Page 1 of 1
State park ranges
Posted: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 23:41:58
by MrSmitty
I must be reading the websites wrong, correct me if so. Are the ranges on public lands closed between March,and September? I mean ranges like Amelia? It seems the way the sites are posted that they are closed at those times....am I wrong?
Re: State park ranges
Posted: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 09:23:23
by meak99
If you're speaking of the Wildlife Management Areas (WMA), then yes. Looking at the VA DGIF website...
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=11
"The range is open for public use Tuesday through Sunday from September 1 - March 31, except for any specific range closures noted above."
What are you looking to do, just sight in rifles & pattern shotguns?
Re: State park ranges
Posted: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 09:52:56
by MrSmitty
meak99 wrote:If you're speaking of the Wildlife Management Areas (WMA), then yes. Looking at the VA DGIF website...
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=11
"The range is open for public use Tuesday through Sunday from September 1 - March 31, except for any specific range closures noted above."
What are you looking to do, just sight in rifles & pattern shotguns?
No, I just want to shoot.. I have an Ishapore in 7.62x51 that I've never shot, and I can't afford the "membership" fees on some private ranges, and Fort Lee,, only allows up to 5.56mm rifles......aaarrrggghhhh. I thought Virginia was a gun friendly state, I guess it is a gun friendly state, but not a gun shooter friendly state....
Re: State park ranges
Posted: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:58:24
by YoungGunVA
Yea I ran into the same problem when I had my 7.62. I had to drive an hour to chickahominy every time I wanted to shoot. The range officer at chickahominy says they close it because they have to dig out the back stop and get rid of all the lead. I'm not sure why that takes 5 months but I still actually prefer chickahominy over fort lee even now that I have an AR. I'd much prefer going out to a buddies somewhere in the middle of nowhere where I can actually train instead of just plink
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] 
Re: State park ranges
Posted: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:28:39
by lizjimbo
Virginia is one of the most gun friendly states in the US. You can shoot anywhere it is lawful to shoot. WMA's are for the public use. They do open up the sighting in ranges at the time hunting season opens on the WMA's. The general public also has a right to walk around the WMA's as well so in balance Virginia does pretty well to offer their ranges for our use. You do need an access permit or have a VA hunting license, but they are substantially cheaper than memberships at private gun clubs. Try one of the WMA ranges out. You won't be disappointed with what Virginia provides for its gun owners.
Re: State park ranges
Posted: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:22:24
by Jakeiscrazy
I hate shooting from a tube like those sight in ranges so I drive out to Hite Hollow Shooting range once and a while. It's very nice.