Train Safe (Product Review)

Train Safe (Product Review)

Postby KaosDad » Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:13:48

When I was at the range yesterday they were hosting a Law Enforcement Trexpo. The had a couple of interesting looking Urban Assault Vehicles out front and some vendors inside. Nothing to really crow about, but there was one gent giving away orange sticks!!

Actually, it was John Carlin the Owner/Inventor of the Train Safe training safety aid.

The idea is that the stick is inserted into the barrel with the large end being in the breech.

Obviously, this means the firearm has to be broken down to insert the aid. Once reassembled the pistol will look like this:

As you can see from this photo (hopefully) it is impossible to chamber a round with the stick in place;

At the same time, even with the chamber closed, there is a strong visual aid that ther gun cannot fire;

The Train Safe does allow you have a fully loaded magazine in place. So, you can safely train with your firearm, fully "loaded" for proper weight and it still fits into your holster. As a training aid, I think it's a fine product. It added no additional bulk or weight to the firearm but made it perfectly safe and obviously so. I did try to chamber a round which was a complete no-go and was a bit of a chore to recover from as the round had been pushed forward from the magazine just enough to prohibit the mag from dropping out cleanly.

However, Mr. Carlin also tried to sell this as a house hold safety device. Well, hopefully you have something else to use for defense because, unless you're well trained, breaking your sidearm down to remove the stick and reassembling before teh zombies make it up the stairs may be a bit of a challenge.
Proud Navy Dad

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
KaosDad
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Rich

My Arsenal:
Tee Hee.

Next Firearm:
Whatever pisses off Moms Demand and Bloomburg

Re: Train Safe (Product Review)

Postby LFS » Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:07:33

Looks pretty nifty. I just ordered one. Out of curiosity, are they selling them at SEG?

LFS
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Andy

My Arsenal:
Had to sell them all to buy a tank of gas.

Postby tursiops » Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:41:02

So, I see the title of this thread, and think, "Cool. A safe to carry my guns on the train. Wonder how it's different than how I'd check it on an airplane?"

A little cognitive dissonance there....

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
tursiops
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: yes

Postby KaosDad » Sat, 21 Aug 2010 16:33:05

LFS wrote:Looks pretty nifty. I just ordered one. Out of curiosity, are they selling them at SEG?

Nope - the company owner was just there for the Trexpo.
Proud Navy Dad

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
KaosDad
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Rich

My Arsenal:
Tee Hee.

Next Firearm:
Whatever pisses off Moms Demand and Bloomburg

Postby davasmith » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:11:10

Whatever happened to finger off the trigger, and not pointing the gun where you didn't want to shoot? The purpose of this seems a little benign to me. Are you supposed to rack the action while practicing with a fully loaded weapon/clip? Then your just spurting live rounds all over the ground that you have to go back and police up. Train safe, in my opinion is a terrible waste of time with breaking a weapon down then reassembling it. Simple common sense, and a little practice (safely) does the job most of the time. I do however like the cool blaze orange color. :coffee:

davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joshua

My Arsenal:
A sharp wit, and a big stick.... shhhh...

Next Firearm:
Class 3 Form 4 ???

Postby OakRidgeStars » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:59:32

FNH used to ship a similar device with their FNP-series of pistols (might have been optional?). My FNP-45 came with one.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Return to Firearms