Smoke Blower Pictures Thread - Show and Tell

If you're into blowing smoke, this is the forum for you!

Smoke Blower Pictures Thread - Show and Tell

Postby allingeneral » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:40:08

About the only smoke blowing I do is with a cigarette - which I really need to stop doing one of these days before it kills me...but anyway, I'd like to see some pictures of your muzzle loaders laying on the kitchen table, propped up against a tree or with your behind the sights and a puff of smoke coming out of the barrel.

Take a moment to describe the pieces and parts, the bullets and powder that you use... help out a poor dumb guy who doesn't know anything except cartridge ammo. :bangin:
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Re: Smoke Blower Pictures Thread - Show and Tell

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:50:08

allingeneral wrote:About the only smoke blowing I do is with a cigarette -

That just got a bit more expensive, so I hear :offtopic: :death:

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby Moccasin » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 20:11:12

Here's mine, and by the way allin- I quit smoking last month when the prices started going up. It helps if you think about it like this- cigarettes are near $45.00 to $50.00 per carton now, at a pack a day that's 3 cartons per month, that translates into $135-$150 per month that could go towards gun and ammo purchases.

CVA Bushwhacker .50 cal. I use 100 grains (by volume) of Pyrodex RS to push a 350 grain T/C Maxi-Hunter, I usually put a little Pyrodex P directly under the nipple to make sure everything works right. For those not familiar with black powder, Pyrodex is a black powder equivalent. The granules in RS are larger than P, RS is used in Rifles and Shotguns (RS) while P is used in none other than Pistols. You can use P in place of RS but you should use less volume.

Moccasin

Postby toytruck » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 20:17:09

Nice!! Be sure to cleanup that pyrodex good though, its very corrosive and has ruined many a good gun.

toytruck
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Steve

Postby allingeneral » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:28:03

:offtopic:
Moccasin wrote:I quit smoking last month when the prices started going up. It helps if you think about it like this- cigarettes are near $45.00 to $50.00 per carton now, at a pack a day that's 3 cartons per month, that translates into $135-$150 per month that could go towards gun and ammo purchases.

I'm with ya there, brother. I've quit smoking so many times...I'm on the wagon again today. Chantix helps immensely.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby Moccasin » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 11:19:14

allingeneral wrote::offtopic:
Moccasin wrote:I quit smoking last month when the prices started going up. It helps if you think about it like this- cigarettes are near $45.00 to $50.00 per carton now, at a pack a day that's 3 cartons per month, that translates into $135-$150 per month that could go towards gun and ammo purchases.

I'm with ya there, brother. I've quit smoking so many times...I'm on the wagon again today. Chantix helps immensely.

I used nicotine patches for 2 days, then I figured out they were so old that they didn't do any good. Haven't used anything since.

Moccasin

Postby toytruck » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:59:18

allingeneral wrote:About the only smoke blowing I do is with a cigarette - which I really need to stop doing one of these days before it kills me...but anyway, I'd like to see some pictures of your muzzle loaders laying on the kitchen table, propped up against a tree or with your behind the sights and a puff of smoke coming out of the barrel.

Take a moment to describe the pieces and parts, the bullets and powder that you use... help out a poor dumb guy who doesn't know anything except cartridge ammo. :bangin:

Top pic is my White Thunder shotgun .12 guage. I have killed several squirrels with her so far, maybe a turkey someday. The small game load is 1 1/4 oz. #6 shot/ 75 grains of triple 7 2Fg.

Next is my White .410 Whitetail rifle, just got it in March and shot it for the first time this past Sunday. So far it likes 60 grains of triple 7 3Fg and a 380-400 grain conical, dead on at 25 yds, still need to find the 50 and 100 yd. load, but its getting there.

toytruck
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby CajunBass » Wed, 20 May 2009 21:40:59

What I don't know about muzzle-loaders you could write books about. I can't tell you about the load, or what kind of ball I shoot or anything because I've never shot it. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if it's mine or not.

What I do know is, it's a Thompson/Center "Seneca" in .36 cal. It may have been fired before I got it, but I'm not sure.

It actually belongs to an woman I worked with at my former job. She "loaned" it to me about twenty, twenty-five years ago. She got it when se was dating a fellow who was into shooting at the time. When they broke up, she "loaned" it to me, with the understanding "I'll get it back when I want it." I've tried several times to return it, but she says "You keep it. I know where it's at."

I keep saying I'm going to try squirrel hunting with it, but I probably never will.
For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

CajunBass
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Wayne

Postby allingeneral » Wed, 20 May 2009 22:04:25

hehe - Wayne, that's a story to tell your grandchildren! :whistle:

allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby Bob » Wed, 20 May 2009 22:29:03

Nice rifle Wayne, I have that ones big brother they are all stright shooters, T/C is hard to beat, they make a great Muzzleloader.
The Bonnie Blue Flag

"I'll keep My Guns, My Freedom, and My Money, You can keep the Change"

Bob
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bob

Next Firearm:
A new 12 ga. more than likely a Mossberg

Postby toytruck » Thu, 21 May 2009 13:09:03

That Seneca is a rare gun, better hold onto it, if in good shape inside and out its worth $600. I had a .32 Cherokee and sold it to buy my first inline a TC FireHawk. The Cherokee are also hard to come by and I could have doubled my money if I had kept it. :doh:

toytruck
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby corey012778 » Mon, 01 Nov 2010 23:07:37

I just finished this one two weeks ago, the lock is massed up now, broken sear and an weak main spring, should of knew with how the lock looked when I got it, took me two years to put it together from parts.

54cal hawken

corey012778
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
knight usak 50cal muzzleloader
Win Apex 45cal muzzleloader
50 and 54cal hawken
feg 9mm
ruger 96/22

Postby notesdev » Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:56:29

Here some photos of my blunderbuss that Al Edge made for me. She has a 10 gauge brass barrel, Chambers Early English lock, 1st Model Brown Bess furniture and I got to pick out the wood.

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not
warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of
resistance? Let them take arms."
---Thomas Jefferson to William Smith, Paris, November 13, 1787

notesdev
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Charlie

Postby allingeneral » Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:00:55

That's a really nice gun, notes. I always thought the ole blunderbuss was neat.

allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby notesdev » Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:37:58

allingeneral wrote:That's a really nice gun, notes. I always thought the ole blunderbuss was neat.

Thank you! I forgot to mention that her name is Retribution. :-) I'm a member of HM Sloop OTTER, a living history organization that recreates the Royal Navy and its place in Virginia history and I carry her at every event.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not
warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of
resistance? Let them take arms."
---Thomas Jefferson to William Smith, Paris, November 13, 1787

notesdev
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Charlie

Postby gunderwood » Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:24:46

That is a sweet BP rifle. PM sent for details, but I just added it to my list of must get. :)
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby speezack » Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:00:56

Well, here are a couple of 'smoke poles' I have...
This is a .50 cal. Percussion Johathan Browning Mountain Rifle... very accurate, not too many around I think. Has a single set trigger which is pretty neat. Shoots a patched round ball with around 80 to 100 g. 3F... I am working up a load for Black Magic artificial black powder... still working on that.

This is a .50 cal. flintlock Dixie Tennessee very accurate but hard to hold since the barrel is so long. Shoots patched round ball with about 80 g. 3F. has double triggers... set trigger. very light touch, really nice shooter and good quality.

This little rifle is a .45 cal. flintlock that I built from a kit. I have shot it but not enough to tell you much other than it also shoots a patched round ball. Also pretty accurate

This is a Springfield 1863 .58 cal. 3 banded musket used in the late stages of the Civil War... I shot with it extensively in the NSSA some 25 years ago. It is very accurate and I shot at many meets over the years, shot a very low level charge of 50 g. 3F behind a conical 500g. bullet. It was like shooting a brick at something... very large bullet and a lot of smoke... very much fun... and I had many years of enjoyment... it hangs on my wall over my computer desk along with an original bayonet and scabbard and an "Arkansas Toothpick"... fighting knife...

I don't have any modern black powder stuff... I hunt with all but the Springfield and have killed deer with all except the little .45... I did get a couple of squirrels but that's about it... Flintlocks are sort of hard to shoot because of the delay between pulling the trigger and the pan firing the round.... but you can get used to it.
Bill Marx, Sr.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
"Will Rogers"

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
speezack
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
... can you ever have enough????

Next Firearm:
always wanted..... M1918A2 BAR, for varmits and such...

Postby speezack » Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:23:46

Well, here are a couple of 'smoke poles' I have...
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<picture gone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This is a .50 cal. Percussion Johathan Browning Mountain Rifle... very accurate, not too many around I think. Has a single set trigger which is pretty neat. Shoots a patched round ball with around 80 to 100 g. 3F... I am working up a load for Black Magic artificial black powder... still working on that.
<<<<<<<picture gone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This is a .50 cal. flintlock Dixie Tennessee very accurate but hard to hold since the barrel is so long. Shoots patched round ball with about 80 g. 3F. has double triggers... set trigger. very light touch, really nice shooter and good quality.

Not sure what happened here but....... the pictures are as follows....

This is a .50 cal. Percussion Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle... very accurate, not too many around I think. Has a single set trigger which is pretty neat. Shoots a patched round ball with around 80 to 100 g. 3F... I am working up a load for Black Magic artificial black powder... still working on that.

This is a .50 cal. flintlock Dixie Tennessee very accurate but hard to hold since the barrel is so long. Shoots patched round ball with about 80 g. 3F. has double triggers... set trigger. very light touch, really nice shooter and good quality
Bill Marx, Sr.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
"Will Rogers"

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
speezack
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby speezack » Tue, 01 Feb 2011 12:30:18

Not sure what is happening to the pictures from Photobucket... I think I have it fixed now... anyway...

I have been saying 3F powder... it may have been 2F... I think the 3F was used in the flash pan on flintlocks.. and the 2F was used in the charge. Some of the more informed on here can maybe correct me on this... I use Pyrodex or other artificial powder now... burns cleaner and less cleanup and fouls better. I might ask of the members...

>>are these propellants still about the only ones available? Swiss Blackpowder, Triple Se7en loose powder, or Black Mag 3??? I have used the Black Mag and it seems fine... just as an afterthought I wanted to pose this question.
Bill Marx, Sr.
"Will Rogers"

speezack
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby KaosDad » Tue, 01 Feb 2011 13:40:07

AW man - now y'all got me thinking about building a Brown Bess.

Well, later.
Proud Navy Dad

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
KaosDad
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Rich

My Arsenal:
Tee Hee.

Next Firearm:
Whatever pisses off Moms Demand and Bloomburg

Next

Return to Muzzleloaders and Black Powder