Hyper-V Issue

Firearms-related electronica including printable targets, ballistics tables, links to reloading software and other firearms related software.

Hyper-V Issue

Postby Rumson » Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:24:03

Guess this goes in general.. I'm at a new job limping a Hyper-V cluster until we migrate to VMware.. I'm a VMware guy and not a Hyper-V guy..

Issue: I have an export copy of a Hyper-V vm from a Vendor.. I'm able to import that copy into Hyper-V to local server disk only.. If I import to iSCSI disk on Dell Equalloigic attached to the same server it errors out.. I'm not able to storage motion it to the iSCSI disk either.. I receive a different set of errors related to what I believe are permission/access type issues to the .vhd disks.. If I copy the .vhd files direct to iSCSI disk and use those disks on a new VM I receive similar errors again.. Without going into firmware and version levels and errors and every article I've read over the last two days, has anybody seen this? You can import to local disk but not iSCSI disk? I'm viewing it as a iSCSI/Cluster disk permission that I can't find.. I many years experience on vCenter with FC SAN. But new to Hyper-V

- Rumson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Rumson
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Rumson

My Arsenal:
Break in and find out.

Re: Hyper-V Issue

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:35:59

Moved this over to Geeks with Guns forum.

I have VMware experience, but no Hyper-V and not much hands on with SANs in the past few years. Maybe Rick has some insight to share. In any case, at least I did bump the thread.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 23 Feb 2015 18:21:38

I went through this about 5 months ago. Its a driver issue. The people who sent you the image need to open it on their end,run iSCSI Initiator and configure it for iSCSI, test it, and export the updateed version to you. If they have already done this, then there is another IO driver causing a conflict. You can troubleshoot the IO conflict on you end if the iSCSI Initiator has already
Been run.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby allingeneral » Mon, 23 Feb 2015 19:23:23

You should forget about running virtual machines on top of Windows and find a nice Linux KVM/Qemu setup :)

There - fixed it for ya :roll:
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 23 Feb 2015 21:03:03

I have to say, I was a huge Microsoft Hypervisor fan until I got certified in VMWare. Now I wonder why people would ever use Microsoft Hypervisor. LOL

And yes... VMWare's hypervisor is built on the Linux platform.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Return to Geeks with Guns