Amendment to Restore the Right to Bear Arms in Wash DC

Contact your Federal or State Representative and Delegates. Send them an email and let them know that you want them to fight for your Second Amendment Rights.
Forum rules
Gun related political postings are welcome here. If it's not firearm related, please don't post it.

Amendment to Restore the Right to Bear Arms in Wash DC

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:45:20

Rep Thomas Massie (one of my favs) has introduced an amendment to a Washington DC appropriations bill to cut off funding for enforcing the following local laws: Firearms Registration Amendment Act of 2008, the Inoperable Pistol Amendment Act of 2008, the Firearms Amendment Act of 2012, and the Administrative Disposition for Weapons Offenses Amendment Act of 2012.

Massie says "Congress has the authority to legislate in this area pursuant to Article I, Section 8, Clause 17 of the Constitution, which gives Congress the authority to “exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever,” over the District of Columbia. It is time for Congress to step in and stop the DC government’s harassment and punishment of law-abiding citizens who simply want to defend themselves."

Now this may be a dumb question to ask on a gun forum, but what you do think of this? I'm kinda torn. While I agree with the sentiment, I have reservations with the method for two reasons. 1. Those local laws would still be on the books even if they're not being enforced right? Couldn't an appropriations bill in the future just restore that lost funding and then it's back to business as usual? It just seems like a band-aid solution to me. 2. Does the federal government have to get involved in what is obviously a local matter? I understand that according to the Constitution they CAN get involved, but SHOULD they get involved? We're always talking about power to the local and state government to handle its affairs, so doesn't this kinda go against the grain? I understand we're talking about a Constitutionally protected right here, so wouldn't continuing to go through the court system to repeal unconstitutional laws be the proper (if slower) route for a permanent solution? Wouldn't it be more difficult to get the necessary cases in front of judges to strike the laws if the judge declares that no one is being harmed because it's not being enforced (however temporary that lasts)?

http://massieforms.house.gov/news/email ... JZG5HGYK5U

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Re: Amendment to Restore the Right to Bear Arms in Wash DC

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:00:19

The idea is to punish the DC administration as a whole by not paying DC to deny citizens rights. If that doesn't work, then they will defund more and more of the DC gov until they cave or become Maryland State property again. LoL

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 16:45:53

FYI the amendment passed the House 241 - 181.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby WRW » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 18:25:48

Just Repeal Home Rule.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Return to Virginia and National Politics (Firearm Related Only)