Road rage shooting in Fauquier County

VGOF Calendar Import Calendar Entry (.ics) for this topic If you are a writer and would like to contribute an article or Op-Ed piece, please do it here.

Road rage shooting in Fauquier County

Postby Ironbear » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 21:30:08

Road-rager puts two rounds into a car, in Fauquier County. This was about a mile and a half from my house.

http://wjla.com/news/crime/deputies-aggressive-driver-shoots-out-mans-car-window

It is why guns/cars and immaturity/stupidity/temper don't mix.
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Re: Road rage shooting in Fauquier County

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 26 Mar 2016 22:57:05

I had a chic pull on gun on me the other day. We were at a 3-way stop in the Potomac Mills loop. She ran the stop sign, cutting me off and almost causing me to hit her. I blew my horn and threw my hands up. She pointed a pistol out the passager side window and was laughing at me as she finished Turing through the intersection.

My wife said to call the cops, but she took off like a bat out of hell and didn't get a plate number. I sure as hell wasn't gonna follow her either.

There are some crazy people out there.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Ironbear » Mon, 28 Mar 2016 11:54:31

MarcSpaz wrote:My wife said to call the cops, but she took off like a bat out of hell and didn't get a plate number. I sure as hell wasn't gonna follow her either.

I have seriously ambivalent feelings on this. On one side I don't really want to be anywhere near people crazy enough do this. On the other hand, people that crazy should be shut down before something tragic happens.

Stuff like this makes me wonder why I don't have a front/read dashboard camera.
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 28 Mar 2016 12:53:12

I had this exact convo with my wife last night. I think I am going to buy one or two for the cars I daily. I want to see if I can find some "portable" units so I can move them from car to car when needed.

I live in this area, and unless I move, I can't avoid it. I can't afford to move right now or anytime soon, so I need to deal with it. If I had a dash cam in the Jeep, that chic would have been arrested for sure.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby scott9050 » Tue, 29 Mar 2016 07:51:04

MarcSpaz wrote:I had this exact convo with my wife last night. I think I am going to buy one or two for the cars I daily. I want to see if I can find some "portable" units so I can move them from car to car when needed.

I live in this area, and unless I move, I can't avoid it. I can't afford to move right now or anytime soon, so I need to deal with it. If I had a dash cam in the Jeep, that chic would have been arrested for sure.

There is an Android app called Daily Roads that will take care of your camera needs. There is a free version that is ad supported and a paid version that gets rid of the ads. It works pretty well as a dash cam. If you are set on a separate unit, I would suggest this one for a good price that is not junk:

http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-1080P- ... ge_o03_s00

My wife has this one and it works well.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
scott9050
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: William

My Arsenal:
Fishing accident.

Postby SHMIV » Tue, 29 Mar 2016 08:34:20

Dash Cams: they are available from Pilot, Flying J, T/A, and Petro truck stops.

In fact, I was at a Pilot yesterday that had a dash cam for $69, plus tax, after mail in rebate. The Pilot was in Arizona, but it may have been a nation wide offer; I'll have to keep an eye out. If it was, Flying J should have the same promotion, as they are the same company.

There is a model of dash cam that I see in the Petro/TA chains that has dual cam; so it can record 2 different POV. I believe that all the dash cams are under $200.

Of course, if you want to get real trick& fancy, and you don't mind placing a baking sheet on your dashboard, there is always this fun item:

http://www.randmcnally.com/product/tnd-tablet

All of the above should be fairly easy to transfer between vehicles. I've considered the phone apps, but I prefer dedicated devices for various tasks.

I've been wanting to get my own dashcam; I have no access to the one in the truck. It would be useful to have the ability to play back a scene on demand. I have enough points on my Pilot/Flying J card to get one for free (or 2 free ones, depending on the model), but I have been waiting to see if they start carrying a dual cam model.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby dmharvey » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 13:59:57

I picked up this dash cam, and a 32gb memory card, recently. So far so good, I can't complain for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/TOGUARD-Dashcam-G ... ge_o07_s00

dmharvey
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Dennis

Postby Swampman » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 09:15:32

MarcSpaz wrote:I had a chic pull on gun on me the other day. We were at a 3-way stop in the Potomac Mills loop. She ran the stop sign, cutting me off and almost causing me to hit her. I blew my horn and threw my hands up. She pointed a pistol out the passager side window and was laughing at me as she finished Turing through the intersection.

My wife said to call the cops, but she took off like a bat out of hell and didn't get a plate number. I sure as hell wasn't gonna follow her either.

There are some crazy people out there.

I would have followed her and been on the horn with the cops. Describe her vehicle and mine as I'm following. If I can get a plate number, okay, but I'd stay far enough back to bail when/if necessary. Pull a gun on me there will be some price paid for it. :mad:
Progressives/Liberals - Promoting tyranny and a defenseless people since 1913.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Swampman
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jim

Postby rjloy » Tue, 10 May 2016 23:21:45

Yikes, all the more reason to be CCW.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy  
rjloy
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Glock 22c

Postby Mindflayer » Wed, 11 May 2016 15:43:11

We bought a dash cam at Costco over the holidays for the truck. I've been accosted by anti-gunners for my NRA sticker, so thought it would be a good idea for my own protection. With the litigation culture we have, the conmen, and the idiots, it's a cheap way to be a little more prepared for court or police. Of course, now I want a rear-facing one...

What I've really been wondering about is how to swear in Russian so I can upload some of the idiocy I see to Youtube.

Also: https://www.reddit.com/r/nova/comments/ ... un/d303x6g

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Return to Articles and Op-Ed