My wager to you.

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Re: My wager to you.

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 09:19:23

Rich wrote:I don't think so. I am in my 60's and I have seen various groups at various times predict something like this many times over the years. Short of a near total economic collapse I dont expect anything major to happen. By and large I think most people are too apathetic and too lazy to be bothered.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I hope you're right; and you may be. But it seems to me the situation is different and the USA is more vulnerable than ever before:

-Only 47% (if you ignore all the manipulative statistical tricks) are employed in this country
-Vastly more people are more dependent upon the dole than ever before
- The dollar is less sound, and has more viable competing currencies than has been the case for a very long time.
- Our manufacturing base is pretty much a shambles
- Our population, even though it has always been said to be a "melting pot", is considerably less homogenous and united than before. There are just more factions that are more likely to not respect the "peace and dignity" of our society if they get hungrier or needier.
- Said population is even more concentrated in urban and suburban areas and even less capable of "living off the land" or "getting by" for a while if the store shelves go empty and/or the cards (EBT and otherwise) stop swiping.
- Our whole damned economy is operating on a just-in-time inventory basis with razor-thin inventories designed to cut carrying costs, so that a disruption of a day or two in any major logistics chain and the resulting cascading out-of-stocks for vital supplies could have the impact of a hurricane Katrina even for a relatively short-term hiccup. The fact that so much of what our supply chain delivers originates overseas, and the deal gets worse.
- Finally, IMO our financial system is currently being dangerously manipulated by both the federal government and Wall Street; which in my view makes it much more susceptible to the kind of collapse that could bring about chaos.

I'm sure I've overlooked other substantial points of difference with earlier times, but there is ample reason to be concerned that our future stability and security will not be as secure as our past.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby rlbellco72 » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 09:44:51

Not a bet I would make personally. Lot's of good comments in this discussion.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready.

Theodore Roosevelt

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
rlbellco72
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Rodney

Postby arkypete » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 09:58:52

I would suggest that conversations such this would best be held while taking a walk in the park.

Jim

arkypete
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 10:15:31

arkypete wrote:I would suggest that conversations such this would best be held while taking a walk in the park.

Jim

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I guess this is where I point out that I am not advocating or eagerly anticipating such a calamity; but only speculating in the hypothetical about a possibility. Occurs to me that if we can't do that here, then it probably ain't safe in the park, either.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 12:28:42

“But great as our tax burden is, it has not kept pace with public spending. For decades, we have piled deficit upon deficit, mortgaging our future and our children's future for the temporary convenience of the present. To continue this long trend is to guarantee tremendous social, cultural, political, and economic upheavals….. We must act today in order to preserve tomorrow. And let there be no misunderstanding--we are going to begin to act, beginning today”

- President Ronald Reagan First Inaugural Address.

But guess what? All this time later, we are still digging an ever-deeper hole.

dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Kreutz » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 14:06:01

arkypete wrote:I would suggest that conversations such this would best be held while taking a walk in the park.

Jim

We are free to speculate about the future no?

The thing we all agree on is the eight ball seems to say in regards to the future is "all signs point to worse".

In regards to your concern, I always did ponder why some people actually do advocate violent overthrow of the gubbermint....hell, just be patient and wait for it to collapse of its volition and then live out your Mad Max fantasies. Though my money on a post-collapse life would be more Articles of Confederation than chaos, with some states coming out vastly in better shape than others.

Hell, Texas may not even notice if Washington DC vanished.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Kreutz
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Lolwhut

My Arsenal:
12ga.
9mm
7.62x38R
8x56r

Next Firearm:
can't sell another kidney (never said I was gonna sell mine)

Postby Mindflayer » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 13:54:45

Ferguson, MO right now. There are peaceful protests being met with violent reaction by the local police. We've militarized so many departments, despite crime having dropped over the last 40 years. This kind of reaction will become more common, even after the condemnation.

There will be a breaking point.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby TacticalMom » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:04:25

Just read this, in Ferguson, they are "supposed" to be removing the police, that have been "policing" the protests.

-----------------------------------------------
The St. Louis County Police Department will no longer be involved in policing Ferguson, Missouri, the suburban community rocked by protests after the death of an unarmed black teenager who was shot by a police officer last week.

Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.), who represents Ferguson, told Bloomberg on Thursday that Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon (D) is expected to announce the decision later today.

"The gov. just called me and he's on his way to St. Louis now to announce he's taking St. Louis County police out of the situation," he said.

The situation, already tenuous after extensive police presence that included rubber bullets, pepper spray and tear gas since Michael Brown's death last week, exploded Wednesday evening after SWAT officers roughed up and arrested two reporters inside a local McDonald's. The journalists were unharmed, but the incident highlighted the town's ramped up police presence, which has been criticized as overly militarized.

--------------------------------------
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/1 ... 78441.html

When we have to bring in the FBI, or Coast Guard, (what have you) to de-escalate a problem, you know its all ready a gigantic Cluster F.

:coffee:
"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."
Abraham Lincoln

TacticalMom
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Tanya

My Arsenal:
Oh nothing special, just Nerf,squirt,and rubber dart

Next Firearm:
Yes Please, can I have some more.

Postby kelu » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:17:20

As part of this approach, the United States is preparing a proposal to require systemically important banks to issue bail-inable long-term debt that will enable insolvent banks to recapitalize themselves http://www.goldcore.com/goldcore_blog/U ... A_Proposal

This is proposed by the guy that is #2 in Fed. You had $500K in the savings account, for retirement? You will get back $50K, the rest being converted to some kind of bonds, with possibility to cash in 30 years.
That day is coming, and is coming fast. What kind of unrest will you see then?
Last edited by kelu on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:18:19, edited 1 time in total.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Mindflayer » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:17:43

Frankly, I don't think the Feds should be involved yet, and especially no one under Holder. Allow the State governor to send in the National Guard (don't get me started on that...) to recover, if needed.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:22:37

I don't think they don't need military or different police. They need a group that is very obviously a civilian community organizer that the locals are familiar with to defuse the situation by reassuring the people that their concerns will be address and their behavior was/is unacceptable.

BUT, if they act out and riot, they deserve to go to jail.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby kelu » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:27:42

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Kreutz » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:32:34

MarcSpaz wrote:I don't think they don't need military or different police. They need a group that is very obviously a civilian community organizer that the locals are familiar with to defuse the situation by reassuring the people that their concerns will be address and their behavior was/is unacceptable.

BUT, if they act out and riot, they deserve to go to jail.

The looters are not from Ferguson. They came in from St Louis.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Kreutz
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Lolwhut

My Arsenal:
12ga.
9mm
7.62x38R
8x56r

Next Firearm:
can't sell another kidney (never said I was gonna sell mine)

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:49:49

If anything, this will bring the militarized police issue to bear. Because, when they try that in a middle class suburb? Someone will get killed. And it won't be the causation, it'll be in REACTION...

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 19:17:32

Actually, there was a second Police involved shooting during the "rioting". A LEO had a rifle aimed at was is believed to be a group of peaceful, unarmed protesters and the LEO were trying to corral them up. A CHP holder thought the cop was going to open-fire on a group of unarmed people and drew his concealed weapon and got dropped by the cop.

The citizen didn't die, but local PD made good an damn sure the media didn't get info on it and did everything they could to keep it quite.

I think a lot of stuff like this is happening there, which is why they started taking reporters and media affiliates "into custody for failure to obey." Its too hard to hide evidence of your criminal activity if people are video recording your every move.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby mamabearCali » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 19:25:49

I heard about that. The police need to cool it.

It is one thing when a child has a temper tantrum. It is another thing when a parent has one.

This is not going to end well. If wiser and cooler heads do not prevail we are going to have serious problems.

On the bet. No thanks. This whole world is a tinderbox.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby TallEd » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 10:33:15

The biggest problem I see with that bet is 1000 US dollars won't be worth much, if anything once that happens.
"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

TallEd
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Ed

My Arsenal:
Crossbow and a pellet gun.

Next Firearm:
Building my own blunderbuss.

Postby Mindflayer » Sun, 30 Jun 2019 22:32:05

Bet still stands. Any takers?

Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby Mindflayer » Sun, 30 Jun 2019 22:33:51

Side note - I, too, am not advocating insurrection in any way, shape, or form. I fear the far left is going that route. I just want peace and constructive debate, not beating old.men with crowbars and throwing chemicals on reporters.

Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 01 Jul 2019 10:09:11

The reason no one is taking your bet is because part of a bet involves speculation. There is no gamble in a sure thing. :hysterical:

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion