The genie has been out of the bottle for centuries.

If you are a writer and would like to contribute an article or Op-Ed piece, please do it here.

The genie has been out of the bottle for centuries.

Postby AlanM » Tue, 23 Jan 2018 17:00:07

We all keep seeing pro and con posts and articles about firearms with the anti-gunners ranting that we need to keep guns away from the bad guys.

HOT FLASH! That genie has been out of the bottle for centuries. There's a series of Youtube videos showing a Williamsburg blacksmith/gun maker with his helper making and firing a flintlock Kentucky long rifle. And that was done with technology well over 200 years old.

When I was a child (6 decades ago) we would hear about inner city gang members making and using "zip guns" out of common hardware store available parts.
There is a scene in one of the Death Wish films where a good guy city dweller uses a shotgun made of plumbing parts.

I've seen videos of people making an AK-47 out of a shovel.
I've seen reports of the Khyber Pass gun makers making firearms with hand tools.

My own experience is of a fellow US sailor that I went through nuclear power school and prototype with that built a working (quite well I have to add) 1911. Thinking back I don't know if he made all the parts but I DO know that he machined the slide and frame (to JM Browning's specs) from steel stock using a Unimat bench lathe/mill. I'm not sure about the barrel but wouldn't bet against him having made that also.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimat
He also had several single shot handguns that he had made including boring and rifling the barrels that had nice, smooth working trigger/hammer mechanisms.

As I said and will continue to say, the genie's out of the bottle and ain't going back.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

Re: The genie has been out of the bottle for centuries.

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 24 Jan 2018 07:47:51

There's a blog floating around WordPress that's dedicated to homemade firearms. Some are crudely and simply made, while others look factory made, and the rest fall somewhere in between.

Even in the absence of explosives, people will fashion weaponry out of whatever is available. Just look at prisons, and the weapons that they confiscate on a regular basis. Those guys can get creative.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Return to Articles and Op-Ed