Page 2 of 2
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 03:18:07
by Diomed
Reverenddel wrote:More precisely, I think U/C cars are a danger to the public! As SHMIV put it "...I wouldn't feel safe.."
Use of unmarked cars for traffic enforcement ought to be illegal, but it'll never, ever happen. I suspect that if they kept stats the unmarked cars would be shown to make some serious money for the state/localities, and since traffic enforcement is mainly about money, well, there you go.
It's a danger to the public but none of the delegates or senators has the balls to push for stopping it.
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 09:34:59
by Reverenddel
AGREED! THANK YOU!
Traffic Enforcement has NEVER been about safety in truth! It's about Fines/Fees... I shut one traffic cop down when he kept insisting it's about safety by saying "OKAY! Then every make every fine, and fee $10... and it goes to the Education fund."
Not...a...peep.
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 12:45:00
by SHMIV
Not only do I agree that un-marked traffic patrol should be illegal, I believe that VA should allow radar detectors.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] 
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 00:36:56
by Diomed
SHMIV wrote:Not only do I agree that un-marked traffic patrol should be illegal, I believe that VA should allow radar detectors.
I could have sworn there was a state supreme court decision in the last ten or fifteen years that legalized certain types of detectors, but I'll be damned if I can find any evidence of it. Maybe I hallucinated the whole thing.
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:36:41
by dorminWS
OakRidgeStars wrote:The VSP is running both red and blue lights on marked as well as unmarked vehicles.
Mostly on new vehicles instead of the older Crown Vics.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Either the VSP has a new paintjob that hasn't made its way to SW VA yet, or that ain't a standard VSP paintjob.
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:18:43
by OakRidgeStars
dorminWS wrote:Either the VSP has a new paintjob that hasn't made its way to SW VA yet, or that ain't a standard VSP paintjob.
Coming soon to a speed trap near you

Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:54:20
by Rualert
SHMIV wrote:Not only do I agree that un-marked traffic patrol should be illegal, I believe that VA should allow radar detectors.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] 
One note on the Radar detectors, I do know there is an exception that if you are licensed by a state or federal agency, the detectors are legal. Therefore I keep my Ham radio license up dated when ever needed, and keep the wallet card with me, just like my concealed permit. I was only asked once about my radar detector, and when I mentioned my radio license, and started pulling it, the officer dropped it.
I also agree with the comment they should be legal anyway, mainly due to the stomping on your federal right as a citizen of these United States. FCC regulations say if it's in the air, and you can receive it...
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:27:38
by dorminWS
I don't know that unmarked cars should be illegal, but I certainly think that they ought to be restricted to a standard American model commonly used for police work without the lights and standard police paint job. Anything more exotic than that is just beyond the pale, IMHO.
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:13:47
by SHMIV
dorminWS wrote:I don't know that unmarked cars should be illegal, but I certainly think that they ought to be restricted to a standard American model commonly used for police work without the lights and standard police paint job. Anything more exotic than that is just beyond the pale, IMHO.
For investigative purposes, I have nothing against unmarked cars. It's the unmarked cars for traffic control that I dislike. Anyone can buy a retired police car, hide lights in the grill, and start pulling people over. While it doesn't happen often, it does happen. If officers were only driving clearly marked vehicles, it wouldn't happen. I doubt that folks who have the finances to dress up a car to include the decals and full lights would be inclined to do that sort of thing.
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:29:18
by m4a1mustang
I agree that unmarked cars shouldn't be used for traffic enforcement. But we know that will never happen.
And yes... I want radar detectors legalized in VA!
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:36:46
by Newgunguy
Also remember, they didn't buy anything there, all YOU residence of Virginia bought that! Must be really nice to be able to spend someone else's money.
Charles.
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:38:04
by m4a1mustang
I'm OK with buying a GTR... as long as they let me drive it for a bit.

Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:17:01
by scrubber3
I'm pretty sure that was an acquired car. Probably from a drug bust or something in that perspective. Instead of auctioning it off, they've put it to work.
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:03:16
by dorminWS
JMO, but it's hard for me to see that as anything but an excuse for them to play with an expensive, hot car. If they "acquired" it, they should have sold it for the top dollar it would bring, paid the proceeds over to the general fund, and bought a standard car through their normal procurement methods. That would also avoid having a non-standard item in their fleet, which I can tell you is a PITA. LEOs should never even appear to be in a position to have any personal motivation for taking other peoples' property.
Re: Look What the VA State Police Bought for 85K
Posted: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:10:25
by m4a1mustang
On the way to the office today I saw an older unmarked Mustang GT. The '05-'09 style.