Page 1 of 1
Daughter invited me to the range
Posted: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 00:45:32
by newdovo
I'm going to a father/daughter luncheon tomorrow. My wife leads a Christian mentoring group for middle school aged girls, and they planned the event as a way for fathers to have some quality time and dote on their daughters. I'm looking forward to it. I like the idea of having some individual time with one of my kids.
It's encouraged that, afterward, father & daughter will continue their date with another activity. Movie, ice cream, etc. The speaker will have some topics, intended to be discussed after the event.
My gal asked to go to the range.

She has gone to shoot with me a dozen times or so, whether on family property or at a public indoor or outdoor range. But this is the first time that
she has
asked me to take her. I love this kid.
I do think that there's a bit of her wanting to please Dad. But I did offer up movies, etc. and she was insistent... so I can't argue with that...

Actually, ice cream afterward sounded good, too.

Re: Daughter invited me to the range
Posted: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 08:47:10
by Palladin

Go!

Daughter invited me to the range
Posted: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:08:30
by MNMGoneShooting
My daughter is just about ready for the range.... Remember when yours was this big?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Re: Daughter invited me to the range
Posted: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:48:54
by Kreutz
Have three daughters myself, cannot wait to get them (and my son) to a range.
Gotta say though my oldest daughter is freaked out by loud noises (she's almost 5), do they grow out of that? I figure 10 is probably a good age for a .22
Re: Daughter invited me to the range
Posted: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 23:42:00
by SHMIV
I was 3 or 4 when I first fired a .22. I was about 7 when I first fired my 12 gauge, which also happened to be about a 1/4 second before my very first flight.
My sisters also fired .22 rifles long before they were 10. I think, Kreutz, that if you demonstrate that not all loud noises are something to be frightened of, she may grow out of it sooner. I used to be scared of airplanes when I was little. At the time, my Grandfather was the head honcho at the Richmond airport, so my Mother arranged a visit to the airport to break me of that fear. Part of the trip involved following the jets down the runway as they were taking off. Planes were demonstrated to be nothing to fear, and I was never afraid of them again. (TSA, on the other hand...) Side note; in breaking me of that fear, one of my coolest, and fondest, memories ever was formed.
Re: Daughter invited me to the range
Posted: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:34:22
by biggun
Kreutz wrote:Have three daughters myself, cannot wait to get them (and my son) to a range.
Gotta say though my oldest daughter is freaked out by loud noises (she's almost 5), do they grow out of that? I figure 10 is probably a good age for a .22
A ready age is determined by mom and or dad. Back when I coached with 4H, the avg. age was 12. I recall that only a few were not ready to be responsible, this was under constant adult supervision.
Most important is spending quality time with your kids. A safe and positive intro in the beginning will lead to many more fun enjoyable hours with the ones you love the most.
Be safe
Re: Daughter invited me to the range
Posted: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:56:44
by Wingandaprayer
I took my daughter to the range for the first time last year (she was 9). We had a great time and have been back a couple of times since. But before we ever stepped foot on the range we had a lesson on gun safety. Later on I was extremely proud of her when we were watching the TV show "Last Man Standing" and Tim Allen, the main character, was improperly handling a pistol and my daughter said "He's got his finger on the trigger!" Maybe they really do listen.
