Make my wife feel better... about her caliber.

A place to trade stories, pictures and outings. If you're looking for a place to hunt, ask here. Please discuss camping here as well as anything else that you do during hunting season - preparations, scouting, etc.

Make my wife feel better... about her caliber.

Postby Mindflayer » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 22:10:40

My wife's deer gun is a Savage Lady Hunter in .308 Win. She's talked to a few hunters who are shocked! that she is using such a large caliber. Sure, she could get a .243 or a .270, but frankly, if no one is buying us a rifle, I think it's a good all purpose rifle for here and MI.

Thoughts?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Re: Make my wife feel better... about her caliber.

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 22:46:48

Didn't think you could go wrong with a 308. Until people are lining up to buy her another rifle, take their comments with a grain of salt.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby FiremanBob » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 23:21:21

I'd have her respond, "Those calibers are fine for little deer, but I only hunt the big ones."
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 06:50:09

The only rifle to use is a .30 Cal. Doesn't matter if its a 30-30, 30-06, or .308. The best of those 3 is the .308 in my humble opinion. Its more lethal out to 1100+ meters because it has more energy, has a flatter flight path, and flies faster than the others.

If that isn't reason enough, let her know that over 180 nations use that Cal rifle for the primary infantrymen small arms weapon because it IS the best.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Viper21 » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 09:06:14

One of my sons hunts with a Winchester lever action .308 He loves it. Every deer he has shot with it, dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

Postby WRW » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 09:21:24

As long as it is not destroying meat or overkilling the deer, then it is a perfectly good round.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby dorminWS » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 11:05:01

Tell her to ignore them....it's just caliber envy.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby Viper21 » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 11:13:16

MarcSpaz wrote:The only rifle to use is a .30 Cal. Doesn't matter if its a 30-30, 30-06, or .308. The best of those 3 is the .308 in my humble opinion. Its more lethal out to 1100+ meters because it has more energy, has a flatter flight path, and flies faster than the others.

If that isn't reason enough, let her know that over 180 nations use that Cal rifle for the primary infantrymen small arms weapon because it IS the best.

The 30.06 is faster than the .308 I like em both though.

When it comes to deer hunting, ain't too many people shooting white tail at 1100yds..lol. In fact, I would be willing to bet that here in Virginia, the average shot fired at a white tail is 100yds or less. I've had multiple successful shots at deer @ 300yds. They were in open fields. The majority of shots are at much shorter distances.

My personal preference for deer hunting is a .270 I prefer it because the rifle is light weight, & the ammo is inexpensive, & readily available. .270 ammo can be had typically at $20/box. Rarely do I see any 30 caliber ammo even close.

For white tail, I'd be comfortable with most common calibers. I've taken deer with 25-06, .270, .308, & 30-06. From 50yds, to 300yds. All performed perfectly for the intended purpose. Having said that, if I was going for big game at distances greater than 300 or so yds.... I would consider something else. Most common I see for that would be .300 mag

In my opinion, the type of hunting you are doing is a determining factor in what rifle to carry. If you are hiking into the mountains, or woods.... typically your shots are gonna be reasonably short distances. Then the bulk & weight of your rifle comes into play. vs. if you are sitting in a blind overlooking a valley with shots at 3-500yds, then the caliber, load, ballistics, & optics come much more into play.

For the average deer hunter in Virginia.... any high powered rifle with standard otc ammunition will more than handle 95% of the game, & circumstances they are going to encounter.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:57:51

I mentioned the 1100+ aspect to highlight the "multipurpose" benefits of the round (also true for the 30-06).

As far as price of .308... I've been paying $18 a box for factory new for the last 3 years. The price isn't to bad. Match grade is about $40 for 20.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Viper21 » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 17:28:19

MarcSpaz wrote:I mentioned the 1100+ aspect to highlight the "multipurpose" benefits of the round (also true for the 30-06).

As far as price of .308... I've been paying $18 a box for factory new for the last 3 years. The price isn't to bad. Match grade is about $40 for 20.

That's a good price. Out in the boonies where I live, it's harder to come by at a reasonable price. I will usually stock up when in the city if I find a good price on it. Wally World typically has great prices.... they just rarely have ammo in my area. Doesn't seem to be a priority of theirs anymore.

Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 18:36:39

Its funny you mention that. I was just talking with my son about it. Seems like the more rural stores don't really have much in the way of rifle or pistol ammo, but seem to have plenty of shotgun shells. Ironically, the Sporting Good dept. of Wally World in the middle of Hoodbridge could be mistaken for an Army Depot and Armory. Last time I was there, I guy was in the parking lot changing the oil on a deuce n' a half.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Viper21 » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 19:03:37

It's true. Where I live.... shotgun shells are everywhere. Full shelves, bricks, most gauges too. However, it is mostly bird shot, or target shot. #4 or larger is harder to come by, & expensive. Same with 3" shells. Most of the stuff on the shelves are 2 3/4" bird shot. $6-7/box. If you find any #4, #5, or #2 it's over $20/box, slugs & buck shot are $10+ for a box of 5 shells :bangin:

Great if you are shooting clay I suppose. However, I shoot more rifle, & pistol rounds than shotgun. I try to watch for sales. Some stores will throw out a great price once in awhile as a door buster. I've had better luck with that than even some of the gun shows. The AR ammo seems to sell by the pickup load at those shows but, the last one I went to, a few weeks ago.... didn't have any decent deals on ammo that I saw. At least not in the calibers I've been rumored to have :whistle:

Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 19:16:32

I gave up on going to gun shows for any reason other than to hang out with my friends who want to go. Even then, I haven't been in close to a year. It seems like the price on everything is retail or more. Especially the show at the Expo Center in Dulles

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby SHMIV » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 23:01:20

Myself, as a general rule, I don't like to criticize anyones firearm choices. Obviously, there are exceptions; if you show me a .22 pocket pistol and tell me that you plan to use it to hunt bear, I will likely ask you if you are daft.

But, if you are having success with a particular rifle, in a particular caliber, and it's comfortable, and everyone is happy, then don't worry about it. Why fix what ain't broke?

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby Snakester » Mon, 09 Mar 2015 17:53:59

Mindflayer wrote:My wife's deer gun is a Savage Lady Hunter in .308 Win. She's talked to a few hunters who are shocked! that she is using such a large caliber. Sure, she could get a .243 or a .270, but frankly, if no one is buying us a rifle, I think it's a good all purpose rifle for here and MI.

Thoughts?

When my wife hunted deer she used a 30.06 . Winchester model 70 Bolt Action. Never had any issues . I have been shooting a Ruger American .308 alot recently with my buddy. I have the same RA in 30.06 . My wife has also shot his .308 and is very comfortable with it. I think the .308 is a great choice for your wife to hunt with. It's not like she is skeet shooting....but hunting , she should be fine!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby dorminWS » Tue, 10 Mar 2015 09:55:10

Viper21 wrote:It's true. Where I live.... shotgun shells are everywhere. Full shelves, bricks, most gauges too. However, it is mostly bird shot, or target shot. #4 or larger is harder to come by, & expensive. Same with 3" shells. Most of the stuff on the shelves are 2 3/4" bird shot. $6-7/box. If you find any #4, #5, or #2 it's over $20/box, slugs & buck shot are $10+ for a box of 5 shells :bangin:

Great if you are shooting clay I suppose. However, I shoot more rifle, & pistol rounds than shotgun. I try to watch for sales. Some stores will throw out a great price once in awhile as a door buster. I've had better luck with that than even some of the gun shows. The AR ammo seems to sell by the pickup load at those shows but, the last one I went to, a few weeks ago.... didn't have any decent deals on ammo that I saw. At least not in the calibers I've been rumored to have :whistle:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You ought to be able to find some pretty plentiful stocks of larger shot as well as 3" and 3.5" shells ( 10 gauge too) in an area where there is significant waterfowl hunting going on. It will probably be steel or bismuth shot, though; and the former is inferior to lead while the latter is pricey. Stores around here carry some larger lead shot for turkey hunters, but I'd guess they have it marked up, too.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby 0ne5hot » Thu, 09 Apr 2015 10:50:01

I have used a 458 socom on deer and shot placement is still more important then the size of the bullet.
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy’s will to be imposed on him."
~ Sun Tzu

0ne5hot
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Brian

My Arsenal:
The ~6" of grey matter between my ears...

Next Firearm:
maybe a handgun???

Postby screwedbygoogle » Thu, 24 Sep 2015 07:39:00

You told us about your wife's rifle....but nothing about your wife!

Before I give my opinion on the rifle and cartridge I want to know if she can handle the 308?

Recoil not a problem?

Rifle fits her size for carry and shooting?

Is she accurate and confident?

If you can answer "Yes" to the above questions, then, the 308 is a fine cartridge for her.

If "No", then maybe a step down to something with less recoil, weight, length, blast, and intimation.

Where I live I found my average shot over the years to be 35 yards on deer. So I have been using my bow right on through BP and smokeless season.

But, this year I am going to try the 300 Blackout. Which means my 308's are still gathering dust. Ha-ha.

The 300 BLK, by the way, is very low recoil, efficient out of a short barrel, low muzzle blast, extremely accurate, should be good on deer out to 150 yards or so and suppressable by simply changing ammo (and screwing on a silencer).

My only fear is my wife is going to take mine.

I have a stainless steel 300 BLK barrel for my Encore that is slightly used, we can talk about, if interested.
This is a cheap way to try out a new caliber.

I am not a curmudgeon, I am THE Curmudgeon!

screwedbygoogle
On Target
On Target

Return to Hunting in Virginia