Page 1 of 1

Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:16:12
by allingeneral
After officers arrived, Shane P. Scott, 25, pulled into the driveway in a 2012 Fiat with Virginia plates.
So he wasn't even there when the "gunshot" was reported? This guy should have just kept his mouth shut and not disclosed any information. Better yet, he shouldn't have been in New Jersey to begin with. He put his own ass in a sling by breaking the law, then voluntarily telling the police that he was breaking the law.
Police recently arrested a Virginia man and charged him with possession of a handgun and hollow point bullets after he told police his wife had been assaulted.

Police responded to a residence at 92 J.F.K. Boulevard on a report of a gunshot shortly after 10 p.m. on March 24.

After officers arrived, Shane P. Scott, 25, pulled into the driveway in a 2012 Fiat with Virginia plates. Police determined that no shots had been fired after speaking with Scott, his wife Suzanne and another woman.

Suzanne Scott told police she had been assaulted by her uncle and that a beer bottle was broken on the patio. A third woman mistakenly took the sound of the bottle breaking for a gunshot and called police, according to the police report.

When police asked if anyone had a gun in their possession, Scott told them he had a handgun in his car. Scott told police he had a Virginia permit for the gun, but did not have a New Jersey permit.

Police found the loaded .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun in the car and secured the loaded gun, along with hollow nose bullets, the police report states.

The weapon was not used or shown in the altercation. Scott was charged with possession of a handgun and possession of hollow point bullets, according to the police report and taken to police headquarters.

Municipal Court Judge John J. Sheehy was notified of the incident by phone. Scott was released on his own recognizance after it was determined he had no prior criminal history, according to the police report.

Officers from the Beachwood and Ocean Gate police departments also responded.

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:52:22
by Mindflayer
Don't talk to the police, esp. in New Jersey, Maryland, New York, Massachusetts, California, and Hawaii.

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:56:15
by joeshmo
Hollow points are illegal in NJ? Im glad I live in a free state

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:55:03
by Hpancho
"Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:36:27
by RugerJoe
The first sign for me that this man has poor judgement is that he drives a 2012 Fiat.

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:45:58
by zombiekiller57
here is the bigger question. Why would anyone want to go to NJ. I have family there and I haven't been since I was 4.

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 00:51:18
by gunnermax
All these are good responses. I will stay in VA. And I am proud to spend my money in VA.

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 06:17:06
by M1A4ME
I can remember travelling to PA a few years back. My buddy told me to make sure I did not accidently leave any hollow points (even .22 ammo) in my truck, shooter's bags, etc. The ammo alone will get you in trouble in NJ.

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:52:04
by Taggure
I have to ask this question.

Why is the hollow Point ammo illegal period?

Do they really not understand the FMJ or JSP will travel straight through the target and not expand as quickly as the JHP, and that there is more of a possibility to hit an innocent bystander then with a JHP?

here is a video of what happens when a FMJ/JSP and a JHP hit the target


Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:26:01
by allingeneral
Taggure wrote:I have to ask this question.

Why is the hollow Point ammo illegal period?
Because the people of New Jersey are brainwashed to think that hollow-points are cop killers.

You're not even allowed to turn right or pump your own gas in New Jersey. They're frackin' crazy up there.

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:54:53
by mamabearCali
NJ is nuts! I have to visit in laws a few times a year and I am worried the whole time ( but taking a gun there would worry me far more).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:56:10
by RugerJoe
They outlawed the hollow point bullet because it can "break apart inside and do more damage". And yeah, when they were campaigning against hollow points the idiots in favor of banning them went around calling them cop killer bullets that magically penetrated bulletproof vests.
The mandatory sentencing time for a conviction of having them is actually pretty stiff too iirc. Years.

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:51:48
by davsco
allingeneral wrote:
This guy should have just kept his mouth shut and not disclosed any information. Better yet, he shouldn't have been in New Jersey to begin with.
so in all seriousness, how does the discussion go? the cop asks if anyone has a gun. what does the guy say? if he respectfully declines to answer, doesn't the cop just take that as a "yes" and search his car?

since the guy showed up after the cop, maybe the guy just tries to get away with "don't look at me, i just got here" or something like that?

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:07:59
by zombiekiller57
Somebody get this man this info.
http://youtu.be/lLtGFejEvko

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:31:35
by allingeneral
davsco wrote:
allingeneral wrote:
This guy should have just kept his mouth shut and not disclosed any information. Better yet, he shouldn't have been in New Jersey to begin with.
so in all seriousness, how does the discussion go? the cop asks if anyone has a gun. what does the guy say? if he respectfully declines to answer, doesn't the cop just take that as a "yes" and search his car?

since the guy showed up after the cop, maybe the guy just tries to get away with "don't look at me, i just got here" or something like that?
I may be wrong here, and likely that I wouldn't be able to do it this way if presented with the real situation. You don't have to answer any questions. Kindly decline to answer, if asked questions directly. "I prefer not to answer any questions."

Cop: "Does anyone here have a gun?"
Me: Look at everyone else and shrug
Definitely not me: Yes! I have a gun in my car, over there! I'm from Virginia and I have a Virginia Handgun Permit! Oh - it's full of hollowpoints too! Those are illegal in NJ, aren't they?"

I showed up after the "crime" was committed, so he has no RAS on me, unless someone at the scene indicates that I was there and left right after the crime, only to return after the cops show up. That would all be pretty dumb of me, too!

So, he asks to search my vehicle? Um - no. I don't consent to searches of my personal property. Am I free to go?

*edit to add: and if they search me or my property anyway and find the gun, and they don't have RAS, then what they find is inadmissable.

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 02:43:26
by Diomed
allingeneral wrote: *edit to add: and if they search me or my property anyway and find the gun, and they don't have RAS, then what they find is inadmissable.
Well, it's New Jersey, so it may not be the soundest idea to bank on a court there even having heard of the Fourth Amendment, much less respecting it.

It's best to remember that Jersey really isn't part of the US. Crossing the DelMem Bridge always felt a little weird, I think it's because they didn't ask for a passport.

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:13:32
by allingeneral
Diomed wrote:
allingeneral wrote: *edit to add: and if they search me or my property anyway and find the gun, and they don't have RAS, then what they find is inadmissable.
Well, it's New Jersey, so it may not be the soundest idea to bank on a court there even having heard of the Fourth Amendment, much less respecting it.
That's a good point - and I would like to point out that I would never even consider carrying a firearm into New Jersey to test their understanding of the 4th amendment, since they clearly don't understand the second already. I have to go there a couple of times per year for work, and anytime I go, I run through my truck with a fine-toothed comb to make sure there's not some errant hollowpoint (or even a FMJ for that matter) laying around under a seat, in the glove box, in a door panel, etc.

Re: Virginia Man Charged in NJ With Possession of Hollow Points

Posted: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:54:40
by mrjam2jab
joeshmo wrote:Hollow points are illegal in NJ? Im glad I live in a free state
They are not illegal to possess. You can buy them, own them, have them at home, and transport to use them at the range.

You can not have them in any other circumstance.