Deer Talk Now: The Best Tips for Deer Season Planning

A place to trade stories, pictures and outings. If you're looking for a place to hunt, ask here. Please discuss camping here as well as anything else that you do during hunting season - preparations, scouting, etc.
Taggure
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Deer Talk Now: The Best Tips for Deer Season Planning

Post by Taggure »

Good Tips here for those getting ready for Deer Season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOLEm7Uz8fM#t=38
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
Thomas Jefferson
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
(Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever)
Jamie
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Re: Deer Talk Now: The Best Tips for Deer Season Planning

Post by Jamie »

Pretty sure step #1 is to find a place to hunt. Which one of you lads wants to volunteer your land?
gemihur
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Re: Deer Talk Now: The Best Tips for Deer Season Planning

Post by gemihur »

When to hunt and with what weapon would be the second question to answer.
My 2¢ would be early and late with a muzzleloader.
Analyze statistics and you'll find that a majority of trophies taken during early archery season when animals aren't yet spooked and late muzzleloader season when animals have had a chance to revert to more normal behavior.
Muzzleloaders offer the additional range and ballistic efficiency that archery tackle lacks.
I find local adoption of VDGIF urban archery to be advantageous to those proficient with a bow. Counties with urban archery have nearly seven months of deer season.
Earn-a-buck rules in counties surrounding me have allowed less deer to be taken simply because after first buck taken happenstance would have it that every deer that had crosshairs on it also wore horns!
Practice with your muzzleloader and know it's load and point of impact at a given yardage.
stay afield,
Jimmy

Return to “Hunting in Virginia”