I have a black powder rifle that.....

If you're into blowing smoke, this is the forum for you!

I have a black powder rifle that.....

Postby davasmith » Sat, 01 Jan 2011 11:14:22

Hello, I have black powder rifle that I purchased from a friend who was having financial diffuculties. I have never fired a bp rifle and do not even know how to load it. Is there some info on the web that could inform me of how to safely fire my rifle? Thanks.

davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joshua

My Arsenal:
A sharp wit, and a big stick.... shhhh...

Next Firearm:
Class 3 Form 4 ???

Re: I have a black powder rifle that.....

Postby SgtBill » Sat, 01 Jan 2011 13:20:31

Do a yahoo or google searc and you will get a ton of information.
Bill

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Too many to list.

Postby meak99 » Sat, 01 Jan 2011 14:43:58

In addtion, if you let us know the make/model I am sure we can get you some info.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

meak99
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Matt

Postby davasmith » Sat, 01 Jan 2011 20:39:54

The model is Apollo and it is made by or imported by Connecticut Valley Arms. It states made in Spain. It is a .50cal black powder only rifle. Thank you for the replies.....

davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
Class 3 Form 4 ???

Postby meak99 » Sat, 01 Jan 2011 21:34:15

First of all... does the serial number end in "95" or "96"? The CVA Apollo was recalled due to a large number of catastrophic failures and injuries.

CVA VOLUNTARY RECALL NOTICE:

In August 1997 CVA implemented a Voluntary Recall of In-Line rifle models with serial numbers ending in -95 and -96. If you have a CVA In-Line model with such a serial number, DO NOT USE OR ALLOW ANYONE ELSE TO USE THE GUN. If you have one of these rifles, please call CVA immediately at 770-449-4687 for complete details and a free replacement gun. Example serial numbers: 61-13-XXXXXX-95 or 61-13-XXXXXX-96.

In May 1999 Blackpowder Products, Inc. purchased the assets of Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. and now operates under the trade name of Connecticut Valley Arms and/or CVA. Any claims relating to the above described Voluntary Recall should be addressed to Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc., not Blackpowder Products, Inc. Blackpowder Products, Inc. assumes no liability for any products manufactured prior to January 1, 1998."

Now, if you still choose to shoot it - you need the following: Percussion caps, black powder (loose or pellets), and .50 cal muzzle loader bullets. I am not familiar with the Apollo, but here are the basics.

1. Make sure your breech plug is in, and snug.
2. I'd start with a small charge, maybe 50 grain of loose powder, or a single Triple Seven pellet, pour it in the muzzle.
3. Seat a bullet (in the sabot, if required) into the muzzle and use your ramrod to seat the bullet firmly against the powder.
4. Insert cap, cock, shoot into a safe backstop.

If you're going for accuracy, i'd swab the bore after each shot. If your just shooting for fun, that is certainly not necessary.

meak99
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Matt

Postby davasmith » Sun, 02 Jan 2011 07:08:43

Meak99, thank you for the info. My serial starts with 61 and ends with 98. I do appreciate your letting me know about the recall. I will try what you suggested with the 50 grains first as I am just wanting to experience the black powder rush. I will work up to accuracy later. Thank you again.

davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
Class 3 Form 4 ???

Return to Muzzleloaders and Black Powder