NMCollector

Catalog your gun collection with NM Collector software

NMCollector

Postby nmCollector » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 22:12:48

Hey everyone. I am really happy to help support VGOF with every purchase of the VGOF edition of NM Collector Software.

I thought I might introduce myself and my collecting software. I have been writing computer programs since the late 70's. I actually had a chance to use a real punch card machine and punch card reader to load and run Fortran programs in my first real job. The card punch and reader were retired shortly after I started and I got to use the latest in CRT technology!

Fast forward to the late 1990's when my employer asked me to start developing tester software using VB6. I had never used VB6 and wanted to come up to speed quickly so I developed some gun collecting software at home. I ended up selling it on the internet for many years. During that time I received a lot of requests. The two biggest requests were to develop software that would 1) run on any computer and 2) manage any type of collection.

In 2008 I answered the call with NM Collector Software. Through the years I have improved on it based on user feedback. In fact, I continue to improve on it to this day based on customer feedback. In fact, the next release is available to beta testers now. Let me know if you would like to help beta test it.

Well, that is all for now.

Thanks,

Clay

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
nmCollector
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Clay

Re: NMCollector

Postby allingeneral » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 23:02:15

Welcome aboard, Clay! :welcome:

Thanks for hooking us up with the VGOF edition! :thumbsup:
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby nmCollector » Sat, 24 Aug 2013 00:27:43

Rick,

I just noticed that you are a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy. In 2007 my daughter joined the Navy (at 17 years old). It was the best decision she ever made! She was doing very well but her career was cut short by cancer. The good news is the Navy sent her to BAMC for treatment where they provided the latest cutting edge treatment. Thank God she is now cancer free but still on the TDRL.

Thanks for your service.

:)

Clay

nmCollector
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby GeneFrenkle » Sat, 24 Aug 2013 07:21:13

Welcome! Did you use the 80 column cards or were you spoiled with the 96 column kind? Heh... Hope you didn't drop them LOL

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
And if Bruce Dickinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!

GeneFrenkle
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby dusterdude » Sat, 24 Aug 2013 08:32:50

Welcome

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps  
dusterdude
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
bersa 380,taurus pt145 and m1 garand

Postby OakRidgeStars » Sat, 24 Aug 2013 08:52:05

Welcome to VGOF! :welcome: :wave:

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby nmCollector » Sat, 24 Aug 2013 10:36:17

Thanks for the welcome everybody. :)

GeneFrenkle wrote:Welcome! Did you use the 80 column cards or were you spoiled with the 96 column kind? Heh... Hope you didn't drop them LOL

I used the 80 column and never had the unfortunate experience of dropping them although I heard many first-had accounts of the experience. These were very long scientific simulation programs written by PhD physicists and engineers in the day so they were very long (big stacks). I was just a lowly intern so I would have been the one picking them up!

Clay

nmCollector
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby dorminWS » Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:35:40

I remember fortran and 80-column cards on a CDC 6400 in the basement of Gilmer Hall at the U of Va. I also suffered through the cyber-equivalent of excreting bricks by running the extremely verbose language of COBOL using that same system. In fact, some of my worst memories are of being assigned (by a sadistic b@stard who shall remain nameless because I've forgotten his name after all these years) to write a COBOL program that would read and process info from a HUGE card deck that was punched using FORTRAN (fortran used actual decimals and COBOL used virtual decimals; each datum had two decimal places). Drove me to drink, it did. And some of you may know how unusual that was at UVa in the mid-'70s. :whistle:
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby GeneFrenkle » Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:48:09

You knew you were pampered when a card sorter machine was available. LOL That was back when you had to think through things because of the queue to use the machine and the expense in compiling. Nowadays, it's make a quick change, compile, and lets see if it works.

And if Bruce Dickinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!

GeneFrenkle
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby dorminWS » Sat, 24 Aug 2013 13:03:26

GeneFrenkle wrote:You knew you were pampered when a card sorter machine was available. LOL That was back when you had to think through things because of the queue to use the machine and the expense in compiling. Nowadays, it's make a quick change, compile, and lets see if it works.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That's right! - -I'd forgotten that. You had a certain amount of machine time authorized on your account, and if you used it up before the project was done and the prof. couldn't or wouldn't get more allocated, you were just S.O.L. And sometimes you had to drop your deck in the bin and come back a half-day later to pick up your output because of the backlog. AAHHH....Those were the days, right? Several hundred people trying to run jobs ONE AT A TIME on a system that took up more room, and made more heat and noise than the kitchen at the student cafeteria and had less computing capacity than a digital wristwatch.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Return to NM Collector (VGOF Edition) - Catalog your guns