TN Republicans kill pro-Second Amendment bill

Contact your Federal or State Representative and Delegates. Send them an email and let them know that you want them to fight for your Second Amendment Rights.
Forum rules
Gun related political postings are welcome here. If it's not firearm related, please don't post it.

TN Republicans kill pro-Second Amendment bill

Postby ShotgunBlast » Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:09:36

Now here's something I wasn't expecting to see.

NASHVILLE, March 18, 2014- Senate Republicans in Tennessee voted to kill a pro-Second Amendment bill that would have protected Tennessee citizens from unconstitutional federal gun laws on Tuesday.

SB1607, sponsored by Senator Mae Beavers (R), would have made it illegal for state employees and agencies to “cooperate to impose, collect, enforce, or effectuate any fine, penalty, or other federal enactment or federal enforcement action in this state (Tennessee).”

The final vote was 3-4 (one abstention). Republican senators Campfield, Green and Bell voted in favor of the bill. Joining Senator Finney (D), Republican senators Kelsey, Overby, and Stevens voted to kill the bill. Senator Ford (D) abstained.

Those Republicans voting against the bill attempted to cite that federal law was supreme over state law, which would make Beavers’ bill in violation of Article VI, Clause 2 of the United States Constitution. This clause is often cited as the “Supremacy Clause”.

http://benswann.com/republicans-kill-pr ... tennessee/

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Re: TN Republicans kill pro-Second Amendment bill

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:18:06

That is a bunch of crap. I am sick of people using the Supremacy Clause as an excuse to vote down a controversial law out of fear. The Supremacy Clause very specifically says that the States have the right to nullify any federal laws which they find unconstitutional (Federal Constitution) or any federal laws that have exceeded Congresses’ constitutionally authorized powers.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Kreutz » Tue, 18 Mar 2014 23:26:48

The merest possibility of losing federal funds (for roads, schools etc.) will turn any state politicians spine to jelly.

Power of the purse-string.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Kreutz
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Lolwhut

My Arsenal:
12ga.
9mm
7.62x38R
8x56r

Next Firearm:
can't sell another kidney (never said I was gonna sell mine)

Postby FiremanBob » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 06:38:15

This incident shows the rift between conservatives and statists in the GOP. Any Republican state legislator who knuckles under to "federal supremacy" should be drummed out of the party. And I'm going to write to the TN GOP to tell them just that.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby roadwarrior09 » Sun, 23 Mar 2014 07:39:26

FiremanBob wrote:This incident shows the rift between conservatives and statists in the GOP. Any Republican state legislator who knuckles under to "federal supremacy" should be drummed out of the party. And I'm going to write to the TN GOP to tell them just that.

someone remind those idiots politicians in tennessee who put them there. :pistol: :ak47: :machinegun: :tommygun: :fireleft: :fireright:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
roadwarrior09
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
sig sauer 1911-22
cz p-07 duty 9mm

Return to Virginia and National Politics (Firearm Related Only)