Kahr CM9

Kahr CM9

Postby familyman » Sun, 04 Mar 2012 23:35:44

Hey guys, I justed added a Kahr CM9 to my arsenal and after a couple hundred rounds, I am very pleased. The one main thing I don't like is how sharp and small the slide stop is. Does anyone know any who might sell a flatter slide stop? I tried the Kahr website, a few google searches, and Lonewolf (but they seem to be pretty Glock-centric).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
What part of
"Congress shall make no law...prohibiting the free exercise therof", "shall not be infringed", "upon probable cause", "shall not be violated"

does the gov't/the court/TSA not understand?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
familyman
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Glock 36, Kahr CM9

Next Firearm:
Glock 17

Re: Kahr CM9

Postby Chasbo00 » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 02:18:44

Lots of folks just remove the sharp edges themselves with a Dremel tool or sharpening stone.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby brianj » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 07:20:58

Glad to hear you enjoy the CM9, I am debating picking one up as a carry gun myself. Did you buy it new? If so did it need seem like it needed some break in, or was it good to go right out of the box. Also how's the recoil ? One of the things I really like about it is the size, but I wonder if maybe it's a little too small for 9mm.

brianj
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby familyman » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 08:09:34

I bought it new, and it needed a break-in. Everything was very tight and rigid (springs). The recoil isn't a problem; especially when compared to the .45 ACP I usually shoot. When compared to the Kel-tec PF9, it was a lot less snappy. I was able to re-acquire my target quickly. My grouping were about the size of a cantaloupe, the first time out at 7 yards. My wife had far less success on her 50 rnds. She had a few failure to feeds whereas I had none and her groupings were low and right (and she is dead on accurate with our .45). When dry firing at home later, we noticed that her dry firing was pulling the gun to the right and she adjusted and hopefully the next trip to the range, she will be able to fix her performance.

I read a lot of reviews before hand and I think the ones by Nutnfancy and Tactical Tim on youtube were right on.

skip ahead to 2:30

As far the sharp edges, I understand the rounding edges option, I was hoping for a little more real estate to get my thumb on. I know Glock has these options, but didn't know about Kahr.
What part of
"Congress shall make no law...prohibiting the free exercise therof", "shall not be infringed", "upon probable cause", "shall not be violated"

familyman
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Glock 36, Kahr CM9

Next Firearm:
Glock 17

Postby familyman » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 08:40:42

@brianj

I also wanted to clarify that my purpose for this gun is an everyday concealed pistol for self defense, so the recoil isn't on the level of fun to shoot, but it doesn't snap like other small 9mm I tried. IMO, as long as I can hit my target, effectively cary it everyday, and practice with it, it is a success. I wouldn't pick this gun for pleasure shooting, I picked it to defend my family away from the home.

What part of

familyman
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Glock 36, Kahr CM9

Next Firearm:
Glock 17

Postby widefat » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 18:07:45

Just picked up a CM9 a couple of weeks ago - I'm very happy with it. 200+ rounds, no failures of any type.
It was VERY tight out of the box though - almost impossible to disassemble for the initial cleaning. Looser now.
I carry it IWB or pocket, and it is a perfect size to do so (for me at least). I had initially intended to pick up a .380, but after handling the Kahr it was an easy choice.

Definitely a keeper.
The United States of America:
Born: 4 July, 1776
Died: 6 November, 2012

I am a Native American. I was Born here.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: ryry

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby familyman » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 18:35:50

widefat,

Do you have the same problem about the sharp slide stop?

I emailed Kahr today. They said they do not carry any other slide stop but will put me in touch with a technician who might have other options. I don't have a vise, sharpening stone, or a dremel tool, so I imagine filing it by hand would be near impossible and ugly.
What part of

familyman
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Glock 36, Kahr CM9

Next Firearm:
Glock 17

Postby widefat » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 20:04:23

glock36familyman wrote:widefat,
Do you have the same problem about the sharp slide stop?

Actually, no....the edges are very smooth. I wonder if the slide stop on yours snuck past QC? If you ask Kahr for a replacement, you may receive a nicer piece.
The United States of America:
Born: 4 July, 1776
Died: 6 November, 2012

I am a Native American. I was Born here.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: ryry

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby familyman » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 08:52:40

I don't think it is just mine, as I have read scores of people with the same complaint. After talking with Kahr, it seems my only option is to round out the edges by taking it to a gun smith.
What part of

familyman
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Glock 36, Kahr CM9

Next Firearm:
Glock 17

Return to Firearms