National Reciprocity

Contact your Federal or State Representative and Delegates. Send them an email and let them know that you want them to fight for your Second Amendment Rights.
Forum rules
Gun related political postings are welcome here. If it's not firearm related, please don't post it.

National Reciprocity

Postby smltooner » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 19:44:11

About 1 week ago, I wrote to my Congressman in DC, Rep. Robert Hurt, asking for his support for HR 402 the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act.
Here is the response I received today.
Thought you might be interested.

February 19, 2015

Dear Mr. Plunkett:

Thank you for your recent communication concerning concealed carry reciprocity. I appreciate your taking the time to express your thoughts on this important matter. I am grateful for the privilege of representing you and serving as a voice for the citizens of Virginia's Fifth District.

Like you, I believe that the constitutional right to keep and bear arms and the ability to defend one's self are fundamental liberties which were expressly protected by our Founding Fathers. I am firmly committed to protecting the rights and freedoms set forth by the Second Amendment for law-abiding citizens of the Fifth District and across this country. I strongly oppose burdensome laws and regulations that attempt to limit the Constitutional rights of gun owners. Tragic episodes of violence demonstrate that bad and violent people are capable of devastatingly senseless acts. However, restricting the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens will not prevent violent people in our society from doing harm.

You will be pleased to know that I am a cosponsor of H.R. 402, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act. H.R. 402 would provide a national standard with which nonresidents of a state may carry concealed firearms in any state. Please be assured that I will work with my colleagues to advance this legislation, and I will continue to defend the Second Amendment to ensure that Fifth District Virginians' right to keep and bear arms is preserved.

I hope you will stay connected to our office with updates on the latest news, legislation, and other useful information, by signing up for our e-newsletter on our website, hurt.house.gov. Thank you again for your communication and please do not hesitate to contact our office with any future questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Robert Hurt
THE HIGH PRICE OF FREEDOM IS A COST PAID BY A BRAVE FEW. In memory of our fallen heroes.

THOSE WHO SERVE DESERVE HONOR, RESPECT, THANKS.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
smltooner
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Ted

Re: National Reciprocity

Postby WRW » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:15:53

Yeah, that National standard sounds worrisome (as a federal power and as a means of registration).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby FiremanBob » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 22:11:11

From what I read in the bill, and I could be wrong, but the national standard is not a requirement or registration of owners, but means that reciprocity is the standard nationwide.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 22:57:42

You are correct. There wont be any change in the way the CHP is processed per state. It basically takes the CHP and standardizes it like a driver's license.

Only down side is... you still have to abide by each states law. You still can't carry a G18 with a 30 round mag on the steps of the capital building of DC.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby WRW » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 22:58:45

FiremanBob wrote:From what I read in the bill, and I could be wrong, but the national standard is not a requirement or registration of owners, but means that reciprocity is the standard nationwide.

Ok, I think you are right.
Since you have read it, what are your thoughts on D.C. being excluded as it is not a State nor a subdivision? As well, do you see any problems for residents of permitless concealed carry States?

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 23:28:23

Two Dem co-sponsored the bill. Rep. Peterson, Collin C. [D-MN-7] and Rep. Cramer, Kevin [R-ND-At Large]. Good for them Hopefully they will bend the ear of their peers on their side of the isle to make sure this is a win.

I was originally under the impression that the Senate started this, not the HR. It passes at the HR level every year. The real test is on the Senate floor.

WRW wrote:
FiremanBob wrote:From what I read in the bill, and I could be wrong, but the national standard is not a requirement or registration of owners, but means that reciprocity is the standard nationwide.

Ok, I think you are right.
Since you have read it, what are your thoughts on D.C. being excluded as it is not a State nor a subdivision? As well, do you see any problems for residents of permitless concealed carry States?

Though you are not asking me directly... I'll share my opinion.

I doesn't matter what federal laws are passed or how many law suits are filed, DC will not allow citizens to carry weapons for self defense because the DC City Council, the Mayor and the Chief of Police think that they are somehow special and the law does not apply to them. Even though they are at the heart of this Republic... like most people who make rules... they exempt themselves from feeling any limits imposed on the people... so they just don't give a damn.

To let you know how bad it is... the District doesn't even honor Handicapped/Disabled parking permits issued from outside the District. I'm shocked they honor our Driver's License and vehicle registration. If there was a way to make a buck by fining you and impounding your vehicle for not being registered in DC... you can bet your bottom dollar, they would be doing it.

As far as citizens that live in state with Constitutional Carry laws... they will need to issue a paper permit for the purpose of carrying out of state. If not, those residents can't carry outside of their home state.

Here is the bill.

https://www.congress.gov/114/bills/hr40 ... r402ih.xml

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... e-bill/402

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby WRW » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 00:20:05

Well, going the other way, the 8 permit holders in the District were not issued a State permit.

Actually, I was under the impression that this law would force States to honor, not allow discretion. Enough false arrest suits against any jurisdiction and there won't be any monies left in the traffic camera bank to cover the losses.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 00:30:49

You are right on both points. DC permits would not be valid anywhere else and the law would force state to honor out of state permits.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Viper21 » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 09:32:05

If this passes, couldn't someone who lives in say, Maryland... simply get a Virginia non-resident permit, & be golden, or would this get rid of out of state non-resident permits ??

Either way, I hope it passes. However, I feel less than optimistic O would sign it.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:03:14

Good question.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby wittmeba » Tue, 03 Mar 2015 11:37:49

Viper21 wrote:If this passes, couldn't someone who lives in say, Maryland... simply get a Virginia non-resident permit, & be golden, or would this get rid of out of state non-resident permits ??

Either way, I hope it passes. However, I feel less than optimistic O would sign it.

If you are still required to follow the state laws while in each state it doesn't seem it would matter much. A Virginia permit doesn't do much good now in Maryland, does it?
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Return to Virginia and National Politics (Firearm Related Only)