California vs. HAM

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

California vs. HAM

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 22 Dec 2019 20:06:12

The other day, I mentioned the importance of communication, in another thread. Today, I read this article on California starting to shut down HAM operators. They're starting by levying hefty fees on repeaters that have been placed on public land.

https://wzogo.wordpress.com/2019/12/20/ ... alifornia/

With California being the Official Forest Fire State, I wonder what effect this will have on fire fighting ability and evacuation efforts?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Re: California vs. HAM

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 22 Dec 2019 22:40:59

I'm a ham and I own a mobile repeater system that I bring to disaster responses. My setup cost me almost $70,000. I have acquaintances that have even more powerful/capable fixed-station repeaters that cover thousands of square miles and several radio services. Those folks have setups that cost more than many homes in our area and the monthly operation costs are in the order of thousands, in some cases.

Members of the clubs, volunteers, and local, state and federal government agencies have all established MOU's for Hams to function in an official capacity in a time of crisis. This was done because no matter how well the government tries to prepare, they have to deal with budgets, bureaucracy, and the very intentional "slowness" of government.

Hams don't have to deal with any of that stuff, which is what makes us the best at what we do. That is bringing voice, internet, email, video and broad-scope multi-agency communications, where and when it's needed, and WELL.

This very concept is also what makes the People... the unorganized Militia... the best defenders of our own freedom. The parallels are as plain as the text you are reading. And it should serve as evidence that once you can no longer defend your freedom, they government will start taking everything else away.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Return to General Discussion