Page 1 of 1
I have arrived. Make a hole and make it wide!
Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 00:37:12
by Torontogunguy
Greetings from the Great White North from a Yank in Canada. Born NYC. Living in Canada and about to retire to Florida (soon...sooon). Travel the USA extensively and enjoy it immensely. While we intend to retire to FL, we also intend to purchase an RV in the next year or so and spend the winters in the southern states and the summers in the north including VA and surrounding states. Relatives and friends in and around. Counting the months... am actually retired now but was hit with H1N1 in 2009, spent three weeks on life support and lived to tell the story but now in the process of clearing up the aftermath of health issues (we're about done). Have been a shooter for many years and carry concealed wherever I am legal to do so (regretably, no concealed carry north of the 49th. unless you are a LEO, etc.) Have had a VA permit for 5 years now and about to renew... going to post a question. My first. In the forums. The instructions for renewal of a non-res permit say to submit fingerprint cards. Yet 15.2-915.3 of the Code of Virgina states that fingerprinting shall not be required for the renewal of an existing permit. So I am confused. Think I will go with the submission of prints again but it is a bit of a pain finding someone to roll prints these days. Anyway, I look forward to meeting and greeting my fellow VGOF users. Stay safe.
Re: I have arrived. Make a hole and make it wide!
Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 07:56:00
by OakRidgeStars
Welcome to VGOF!

Re: I have arrived. Make a hole and make it wide!
Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:43:29
by allingeneral
Welcome aboard!
The Code section that you cited is for resident permits only, and that will go away on July 1st, as new legislation this year repeals the ability for a locality to require fingerprinting as part of the resident permit process.
Non-resident permits may still require fingerprints, even after July 1st.
Here's the applicable code section for Nonresident permits:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504 ... d+18.2-308
18.2-308.P1 wrote:
P1. Nonresidents of the Commonwealth 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the Virginia Department of State Police for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. Every applicant for a nonresident concealed handgun permit shall submit two photographs of a type and kind specified by the Department of State Police for inclusion on the permit and shall submit fingerprints on a card provided by the Department of State Police for the purpose of obtaining the applicant's state or national criminal history record. As a condition for issuance of a concealed handgun permit, the applicant shall submit to fingerprinting by his local or state law-enforcement agency and provide personal descriptive information to be forwarded with the fingerprints through the Central Criminal Records Exchange to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of obtaining criminal history record information regarding the applicant and obtaining fingerprint identification information from federal records pursuant to criminal investigations by state and local law-enforcement agencies. The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths on a form provided by the Department of State Police, requiring only that information necessary to determine eligibility for the permit. If the permittee is later found by the Department of State Police to be disqualified, the permit shall be revoked and the person shall return the permit after being so notified by the Department of State Police. The permit requirement and restriction provisions of subsections E and F shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this subsection.
Re: I have arrived. Make a hole and make it wide!
Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:37:31
by Palladin
Re: I have arrived. Make a hole and make it wide!
Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:56:05
by Jakeiscrazy
Re: I have arrived. Make a hole and make it wide!
Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:19:31
by Torontogunguy
Thanks to all for kind words of welcome and for information received.

Re: I have arrived. Make a hole and make it wide!
Posted: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:03:42
by mk4
Re: I have arrived. Make a hole and make it wide!
Posted: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 21:37:18
by Kory