Hunting on family owned land

A place to trade stories, pictures and outings. If you're looking for a place to hunt, ask here. Please discuss camping here as well as anything else that you do during hunting season - preparations, scouting, etc.

Hunting on family owned land

Postby sboyajian » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:21:49

I'll be going out this year for the first time, and will be hunting on family owned land. I know I don't need a license for this (although I will likely take the class and get one anyway), however how does private property work in regards to tagging and checking?

Do you still have to tag a deer shot on your own property? Will the class go through the process of how to properly tag/check game, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help..

sboyajian
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Steve

My Arsenal:
A Heavy Rock

Re: Hunting on family owned land

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 13:47:45

sboyajian wrote:I'll be going out this year for the first time, and will be hunting on family owned land. I know I don't need a license for this (although I will likely take the class and get one anyway), however how does private property work in regards to tagging and checking?

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/re ... censes.asp

Resident or non-resident landowners, their spouses, their children and grandchildren and the spouses of such children and grandchildren, or the landowner's parents, resident or nonresident, do not need a license to hunt, trap or fish (on inland waters) within the boundaries of their own lands.

depends how its owned... you might need a license even though its 'family' property.

Do you still have to tag a deer shot on your own property?

Yes. No difference if you are license exempt or not. You still check it, get a check number, and have to keep that with the animal until processed.

Will the class go through the process of how to properly tag/check game, etc

Have not taken the VA class, but I expect it will cover that.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Grendel69 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 22:28:35

Last week, we visited the property we bought and I saw 3 deer and 2 huge turkeys flying out of the woods.

Talked briefly with our only neighbor who said they see turkey every morning walking across the opening of our land.

Cant wait to get down there.

Grendel69
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Grendel

My Arsenal:
CZ-75 .40cal
Browning 1911 .22
Bersa Thunder .380
Daniel Defense Ambush .223
Ruger Mini 14 .223
Marlin Model1894 Lever Action .357 Mag
Remington 700 SPS 30-06

Postby Newgunguy » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 21:11:41

Congrats Grendel69 for escaping the clutches on the incompetent and self centered new england area! We are still looking at areas around the Danville area and my wife wanted to see what you consider a decent piece of property? I have been wanting about 30 acres, with what the price is there and here for the property taxes, I see it as a no brainer to just get the land. I hope you have fun and a safe trip out of that area!

Charles.
[url="http://www.signaturebar.com/"]Image[/url]

Newgunguy
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Ruger SR9c
Savage FXP .22LR
2 Mosin Nagants

Postby Grendel69 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 22:01:54

^ Thanks!

If you have any questions, feel free to send me private message.

Bascially I used realtor and zillow,Google maps and spent alot of time researching city-data forums for spots I was interested in.

We found alot of acreage near Smith Mountain Lake and hope to break ground in august and will be homesteading. Im loving Virginia so far ! Good luck.

Grendel69
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Grendel

My Arsenal:
CZ-75 .40cal
Browning 1911 .22
Bersa Thunder .380
Daniel Defense Ambush .223
Ruger Mini 14 .223
Marlin Model1894 Lever Action .357 Mag
Remington 700 SPS 30-06

Postby seeknulfind » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 06:55:11

Lots of land for sale here in Lunenburg County. It's being snapped up by loggers who the proceed to strip it bare.

seeknulfind
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

My Arsenal:
Arsenal? Isn't that like playing with fire?

Next Firearm:
Maybe something in a camel hair trigger...

Return to Hunting in Virginia