Page 2 of 4
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:45:13
by Taggure
In 2008 people and the mainstream Media were screaming that it was Bush's Fault Gas Prices were getting to $4 a Gal and were demanding him to do something about it.
Now in 2012 when it is getting close to $5 and do you hear a peep from any of the mainstream media screaming that it is Obamas fault ro demanding him to do something about it.
IMHO Obama does not want to do anything about it and wants to see it go higher as he wants everyone to go out and by the Volt.
Just Sayin

Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:52:37
by Taggure
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:59:56
by ratherfish
Claim No. 9
"CLAIMING THAT THE INFORMATION IS PROPRIETARY, DRILLING COMPANIES HAVE STILL NOT COME OUT AND FULLY DISCLOSED WHAT FRACKING FLUID IS MADE OF."
Vanity Fair, June 2010
Under mounting pressure, companies such as Schlumberger and Range Resources have posted the chemical compounds used in some of their wells, and in June, Texas became the first state to pass a law requiring full public disclosure. This greater transparency has revealed some oddly benign ingredients, such as instant coffee and walnut shells—but also some known and suspected carcinogens, including benzene and methanol. Even if these chemicals can be found under kitchen sinks, as industry points out, they're poured down wells in much greater volumes: about 5000 gallons of additives for every 1 million gallons of water and sand. A more pressing question is what to do with this fluid once it rises back to the surface. In Texas's Barnett Shale, wastewater can be reinjected into impermeable rock 1.5 miles below ground. This isn't feasible in the Marcellus Shale region; the underlying rocks are not porous enough. Currently, a handful of facilities in Pennsylvania are approved to treat the wastewater. More plants, purpose-built for the task, are planned. In the meantime, most companies now recycle this water to drill their next well.
Read more: Is Fracking Safe? The Top 10 Myths About Natural Gas Drilling - Popular Mechanics
How about a google before posting the treehugger info?
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:07:19
by ratherfish
Taggure wrote:In 2008 people and the mainstream Media were screaming that it was Bush's Fault Gas Prices were getting to $4 a Gal and were demanding him to do something about it.
Now in 2012 when it is getting close to $5 and do you hear a peep from any of the mainstream media screaming that it is Obamas fault ro demanding him to do something about it.
IMHO Obama does not want to do anything about it and wants to see it go higher as he wants everyone to go out and by the Volt.
Just Sayin

It's a 2-fer
increases the middle class taxes to boot!
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:48:46
by Kreutz
dorminWS wrote:Kruetz, I am not attacking you as a person. But your perspective seems to be that the government "grants" us the right to retain and use our own property.
Stop paying your property taxes and then tell me you "own" the property the sheriff just tossed you from. And heck, thats not even federal.
My perspective is born of reality, yours is from how it should be. Thats the disconnect.
What does this have to do with the price of gasoline btw?
RE: The flaming water. Google image search. So sue me. Feel free to draw from a well near a fracking site. Thats your freedom. I would choose to live away from it.
RE RE: "evil exxon mobil". I just so happen to have a blood relative who is an exec at Exxon Mobil and the guy is far from evil. In fact he's a much better human being than I am.
I'm not some anti fossil fuel partisan, I've said before here fossil fuels are still the cheapest, most efficient, and relatively clean fuel for the foreseeable future. Ethanol is much worse for a few reasons.
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:10:48
by ratherfish
Flaming water from a flaming Obama liberal!
Sometimes the truth sneaks out.
Still might be a good idea to flip through the Popular Mechanics article...
Ya know, just so ya know.

Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:27:57
by joeshmo
funny

Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 21:28:55
by OleMan
Kreutz wrote:OleMan wrote:With no intent to start a lengthy debate, and with respect for all fellow forum members here - there should not have to be any debate about oil or any other form of domestic energy. We have plenty of energy here and could EXPORT energy.
Why can't we? The short answer - THE GOVERNMENT.
We have around a 300 year supply of coal. We have reserves of shale oil that exceed the known reserves of Saudi Arabia and the new "in-situ" recovery methods recover more oil from the shale and have much less environmental impact. We can make all the electricity we want with clean coal plants which are already a fact, nuclear power which is already a fact, and burning waste material such as wood which is already a fact. We have large newly discovered reserves of natural gas in the eastern US.
What little third world country produces 30% of it's motor fuels from coal? South Africa.
Our liberal neighbor to the north has very large oil reserves in their "tar sands". They hoped to sell it to us but that seems to be killed off by our GOVERNMENT. Who owns and refuses to release most of the US shale oil? The US GOVERNMENT. Who is stopping offshore oil and natural gas exploration everywhere except the Gulf of Mexico? The US GOVERNMENT.
Who is working and investing to develop shale oil in the US in the most environmentally sound manner? Decidely not our GOVERNMENT. It is companies like Shell, Exxon and Chevron!
It has been decades since a new oil refinery has been built in the US 'cuz the GOVERNMENT don't like 'em.
Everything we do in our economy is dependent on ENERGY. Growing commodoties, producing commodities, transporting, manufacturing, and consuming all require energy. It even takes energy to sleep comfortably tonight and post to this forum. Took energy to grow, process, package, ship and for my wife to drive to and from the grocery store to buy the steak, potatoes and veggies we had for dinner.
Get the GOVERNMENT totally out of the energy business, which it has increasingly controlled for over 100 years, and put the scientists, engineers and investors in charge; and we'll have the biggest economic boom in our history.
For sources, one needs to research. There are tons of reliable information on the web. Search using terms like US reserves, oil, coal, shale oil, tar sands, natural gas, DOE, EIA, Rand. You will find that if we develop our shale oil, we will have oil reserves greater than Saudi Arabia.
Oleman

Do those scientists, engineers, and investors care that this happens when fracking does?
The fact these drilling companies will not release the chemicals they use to hydrofrack (they say its proprietary) tells me they're not the saints you make them out to be.
If corners can be cut for greater profits they will be, as they have been.
Yes we need energy, but total deregulation in the name of short term profits is not the way to go.
We also need potable water thats not flammable and loaded with carcinogenic neurotoxins.
You may want to look up the horrific health problems (cancers) and birth defects the Athabascan Indians near those Albertan tar sand sites have. "The most environmentally sound manner" is still not a very good alternative.
I get what you're saying, and oddly enough agree with the premise; we really do have alot of energy here and we should be tapping it. But going back to the days of uncapped oil geysers circa 1910 or just plowing mountaintops and into river basins isn't the way to do it.
Like it or not government is needed to intermediate between the legitimate needs for energy and the equally legitimate need to ensure getting it doesn't poison the air and water we all need too.
Honestly, no one knows what you mean or what you really think. You are in a Catch-22. If "most environmentally sound" is inadequate, then no energy can be produced, but you say you want it and obviously use it. My answer is for you to find a lot of wood to cut, split and burn for light and heat. Don't know how you will get to the grocery store or if there will be a grocery store - you'll have to answer that on your own. Don't know how you will efficiently produce any food without fertilizer, fuel, herbicides and pesticides - but maybe you can but manure from a dairy farm and buy a hoe.
Do the legitimate research I suggested and then really think about what you want to say.
By the way, my 40-plus year career was fully in companies engaged in oil, gas, coal, nuclear, electric, chemical (largely petrochemical) and environmental controls and remedies. So, I can honestly say I know whereof I speak - and the solution is not government control of everything in the energy industries! Government has to decide to largely get out of the way and limit their involvement to using scientists and engineers to ensure that workers and citizens aren't harmed.
Until you do the research, and deal with facts and real information from real expertise, then there is nothing to "discuss" further & I'm done and done!
Oleman

Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:46:27
by Kreutz
OleMan wrote:Do the legitimate research I suggested and then really think about what you want to say.
By the way, my 40-plus year career was fully in companies engaged in oil, gas, coal, nuclear, electric, chemical (largely petrochemical) and environmental controls and remedies. So, I can honestly say I know whereof I speak - and the solution is not government control of everything in the energy industries! Government has to decide to largely get out of the way and limit their involvement to using scientists and engineers to ensure that workers and citizens aren't harmed.
I'll do that research when you do the research of reading what you're responding to.
Where did I say "the solution is government control of everything in the energy industries"? Because you said it's not, so I can only assume you're implying I said it was, since you were responding to me and all.
Basic regulation isn't control.

Nor the dystopic Marxist nightmare you make it out to be.
By your logic all industry should have ground to a halt when the EPA was created, yet that has not been the case. Or the auto industry should have died when minimum MPG standards were established.
Neither happened. Air and water is cleaner, and business is fine.
You can have it both ways.
Oh, by the way, my 10+ years working in healthcare finance and IT has shown me a single payer system is the way to go. So I can honestly say I know whereof I speak on that. Private for profit health insurance companies have to get out of the way as a company cannot be beholden to its customers and its shareholders at the same time.
So I take it you will automatically agree and bow down before my expert opinion? I mean, I do know more about it than you and all just like you claim to know more about energy than me. Lets call it a trade?
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:18:20
by dorminWS
Kreutz,
I think the problem usually arises when you (or somebody else) knows a whole lot about a narrow part of an issue (you on health care (finance), for instance), but does not consider the whole picture nor the interests of all the players. Turn health care over to the same government that created and then managed into a deep hole the Social Security Administration and the Post office and has already crippled our health care system as a PARTIAL player? No thanks. It might make your life a little easier; but I have no doubt it will certainly shorten mine one day.
But if your point was that SAYING you are knowledgable about something doesn't actually MAKE you so, you've made it.
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:36:20
by ratherfish
Kreutz says;
"By your logic all industry should have ground to a halt when the EPA was created, yet that has not been the case. Or the auto industry should have died when minimum MPG standards were established."
I worked at EPA for 12 years after it's founding. I left because after establishing standards for clean air, hazardous waste, pesticides, it bacame a political. It became a political regulatory tool to control industry. It now is in the business of implementing man made global warming initatives through regulation of carbon dioxide! Even though that scam has fallen apart . The administration has established future fuel standards that will be nearly impossible to meet, or at best very very expensive.
Your buddy Obama is using the regulatory framework of government to control every aspect of our society.
A good read of Atlas Shrugged might be in order.
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:49:05
by gunderwood
dorminWS wrote:I’ll grant that grants or low or no interest loans paid from the government might be “subsidies”. They might also be more accurately characterized as incentives offered by the government to get private entities to do things the profit motive alone won’t motivate.
The only difference between the majority of Republicans and Democrats is arguing over HOW to spend the money, which ultimately decides how each side views it, either as a subsidy or incentive. Either way it big government social engineering and it contrary to limited, Constitutional government.
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:55:34
by gunderwood
ratherfish wrote:Still might be a good idea to flip through the Popular Mechanics article...
Quick side note...Popular Mechanics is hardly a gold standard of "science." At times, they are barely better than Wikipedia, which you love to bash so much.
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:59:00
by gunderwood
OleMan wrote:By the way, my 40-plus year career was fully in companies engaged in oil, gas, coal, nuclear, electric, chemical (largely petrochemical) and environmental controls and remedies. So, I can honestly say I know whereof I speak - and the solution is not government control of everything in the energy industries! Government has to decide to largely get out of the way and limit their involvement to using scientists and engineers to ensure that workers and citizens aren't harmed.
Government controls simply drive all companies to the minimum the regulation requires. As always, regulation strangles innovation and leads to stagnation. The correct comparison is not 2012 with 1952, but rather with the 2012 which never happened because of regulatory induced inefficiencies.
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:01:55
by CCFan
Kreutz wrote:
Stop paying your property taxes and then tell me you "own" the property the sheriff just tossed you from. And heck, thats not even federal.
And now for the circular logic train...
Kreutz wrote:
Basic regulation isn't control.

Nor the dystopic Marxist nightmare you make it out to be.
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:37:08
by ratherfish
gunderwood wrote:ratherfish wrote:Still might be a good idea to flip through the Popular Mechanics article...
Quick side note...Popular Mechanics is hardly a gold standard of "science." At times, they are barely better than Wikipedia, which you love to bash so much.
I was starting him out easy with a pop science article from a fairly non-political site...
lol
Treehugger.com is a long long way from reality!
Did you find any errors in the article???????
I bash wiki....you bash me....SSDD.
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 00:18:43
by OleMan
Kreutz wrote:OleMan wrote:Do the legitimate research I suggested and then really think about what you want to say.
By the way, my 40-plus year career was fully in companies engaged in oil, gas, coal, nuclear, electric, chemical (largely petrochemical) and environmental controls and remedies. So, I can honestly say I know whereof I speak - and the solution is not government control of everything in the energy industries! Government has to decide to largely get out of the way and limit their involvement to using scientists and engineers to ensure that workers and citizens aren't harmed.
I'll do that research when you do the research of reading what you're responding to.
Where did I say "the solution is government control of everything in the energy industries"? Because you said it's not, so I can only assume you're implying I said it was, since you were responding to me and all.
>> I did not quote you or imply that you said that, so there is no justification for your question. I simply stated my opinion that the current climate in Washington is increasingly leaning toward excessive government control.
Basic regulation isn't control.

Nor the dystopic Marxist nightmare you make it out to be.
>> I never used the term " Marxist nightmare" and did not make it out to be, nor did I rule out control for health and safety.
By your logic all industry should have ground to a halt when the EPA was created, yet that has not been the case. Or the auto industry should have died when minimum MPG standards were established.
Neither happened. Air and water is cleaner, and business is fine.
You can have it both ways.
>> No, industry has not totally ground to a halt because of the EPA, but some industries have been hurt way too much, and 'we the people' pay for that. I never faulted the earlier things the EPA did to improve the environment and improve safety.
Oh, by the way, my 10+ years working in healthcare finance and IT has shown me a single payer system is the way to go. So I can honestly say I know whereof I speak on that. Private for profit health insurance companies have to get out of the way as a company cannot be beholden to its customers and its shareholders at the same time.
>> To the best of my knowledge, this thread never mentioned healthcare so you are off topic there. But since you mentioned it I paid for private health insurance (from for profit companies) for more than 4 decades and for nearly all those years, I was also paying for Medicaid and Medicare, administering Medicare for multiple relatives, and then was forced to use Medicare myself. Based on the track record of those two government programs, I would sincerely hope that the "single payer" is not the US government - for all our sakes.
So I take it you will automatically agree and bow down before my expert opinion? I mean, I do know more about it than you and all just like you claim to know more about energy than me. Lets call it a trade?
>> I'll adopt your tactic - I'll bow down to yourn when you bow down to mine - you go first.

Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 00:50:18
by Palladin
gunderwood wrote:OleMan wrote:By the way, my 40-plus year career was fully in companies engaged in oil, gas, coal, nuclear, electric, chemical (largely petrochemical) and environmental controls and remedies. So, I can honestly say I know whereof I speak - and the solution is not government control of everything in the energy industries! Government has to decide to largely get out of the way and limit their involvement to using scientists and engineers to ensure that workers and citizens aren't harmed.
Government controls simply drive all companies to the minimum the regulation requires. As always, regulation strangles innovation and leads to stagnation. The correct comparison is not 2012 with 1952, but rather with the 2012 which never happened because of regulatory induced inefficiencies.
I luvs me some ethanol, mmm hmmmm...

Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:25:22
by ratherfish
Stupid is as stupid does...
A good article on the liar in chief's explanation of gas prices...
'The American people aren't stupid," thundered President Obama yesterday in Miami, ridiculing Republicans who are blaming him for rising gasoline prices. Let's hope he's right, because not even Forrest Gump could believe the logic of what Mr. Obama is trying to sell.
To wit, that a) gasoline prices are beyond his control, but b) to the extent oil and gas production is rising in America, his energy policies deserve all the credit, and c) higher prices are one more reason to raise taxes on oil and gas drillers while handing even more subsidies to his friends in green energy. Where to begin?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... n_newsreel
Re: The price of gas.
Posted: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:32:17
by dorminWS
The American people aren't stupid? Of course they are. They must be. They elected Obama, didn't they?