Page 1 of 1

Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 15:57:48
by Riposite
Hi,

Both Silver Eagle and Blue Ridge are full metal jacket only ranges-I assume since they are indoor they don't want the particulates from a self defense load in the air, but is there any other ranges in the NoVA area -where i could try out some hollow points/self defense loads, just so i can get a feel for them?
I am assuming if there is one , it will be an outdoor one?

Thanks

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 17:33:59
by Chasbo00
Riposite wrote:Hi,
Both Silver Eagle and Blue Ridge are full metal jacket only ranges...
I don't know about SEG, but Blue Ridge's ammo document says the folloing:

" ALL HANDGUN AMMUNITION MUST BE FULLY OR PARTIALLY JACKETED, NO CAST LEAD BULLETS ARE ALLOWED."

Why do you say Blue Ridge is FMJ only?

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:21:25
by thekinetic
I can speak for silver eagle, I've fired both non FMJ ammo and slugs. In the documents you sign it does not state anywhere that cannot shoot them. The only particulars is no muzzle loaders/black powder/pyrodex or the like and no shot shells or anything that fires multiple pellets or the like.

Now I'm not familiar with defense rounds, what do they fire?

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:40:40
by ProShooter
If you come take our Defensive Handgun I course, you can shoot whatever you'd like during the course.

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:51:00
by Riposite
Chasbo00 wrote:
Riposite wrote:Hi,
Both Silver Eagle and Blue Ridge are full metal jacket only ranges...
I don't know about SEG, but Blue Ridge's ammo document says the folloing:

" ALL HANDGUN AMMUNITION MUST BE FULLY OR PARTIALLY JACKETED, NO CAST LEAD BULLETS ARE ALLOWED."

Why do you say Blue Ridge is FMJ only?
when i asked them they told me full metal jacket only -but maybe the counter guy mispoke...


To be honest I may of just been assuming Silver Eagle was the same-I am going there Thursday and I will clarify

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:52:09
by Riposite
ProShooter wrote:If you come take our Defensive Handgun I course, you can shoot whatever you'd like during the course.
actually do you do any long gun training courses (didn't see any on your website)

That might be worth the trip down your way

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 19:13:36
by ProShooter
Riposite wrote:
ProShooter wrote:If you come take our Defensive Handgun I course, you can shoot whatever you'd like during the course.
actually do you do any long gun training courses (didn't see any on your website)

That might be worth the trip down your way
We dont have anything currently on the schedule for shotguns. We hope to introduce a shotgun course in 2012.

For rifle training, we gladly refer our students to Central Virginia Tactical. They're the best in the region. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 19:28:32
by Riposite
ProShooter wrote:
Riposite wrote:
ProShooter wrote:If you come take our Defensive Handgun I course, you can shoot whatever you'd like during the course.
actually do you do any long gun training courses (didn't see any on your website)

That might be worth the trip down your way
We dont have anything currently on the schedule for shotguns. We hope to introduce a shotgun course in 2012.

For rifle training, we gladly refer our students to Central Virginia Tactical. They're the best in the region. No need to reinvent the wheel.

thanks though looking at their website they seem a bit more advanced than where i am at (zero rifle experience)

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:06:16
by Chasbo00
Riposite wrote:
Chasbo00 wrote:
Riposite wrote:Hi,
Both Silver Eagle and Blue Ridge are full metal jacket only ranges...
I don't know about SEG, but Blue Ridge's ammo document says the folloing:

" ALL HANDGUN AMMUNITION MUST BE FULLY OR PARTIALLY JACKETED, NO CAST LEAD BULLETS ARE ALLOWED."

Why do you say Blue Ridge is FMJ only?
when i asked them they told me full metal jacket only -but maybe the counter guy mispoke...
I thought that might be the case and it's why I asked. I occasionally shoot my carry ammo there as I like to replenish it about once a month or so. It's also a check to see that everything (carry gun, ammo and magazine) are working properly.

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:58:47
by Riposite
[/quote]

I thought that might be the case and it's why I asked. I occasionally shoot my carry ammo there as I like to replenish it about once a month or so. It's also a check to see that everything (carry gun, ammo and magazine) are working properly.[/quote]

thats exactly what i want to do; especially on my revolver, i've never fired the +p hornady rounds i have and i want to get a feel for them

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:38:04
by jrswanson1
Sharpshooters in Lorton, NRA HQ Range both will let you shoot anything that uses a pistol round. No steel cased ammo though.

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 23:38:07
by ProShooter
Riposite wrote:
thanks though looking at their website they seem a bit more advanced than where i am at (zero rifle experience)
Give them a call - I think that they have some intro rifle course coming up.

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 02:42:36
by Diomed
jrswanson1 wrote:Sharpshooters in Lorton, NRA HQ Range both will let you shoot anything that uses a pistol round. No steel cased ammo though.
When did NRA ban steel cased ammo?

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:57:03
by m4a1mustang
Chasbo00 wrote:
Riposite wrote:Hi,
Both Silver Eagle and Blue Ridge are full metal jacket only ranges...
I don't know about SEG, but Blue Ridge's ammo document says the folloing:

" ALL HANDGUN AMMUNITION MUST BE FULLY OR PARTIALLY JACKETED, NO CAST LEAD BULLETS ARE ALLOWED."

Why do you say Blue Ridge is FMJ only?
Yup. I shoot Gold Dots all the time at BRA.

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:33:30
by jrswanson1
Diomed wrote:
jrswanson1 wrote:Sharpshooters in Lorton, NRA HQ Range both will let you shoot anything that uses a pistol round. No steel cased ammo though.
When did NRA ban steel cased ammo?
Oops, Sharpshooters banned steel case, NRA is anything except bird shot and buck shot.

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 12:00:52
by Chasbo00
jrswanson1 wrote: Oops, Sharpshooters banned steel case, NRA is anything except bird shot and buck shot.
What they actually ban is steel in the projectile (bullet) and not steel cases. But, for most folks this is also a practical ban on any steel-cased ammo because Sharpshooters' uses a magnet to test for the presence of steel. The magnet will be attracted to the steel case even when the projectile (bullet) may not have any steel in it and is really OK to shoot at Sharpshooters.

In another thread, Gunlawyer told how he took a bullet puller to Sharpshooters and actually pulled the bullet to show the Sharpshooters' staff that only the case and not the bullet was magnetic on the steel-cased ammo he wanted to use. They let him shoot his steel-cased ammo.

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:32:28
by bryanrheem
BRA definitely allows hollow points. I can't say for SEG. BRA will also allow 00 buckshot and slugs.

Re: Is there a range in NoVa where you can use selfdefense loads

Posted: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 18:41:53
by Riposite
I was at Silver Eagle yesterday and they allowed hollow point (they even allow exposed lead)>
the official ruling they gave me was : no armor piercing/steel core, bird/buckshot, or tracers


on a side note they mentioned they are shutting down on the 10th to remodel again