Page 1 of 1

VA-ALERT: Urgent: NM no longer honors VA CHPs!

Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:04:10
by OakRidgeStars
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just learned, with confirmation from the Virginia State Police, that New Mexico is NO LONGER RECOGNIZING Virginia CHPs because we don't require range time. We never have, odd that they are just now figuring that out. Perhaps they had a change in their law somewhere down the line.

New Mexico does NOT honor Florida or Utah non-resident permits, either.

Here are your options:

1. Open carry

2. In your vehicle you can have a concealed handgun. New Mexico views your vehicle as an extension of your home.

Virginia continues on the highroad, honoring New Mexico permits.



***************************************************************************
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]

Re: VA-ALERT: Urgent: NM no longer honors VA CHPs!

Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:22:26
by zombiekiller57
I thought that was odd that VA didn't require range time. You would think that they would at least require an annual qualification. I have to do that with my H.R. 218. I would bet that the majority of the CHP holders do shoot several times a year but there is no method to record that.

Re: VA-ALERT: Urgent: NM no longer honors VA CHPs!

Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:32:41
by VBshooter
True, but we don't need to tell the state now or any other time in the future.

Re: VA-ALERT: Urgent: NM no longer honors VA CHPs!

Posted: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:47:10
by derek141
zombiekiller57 wrote:I thought that was odd that VA didn't require range time. You would think that they would at least require an annual qualification. I have to do that with my H.R. 218. I would bet that the majority of the CHP holders do shoot several times a year but there is no method to record that.
I've always thought that the annual qual requirement for HR218 is nonsensical, as retirees are private citizens. On what rational basis should they be held to a higher standard than John Q. Permit? Even live fire states only qual on periodic renewal (e.g. TX, 5 year interval). Oh, wait... it was the U.S. Congress...

Re: VA-ALERT: Urgent: NM no longer honors VA CHPs!

Posted: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:12:15
by dorminWS
For many of us in the Commonwealth's more remote and undeveloped areas, a range qualification requirement would raise the problem of WHERE to do one. Time, distance, expense and scarcity of facilities would surely prevent many CHPs from being renewed out here "west of the Blue Ridge". Probably in a large part of Southside, too. Result may well be that the folks with the strongest gun culture in the state that needed range qualification to develop/demonstrate familiarity and proficiency the least would be excluded from having CHPs.

Re: VA-ALERT: Urgent: NM no longer honors VA CHPs!

Posted: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:37:02
by jdonovan
I can't even begin to imagine if a live-fire re-qualification requirement were conducted with the speed, efficacy and good customer service that the DMV is famous for doing.

When it comes to my RIGHT, and yes, I ___DO___ believe that CCW is well within what the 2nd was intended to provide, that there should be very little state/federal regulation on that right.

Re: VA-ALERT: Urgent: NM no longer honors VA CHPs!

Posted: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:32:27
by mk4
jdonovan wrote:I can't even begin to imagine if a live-fire re-qualification requirement were conducted with the speed, efficacy and good customer service that the DMV is famous for doing.

When it comes to my RIGHT, and yes, I ___DO___ believe that CCW is well within what the 2nd was intended to provide, that there should be very little state/federal regulation on that right.
THIS!
Nowhere in the 2A does is mention permits or training requirements. What it does say, quite succinctly, is: ...shall not be infringed.

Re: VA-ALERT: Urgent: NM no longer honors VA CHPs!

Posted: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 00:19:10
by VBshooter
Absolutely! :thumbsup: