifles and pistols in NOVA that I'm aware of all private clubs. Here is search tool that's pretty good at finding places to shoot (both public and private) by location:

http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/

If joining a private club is not something you are interested in doing, then you could do what I did - take up competition shooting. In my case, I decided to take up action pistol shooting. Most matches are held at private clubs and they are they open to the public. The match fees for other than major events are usually less than it costs to rent a lane for an hour at one of the NOVA indoor ranges.

Re: New member from Herndon

Posted: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 13:09:15
by kelu
Hi Matt,
I have joined IWLA in Centreville and I can say it worth the money.
http://www.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org/location.html
You can shoot pistol, rifle, shotgun, bow, as many times a year as you like.

Re: New member from Herndon

Posted: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:02:29
by gunderwood
:welcome:

Re: New member from Herndon

Posted: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:39:36
by Riposite
welcome :)