New guy

If you just created a profile, please take a moment to stop by and introduce yourself.

New guy

Postby SnakeWIthAGun » Tue, 29 Aug 2017 18:50:36

Hey everyone! New here on the forum, been living in NoVA for about two years.

Currently active duty Navy, but technically a dirty DC "Resident" due to orders. :roll:

Is there ANYTHING that I can get without changing my license to VA? I found out that I cannot purchase stripped lowers, NFA items. I knew I couldnt purchase a hand gun legally.

Help a brother out. I have built my AR from an 80% and not a problem to do it again. I would like to get some supressors...but I fear that its off the list of being able to buy. Eventually want a pistol caliber carbine...with 8-9" barrel running 147 grain 9mms through...

TIps and tricks for me? Live in PW county, own property, they steal taxes from me twice a year from me for house.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SnakeWIthAGun
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
self built AR15
Taurus PT809

Re: New guy

Postby smltooner » Tue, 29 Aug 2017 20:49:39

Welcome to the club....thx for your service.
THE HIGH PRICE OF FREEDOM IS A COST PAID BY A BRAVE FEW. In memory of our fallen heroes.

THOSE WHO SERVE DESERVE HONOR, RESPECT, THANKS.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
smltooner
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Ted

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 30 Aug 2017 21:21:32

SnakeWIthAGun wrote:Hey everyone! New here on the forum, been living in NoVA for about two years.

Currently active duty Navy, but technically a dirty DC "Resident" due to orders. :roll:

Welcome! Thank you for your service!

Is there ANYTHING that I can get without changing my license to VA? I found out that I cannot purchase stripped lowers, NFA items. I knew I couldnt purchase a hand gun legally.

I'm not a lawyer, and if you are serious about it, I would consult one. That said...

To the best of my knowledge, at a federal level the short answer is no, you're kind of SOL. Per ATF 27 CFR 478.11, if you have dual residency there are some very limited exceptions assuming you are a property owner in both states and have proof of residency in both states and can legally own said firearm in both states. There's more, but DC... so it doesn't matter.

From a State level, you are allowed to purchase and poses what is commonly referred to as a classic rifle or shotgun (not tactical in nature). But, because you are prohibited federally, state law really doesn't come into play anyway.

Help a brother out. I have built my AR from an 80% and not a problem to do it again. I would like to get some supressors...but I fear that its off the list of being able to buy. Eventually want a pistol caliber carbine...with 8-9" barrel running 147 grain 9mms through...

TIps and tricks for me? Live in PW county, own property, they steal taxes from me twice a year from me for house.

Unless you drop your DC residency and become a full-time Va. resident, you can basically forget NFA stuff.

Good luck!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby jdonovan » Thu, 31 Aug 2017 05:46:55

I don't believe he can 'drop' his DC residency, because that comes by virtue of PCS orders to a base in that "state" I know DC isn't a state, but work with me here.

And I believe you can claim 'residency' based on where your domicile is located. But to do so, you'll need to have a DL from VA.

But if you've got DC orders, and a DC Drivers License, then you are in a position that is going to make NFA possession not possible.

Do consider that your next PCS station might be equally NFA friendly, say California. And you would need a long-term storage plan that was outside that state.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Snakester » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 20:02:00

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby SnakeWIthAGun » Wed, 25 Apr 2018 14:30:15

Agreed. VA made it plain and simple. Without a VA license, they will only sell me a rifle, a completed rifle lower, or a shotgun. That's it.

I have an IN license. I should change it. Being in the military, residency is related to where my orders place me, not domicile so I'm screwed. VA license, showing my current address, I should be able to buy stripped lower, NFA items, etc.

We shall see. We have any lawyers here who are in the know?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SnakeWIthAGun
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
self built AR15
Taurus PT809

Return to New Members Report Here