As I was leaving Red Lobster this evening, (Endless Shrimp! Yum!), I was passed just outside the front door by a young mother, her ~10yo son, and her 5 or 6 yo daughter.
I was busy juggling a paperback book, my walker, and the door so I was a little slow to react when the girl said just after they passed me, "Mommy, that man has a gun! Mom! That man has a gun!"
Her head was exactly level with my 1911 OC'ed on my right hip.
It wasn't until I got into my car that I realized that I should have stopped, turned around, smiled, and said, "Yes, Honey, that's right, I have a gun so I can protect you, your brother, and your mother if any bad guys come. Just like a policeman would do if he were around. Because, you see, there aren't enough policemen to be everywhere."
BTW, the staff and management of my Red Lobster are well aware that I open carry and they and the VA natives that have noticed it haven't blinked. The part time university student wait staff from out of state get a little wide eyed but don't treat me any different than anyone else.
Today I missed my chance to educate
- AlanM
- Sharp Shooter

- Posts: 1842
- Joined: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:05:15
- Location: Charlottesville now. Was Stow, OH
Today I missed my chance to educate
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
- dorminWS
- VGOF Platinum Supporter

- Posts: 7163
- Joined: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:00:41
- Location: extreme SW VA
Re: Today I missed my chance to educate
Might be just as well. If the Momma was an anti-gunner (or maybe even just ignorant and afraid of guns) having you kneel and give her little darling a nose-to-nose dose of truth and light may have been very intimidating and offensive to her. That would probably have been cast as a knuckle-dragging gun nut bothering an innocent mother and child. It's a good idea to be very careful about approaching children as a total stranger in a public place. To tell the truth, that would put me on high alert even if it was some guy in a Santa Clause suit.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.
- skeeterss0
- Sharp Shooter

- Posts: 816
- Joined: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:35:54
- Location: Hampton
Re: Today I missed my chance to educate
especially if it was some guy in a Santa Clause suit....... 
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi
US Constitution
Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
US Constitution
Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.