Hey all....

If you're into blowing smoke, this is the forum for you!

Hey all....

Postby Diggs27 » Thu, 13 Nov 2014 00:56:50

Well; what a night I had.... 2 guns "grabbed" and added to my collection. My fiance and I have been assisting a woman from our church clean out her house since her husband passed away; and in lieu of a cash payment, she allowed me to have my choice of 2 firearms from his collection. My first grab was a Ruger M77 Mk2 bolt action rifle chambered in 30-06 SPG. I was looking at a few others, but wanted to add a muzzle loader to my collection, so grabbed a Thompson's Grey Hawk (.54 Cal). Was able to find and download a manual for the ruger on line, but not having any luck with the Thompson... It is a side lock and I believe it takes #11 percussion caps, but not sure. If any one on here could lead me in the right direction. Also; this is the first muzzle loader I have ever owned, so do have a few questions as far as proper "loads" for white tail hunting. Also; even though it is a .54; would I be able to use the .50 cal pyrodex pellets in this gun or do I have to find the .54?? Everywhere I have looked online is sold out of them at this moment and just getting into the muzzle loading scene; really do not want to fool around with loose powder right yet.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Diggs27
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joe

My Arsenal:
Daisy "pump action" BB gun......LOL
Mossberg 702 Plinkster w/ 4X scope
Mossberg 500 Field/deer combo

Next Firearm:
Walthers PPK .40

Re: Hey all....

Postby skeeterss0 » Thu, 13 Nov 2014 08:40:03

Think this may be the basic muzzle loader manual for TC. Hope it Helps:

http://www.tiropratico.com/manuali-pdf/ ... ns_Man.pdf
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:
not sure, revolver or 20 gauge shotty

Postby Diggs27 » Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:45:42

This does definitely help me out with a lot of questions I had; thank you ..... other than the one as far as using .50 cal pre formed pellets in a .54 caliber. I see that 100 grains seems to be right in the middle of the load charts and would really like to use that as my charge. Just really do not want to have to mess with the measuring of loose powder just yet as I said due to being pretty new to the BP scene.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Diggs27
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joe

My Arsenal:
Daisy "pump action" BB gun......LOL
Mossberg 702 Plinkster w/ 4X scope
Mossberg 500 Field/deer combo

Next Firearm:
Walthers PPK .40

Postby jdonovan » Thu, 13 Nov 2014 14:33:29

I'm not sure I would do that. I know you need to have no air space around your powder charge with loose powder, but I'm not 100% sure how it translates to pre formed charges. I would give Hodgons' tech support line a call and ask them.

.54 pellets are available, but are much harder to find, as the US market has mostly standardized around .50 cal.

Loose powder isn't that hard to work with, and you can measure at home before you go out hunting and use a 'speed loader' with a measured charge.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Return to Muzzleloaders and Black Powder