New Member from CO

If you just created a profile, please take a moment to stop by and introduce yourself.

New Member from CO

Postby Ckinninger » Tue, 24 Mar 2020 18:30:05

Been in Virginia since July 2019. Started shooting USPSA again here in NoVA after a 5 year break. Also, got a XL750 and been working up loads.

My challenge is two-fold as I try to work up loads for USPSA season (if it ever starts again...)

1. I need to chrono, but lack the lights for my Pro-Chrono. Anyone know of a good battery powered solution to enable indoor range use? That doesn’t cost a lot or require too much know-how.

2. Is there a good outdoor range at a reasonable price (Cannot afford Fairfax Rod and Gun) or open to the public within 90 mins that I could set up my chrono at so I don’t have to get a light set?

Glad to be back shooting again. Currently shoot Limited Major, but may also do some Single Stack with my Colt Competition after I get it ready, loads worked up, and a rig ready.

Thanks for any feedback on the above.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member  
Ckinninger
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
S&W M&P Pro 5” in .40
S&W M&P Full Size in 9mm
Colt Competition 1911 in .45
Mega-Arms self-assembled AR-15

Re: New Member from CO

Postby domin8ss » Mon, 30 Mar 2020 02:24:48

Coming from CO to VA means you have a limited opportunity to acquire magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. I'd buy those first, then story about other issues. That's just my opinion though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

domin8ss
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Ckinninger » Mon, 30 Mar 2020 16:15:26

Magazines have never been an issue and currently good to go.

As mentioned, just need a place to chrono outdoors without a membership. Or one with a membership that is reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member  
Ckinninger
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
S&W M&P Pro 5” in .40
S&W M&P Full Size in 9mm

Postby jdonovan » Tue, 31 Mar 2020 13:41:23

have you considered a magneto speed chrony? its firearm attached, so there is nothing downrange to setup.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Ckinninger » Tue, 31 Mar 2020 14:36:00

I have, but my Colt Competition 1911 in .45 is missing the rail attachment, and I’m building loads for both my .40 (S&W M&P) and .45. So that doesn’t work, nor am I willing to shell out $500ish for a labradar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ckinninger
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
S&W M&P Pro 5” in .40
S&W M&P Full Size in 9mm

Postby jdonovan » Tue, 31 Mar 2020 15:43:16

not sure how well lab radar would work indoors on a crowded range anyway.

if this is a short term need I might be able to get you into a private outdoor range. +/- about an hour from NoVA. PM me about that. If its a recurring need, then you only have a very few options.

IWLA in centerville. There is a wait list last I knew, and minimum range distance is 25 yds, and they don't allow rapid fire.

IWLA Loudon county - haven't been there in forever so I don't know the state of things there.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Return to New Members Report Here