Page 1 of 2
More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 19:05:58
by OakRidgeStars
Kindergartner suspended for bringing toy gun to school
http://www.fox19.com/story/16003464/kin ... -to-school
Everyone feel safer now?.
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:16:27
by SHMIV
Sadly, I'm not shocked. I've heard about this type of silly BS several times. I hope the boy get's treated to McDonalds and ice cream on his vacation.
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 05:41:17
by VBshooter
From the article
Officials with the school system declined to be interviewed about the incident but they say their policy is clear and that "Its part of the way we need to live in our society."
And who decides this....The officials or those that pay their too high salaries? This is all fear mongering nonsense that IMHO has been brought about by way too much PC and paranoia about nothing.. It;s gonna be along climb back to reality for those willing to make the trip and put an end to this kind of abuse of people by officials that barely qualify as humans living in their isolated little realm of rules and bullshit. Wonder how they sleep at night??
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 09:42:53
by wylde007
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 12:01:48
by Tazguy04
I have heard of a student getting expelled for making a papper gun in Henrico County , Makes me wonder if the school system is trying to push anti-gun beliefs on the kids.
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:02:32
by TenchCoxe
I have seen stories of school kids getting in trouble for:
- Having a 3" tall plastic toy soldier glued to the brim of his cap, because the soldier was holding a tiny plastic AR-15.
- Having a t-shirt with a depiction of a gun on it.
- Drawing a picture of a gun on a piece of paper.
- Having a tiny plastic toy "ray gun" - it was an accessory from one of his plastic toys, like a Transformer or something.
...and others.
Zero tolerance means zero common sense. It truly is absurd.
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:18:00
by WRW
When zero tolerance was first mentioned I was under the impression that meant NO REAL GUNS. Silly me. I now think 70% tolerance might be a better practice.
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:47:11
by jdonovan
Ya know it all really makes perfect sense.
The US education system is all about memorization, not thinking, deciding, or judgement.
So I'm glad the schools have implemented 0% tolerance, because its simple, and requires no thought, or judgement, just like what they are asking the kids to do.
If I had kids I'd be sending them to anything but public schools.
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:27:38
by SHMIV
jdonovan wrote:Ya know it all really makes perfect sense.
The US education system is all about memorization, not thinking, deciding, or judgement.
So I'm glad the schools have implemented 0% tolerance, because its simple, and requires no thought, or judgement, just like what they are asking the kids to do.
If I had kids I'd be sending them to anything but public schools.
Believe you me... If home schooling, or even private schooling, was an option, I would yank my boy out of the public school system with a quickness.
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 04:28:31
by VBshooter
Since they instituted the "No child left behind " BS , they now have 0 tolerance learning standards too!
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 13:16:20
by mamabearCali
Another reason my family opts out of gov't schools. What is sad is that my families tax dollar go to support this nonsense. Those who depend on public schools deserve better.
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 13:19:08
by rustyshack11
f*** outrageous
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 14:41:29
by Kreutz
I am proud to say I was the first person to break my own schools stupid "zero tolerance of violence" policy (instituted after the OK city bombings because that makes sense in a middle school in NY) when I beat my friend over the head several times semi-seriously with a dictionary whilst rough housing....ironically the next year that same kid was knocked out cold and had to go to the hospital via ambulance while playing dodgeball in gym...school sanctioned violence.
We just got a lecture on the dark day in question though; nowadays I would have been tased 40 times and stomped by cops....to you know, show me violence is bad or something.
In reality now that I have kids of my own I see schools for what they are; a great place to get rid of my kids for a few hours a day.
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:06:21
by SHMIV
My father was telling me, once, that when he was in school, if you and another student were having problems, the both of you would head to the gym, grab the coach, pull on some boxing gloves, and get in the ring. Imagine how that would go over today...
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 01:52:03
by Diomed
SHMIV wrote:My father was telling me, once, that when he was in school, if you and another student were having problems, the both of you would head to the gym, grab the coach, pull on some boxing gloves, and get in the ring. Imagine how that would go over today...
Very formal! We just went out behind the school and beat on one another until one gave up or the teachers intervened.
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:45:26
by jracrx
When my son was in 4th grade in spotsylvainia 2 boys were expelled for using chicken nuggets as pretend guns during lunch.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] 
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 20:39:09
by TenchCoxe
jracrx wrote:When my son was in 4th grade in spotsylvainia 2 boys were expelled for using chicken nuggets as pretend guns during lunch.
They should have expelled the teacher and principal or whatever school administrator was behind that decision, for being a shambling moron. How can people like that breathe and walk at the same time?
It's just so ridiculous and just plain stupid.
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 07:58:38
by Kreutz
jracrx wrote:When my son was in 4th grade in spotsylvainia 2 boys were expelled for using chicken nuggets as pretend guns during lunch.
Thats silly....not nearly harsh enough! 20 years to life would have been a more fitting punishment.

Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:08:06
by TheGodfather
When I was in 3rd grade, I told my teacher "Asta lavista baby" and pretended to shoot her with a squirt gun - she just laughed. Times sure have changed...
Re: More zero tolerance stupidity run amuck
Posted: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:12:33
by dorminWS
TenchCoxe wrote:
How can people like that breathe and walk at the same time?
It's just so ridiculous and just plain stupid.
Good question. They obviously can't breath and THINK at the same time.