Firearm Unfriendly Businesses in Virginia

Open Carry and Concealed Carry. Where did you carry today?

Re: Firearm Unfriendly Businesses in Virginia

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:40:33

That idea is CLASSIC!

Spend the money, take the bill, fax the main part, and the definition, and then explain that is LOST business! If the manager isn't concerned, find the PARENT company, and show THEM!

I know we can go other places that are GUN FRIENDLY, but you know that if we can change MINDS, we EXPAND on our choices!

'Cuz I'm really tired of Italian, and Grill. :doh:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby Derby » Fri, 01 Jan 2010 11:55:18

So I am down to go eat somewhere OC'ing I have not OC'd yet.

I am kinda hesitant of OC because Id like to have my CCW before just in case a officer says I am CCW. Comments/advice on that?

I ordered a super tuck holster waiting on it to come in, in the mean time I am buying another holster tomorrow to OC.

Derby
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
none =( yet

Postby OakRidgeStars » Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:34:28

VCDL's Gun Unfriendly List: http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html

NRA's National Unfriendly List: http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=15

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby JKJeremy » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 18:33:29

You can add Ikea and Potomac Mills to the list. Also, the Hampton Coliseum may or may not be unfriendly and perhaps someone knows, but I have searched their website, read their ticket stubs and checked around and found nothing that suggests that you are not allowed to carry their, however I recently went to a monster truck event there with my family and they were wanding people as they walked in which I was not expecting having done what i thought was my homework on it before attending. There were no signs so I just walked past them without being wanded and carried concealed all night anyway but thought people might want to know.

On another note, this thread is supposed to list businesses that are unfriendly and that should really be the only information listed on this thread and yet i just read through seven pages of discussions that, while related, would best be left for some of the other discussion forums/threads on this site. So I would respectfully ask the site administrator for this thread to clean it up and delete or move all posts in this thread that don't specifically list an unfriendly business so that it is the potentially very useful thread that it could be.

For those posting, if you aren't specifically posting a business name then please post your question elsewhere more appropriate on this site. Not trying to be a butthead about it so please don't jump all over my case but right now this thread isn't nearly as useful as it could because of all the offtopic posts.

JKJeremy
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Ruger P89

Postby OakRidgeStars » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:48:09

Hampton Coliseum >> General Rules --

http://www.hampton.gov/coliseum/generalrules/index.aspx

> No illegal weapons allowed. :roll: :clap:

If you have a CHP, I guess you're legal

I've CC'd at the Coliseum before without an issue. No wand searches or pat-downs.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby JKJeremy » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:37:51

OakRidgeStars wrote:Hampton Coliseum >> General Rules --

I've CC'd at the Coliseum before without an issue. No wand searches or pat-downs.

yeah, that's the way i read that too when i looked before going...as far as i'm concerned that means a CHP holder is legally allowed to carry...

JKJeremy
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Ruger P89

Postby allingeneral » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 12:01:03

Will do thread cleanup on this when I get a chance. Essentially, will compile all unfriendlies into the original post and leave the discussions intact. Will put a note on the OP indicating that all businesses are listed, as reported.
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby KennyS » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 13:14:28

Virginia Center Commons in Henrico Va needs to be added to the list. I had carried concealed and openly there before never an issue or noticed any postings. At the end of last summer I walked in and was flocked by security guards on lazy scooters acting all Barney bad ass want to bees. Any way they pointed me to the signs which I had never noticed in their food entrance vestibule that had extremely small print of no weapons allowed. I left of course after they announced loudly to every one around that I could go back and put it in my vehicle. I just informed them they would no longer get my business and wrote several letters with no response.

KennyS
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Kenny

My Arsenal:
PT 1911
Beretta 92 fs
Savage 30/06
Remington 870 Express
Marlin/Glenfield 22

Next Firearm:
Colt AR15/ mini 14

Postby firstcavapache64 » Sun, 07 Mar 2010 22:16:20

JKJeremy wrote:You can add Ikea and Potomac Mills to the list. Also, the Hampton Coliseum may or may not be unfriendly and perhaps someone knows, but I have searched their website, read their ticket stubs and checked around and found nothing that suggests that you are not allowed to carry their, however I recently went to a monster truck event there with my family and they were wanding people as they walked in which I was not expecting having done what i thought was my homework on it before attending. There were no signs so I just walked past them without being wanded and carried concealed all night anyway but thought people might want to know.

On another note, this thread is supposed to list businesses that are unfriendly and that should really be the only information listed on this thread and yet i just read through seven pages of discussions that, while related, would best be left for some of the other discussion forums/threads on this site. So I would respectfully ask the site administrator for this thread to clean it up and delete or move all posts in this thread that don't specifically list an unfriendly business so that it is the potentially very useful thread that it could be.

For those posting, if you aren't specifically posting a business name then please post your question elsewhere more appropriate on this site. Not trying to be a butthead about it so please don't jump all over my case but right now this thread isn't nearly as useful as it could because of all the offtopic posts.

Maybe before you start directing the moderators on how to do their jobs and telling other members where to post their comments you could stop by the new members forum and tell everybody a little about yourself. I'm not trying to be a butthead either......Just sayin :whistle:
Freedom Isn't Free, the price is visible at Veterans Administration(VA) hospitals all across the country! Remember all veterans, especially those of Korea, the "Forgotten War"- God Bless America.
I support our troops- Now bring them home!

firstcavapache64
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: John

My Arsenal:
Still working on it.

Next Firearm:
M1 Garand

Postby ninobrown » Tue, 11 May 2010 02:13:19

Add CVS on Walmsley Blvd and Broad Rock Road. I went in open carrying and was told that it was private property by a sherrif on duty as a security guard. I sent an email to the corporate offices of CVS and got back an answer that didn't answer the simple question of is it their policy to not allow guns or do they follow the state law.

ninobrown
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Nino

My Arsenal:
S&W Sigma 40V
Ruger SP101 .357 (2.25 barrel)
Glock 19
Makarov .380
GSG 5PK .22LR

Next Firearm:
something in a .45 ACP

Postby NewColonial » Tue, 11 May 2010 09:04:10

is it their policy to not allow guns or do they follow the state law.

Those two items are not exclusive. As much as we don't like it, according to state law, a business owner has the right to ban firearms. Thus they can BOTH not allow guns AND follow the state law.
"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
--Saint Augustine

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
NewColonial
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: David

Postby BluemontGlock » Tue, 11 May 2010 15:07:44

NewColonial ยป Tue, 11 May 2010 09:04:10

is it their policy to not allow guns or do they follow the state law.

Those two items are not exclusive. As much as we don't like it, according to state law, a business owner has the right to ban firearms. Thus they can BOTH not allow guns AND follow the state law.

New Colonial - an excellent observation, thank you!!!
Be particular, and be vigilant, as the enemy will only attack on two occasions:
When you're ready or when you're not ready.

Also never forget, that everyone who shows up, is not necessarily there to help.

BluemontGlock
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Eliot

Next Firearm:
.45 pistol

Postby Iqentab308 » Tue, 11 May 2010 16:44:19

I myself am not a holder of a CC permit, as I'm not 21 yet. However, I'd be angry if I saw someone kicked out of a restaurant or other business if they were CCing if they had a permit to do so.

OCing often causes disturbances, however. There are a lot of whiny obnoxious people who think that it is their right to squash your rights because they think they are better than you. These people are often the ones to make an awful fuss out of something that is a non-issue. Therefore, I can't say I hold it against a business if they ask you to either a)put it away, or b)leave the establishment. The business is just trying to take the least-damaging approach to the situation. Either they can tell the complaining person that they can't do anything and risk that person creating a scene in the establishment, or they could calmly ask you to put the gun in your car, which usually doesn't cause a scene, because a person OCing is usually mature and reasonable, and the people who hate guns are usually immature pricks.

I didn't read this ENTIRE thread, but I'd like to add a business I saw someone get kicked out of. I was at a Fuddrucker's in Annandale, and a man at the table over was asked to leave because people were complaining about his holstered revolver. And of course the lady complaining said something stupid like her kid could get ahold of it and it's dangerous... =/ Don't know if that one was mentioned.

Anyhow, what makes me angrier than 2nd amendment rights being squashed about is the fact that these idiots think that if they are near you, they can squelch your rights like a bug as soon as you're doing something THEY don't like in the general vicinity.

Iqentab308
On Target
On Target

First Name: Ian

My Arsenal:
12ga Beretta over-n-under (was my grandaddy's)
16ga single shot New England Arms
20ga Remington 1100 autoloader
.22 cal Savage MKII (4x32 swift scope)

Next Firearm:
Remington 870 express (for waterfowl)

Postby zephyp » Wed, 12 May 2010 08:49:51

Iqentab308 wrote:I didn't read this ENTIRE thread, but I'd like to add a business I saw someone get kicked out of. I was at a Fuddrucker's in Annandale, and a man at the table over was asked to leave because people were complaining about his holstered revolver. And of course the lady complaining said something stupid like her kid could get ahold of it and it's dangerous... =/ Don't know if that one was mentioned.

Fudruckers in Annandale just implemented this policy...many of us have carried there before with no problem...they wont be seeing my face or money again...
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby t33j » Mon, 31 May 2010 11:49:32

JKJeremy wrote:
OakRidgeStars wrote:Hampton Coliseum >> General Rules --

yeah, that's the way i read that too when i looked before going...as far as i'm concerned that means a CHP holder is legally allowed to carry...

A CHP is not required to legally carry a gun in Virginia. I've open carried there on two separate occasions without issue.

The reason they say, "No illegal weapons allowed", is because they can't say, "No weapons allowed" because they are subject to preemption (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915).

SIMS metal off 17 in York County is anti
Sic semper tyrannis

t33j
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Anonymous

Postby Ebonyknight » Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:31:19

NickFac, did you speak with a manager? IMO if it is not posted that you cannot OC or CC then it takes something more than a server to make the decision. Obviously the property owner can make that determination and I would accept that the owners representative (a manager) has the authority to make that decision in the absence of other guidance, but not any other employee.

I think if someone asked if I were "Virginia Beach" I'd have to reply that no, I'm from Madison County (or Virginia Beach or wherever you are from). If they want to believe I'm an LEO from that locality that's their problem. Don't claim to be an LEO and don't ask them to clarify their question.

NEVER...NEVER screw with someone who makes or serves your food. Suppose he stood up and asked the manager. The manager said, OK. What do you think that server is going to do or treat you?

Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches. Someday she is going to walk into a situation (or it into her) where she wishes there was an armed law abiding citizen around.

I would open carry if it wouldn't cause such a hassle, so I CCW.

Ebonyknight
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
M1 Garand
S&W J Frame .38
S&W 9mm
SA XD .40 Sub

Postby Ebonyknight » Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:44:44

Fuddruckers on West Broad St in Henrico. They were robbed at gunpoint and the manager (an Army vet) posted a NO GUNS ALLOWED sign after the robbery. A good number of us wrote letters protesting the policy and complained to their corporate office. The manager changed his mind and welcomed us with open arms (pun intended). He admitted that he had put the sign up in haste and he then took it down.

We paid him back for his change in position by having an Open Carry dinner there. Over 100 people in our group ate dinner and it was the most profitable Tuesday night in that restaurant's history.

You just gotta wonder about that major flaw in logic. Someone robs them so he decides No Guns. Excuse me, but he just robbed you. He's not worrying about what your rules are in the first place. ::face palm::

Not to mention the obvious fact that if the robber saw people with guns of their own, I would GUARANTEE that he would go elsewhere to find an easier mark.

Ebonyknight
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
M1 Garand
S&W J Frame .38
S&W 9mm
SA XD .40 Sub

Postby baz » Fri, 16 Jul 2010 23:58:33

Anyone think that talking to my local Wachovia bank managers might help them reconsider their no gun sign? Is it corporate policy to post? Or, maybe it is suggested to post, but differs on location.

baz
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: baz

My Arsenal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZ2qvhJGgU

Postby zephyp » Sat, 17 Jul 2010 08:03:31

@baz - its corporate policy and I've talked to a couple of branch managers. We use BOA and Wachovia. I've not seen a sign at a BOA branch but Wachovia does post.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby ShootinCpl » Sun, 18 Jul 2010 15:02:09

Hi All!
Was meeting a buddy at TGIFridays in Roanoke at Valley View mall and right behind the hostess they have a small sign (maybe 3" X 4") that says "No firearms allowed at any time" and has two small drawings of a firearm with a red circle and slash through the circle. Will not be going there anymore.
ShootinCpl

ShootinCpl
Sighting In
Sighting In

PreviousNext

Return to Carrying Your Firearm