Page 1 of 1

A Must Read

Posted: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:10:51
by moss20
by a young man serving his third tour of duty in Iraq. Thought you might
find his take on the Michael Jackson news interesting.

____________________________

Okay, I need to rant.

I was just watching the news, and I caught part of a report on Michael Jackson.
As we all know, Jackson died the other day. He was an
entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent millions,
and he did a lot of things that make him a villain to many people.



I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and I respect
those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my rant.

Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds
with grief.


When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was
to ENTERTAIN people, the American people find the need to flock to a
memorial in Hollywood, and even Congress sees the need to hold a
"moment of silence" for his passing?

Am I missing something here? ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's
a freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades?

What about all those SOLDIERS who have died to give us freedom?

All those Soldiers who, knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war,
still raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution and the United
States of America.

Where is their moment of silence? Where are the people
flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them because
they made the ultimate sacrifice?

Why is it when a Soldier dies, there are more people saying "good riddance,"

and "thank God for IED's?"

When did this country become so calloused to the sacrifice of
GOOD MEN and WOMEN, that they can arbitrarily blow off their deaths, and
instead, throw themselves into mourning for a "Pop Icon?"

I think that if they are going to hold a moment of silence IN CONGRESS
for Michael Jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every
service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.


They need to PUBLICLY recognize every life that has been
lost so that the American people
can live their callous little lives in the luxury and freedom that WE,
those that are living and those that have gone on, have
provided for them.

But, wait, that would take too much time, because
there have been so many willing to make that sacrifice. After all, we will
never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write
hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed our blood,
sweat and tears so people can enjoy what they have.

Sorry if I have offended, but I needed to say it.

Remember these five words the next time you think of
someone who is serving in the military;


"So that others may live..."

Isaac

Re: A Must Read

Posted: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:28:54
by wbtrunx
I've heard this before. It's extremely, sadly true, and it upsets me that it is.

Re: A Must Read

Posted: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 01:49:02
by goodoleboy
I completely agree with this great man, F mj, let's turn our attention to the soldiers. Seems strange that when soldiers are dying everyday the media eats it up, but when someones makes a good choice and suddenly fewer and fewer soldiers are having to make the ultimate sacrifice, they turn to crap. Thank you to all the members of these forums, as well as those that aren't, that have served this great country and put yourself in the way of the bullets of our enemies.

Re: A Must Read

Posted: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 18:10:50
by zephyp
My heart goes out to these heroes. I work in the Pentagon and ride by Arlington every day, sometimes several times. It's heartbreaking to see the horse drawn flag draped caskets so close to the nonsense going on a mere 5 miles away.

Re: A Must Read

Posted: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:45:14
by WRW
I've got to wonder if a real soldier actually wrote that. While I agree with some points the writer made, I've never met a military type that would succumb to that kind of ...what is it, envy?

Re: A Must Read

Posted: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:50:41
by zephyp
WRW wrote:I've got to wonder if a real soldier actually wrote that. While I agree with some points the writer made, I've never met a military type that would succumb to that kind of ...what is it, envy?
I fail to see envy in his writings. I see a Soldier pouring out his heart. You ever been in a combat unit? You spend alot of time sitting around wondering about sh--. Besides, these heroes need a break and its downright cathartic to write your feelings out. These folks raise their right hand, don a uniform, grab a weapon, and get shipped off to some sorry part of the planet thinking they are fighting to keep America free. IMO, they can feel any way they want.

Re: A Must Read

Posted: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:06:46
by WRW
zephyp wrote:
WRW wrote:I've got to wonder if a real soldier actually wrote that. While I agree with some points the writer made, I've never met a military type that would succumb to that kind of ...what is it, envy?
I fail to see envy in his writings. I see a Soldier pouring out his heart. You ever been in a combat unit? You spend alot of time sitting around wondering about sh--. Besides, these heroes need a break and its downright cathartic to write your feelings out. These folks raise their right hand, don a uniform, grab a weapon, and get shipped off to some sorry part of the planet thinking they are fighting to keep America free. IMO, they can feel any way they want.
No, never been in a combat unit. I have spent a little time in Hell, though.

I didn't say it was envy, I asked what it was and offered a possibility.

Re: A Must Read

Posted: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:27:19
by zephyp
Apologies for dumping on you. I'm a little protective of these guys. I've been through hell too and its coming again.

Re: A Must Read

Posted: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 07:29:42
by WRW
You got their backs...I think that's admirable.

Re: A Must Read

Posted: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 08:09:28
by zephyp
WRW wrote:You got their backs...I think that's admirable.
In more ways than just this...thanks! You made my day.