I want to learn how to re-load

Re: I want to learn how to re-load

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 06:23:50

Molfeens wrote:Does anyone load 300 BLK?

Yep, nothing special there. Loads just like any other bottleneck rifle case.

Ballpark what would the start up cost be to be able to load 9mm, 40SW, 357sig, 223 and either 300 BLK OR 6.8SPC?

Figure a few hundred for a press, and supporting equipment as a starting point. The fancier, or more feature-rich, the higher the price can go.

Depending on the press, a caliber change could be as low as the cost of dies. $25-$50. On a progressive you've got additional costs for the shel holders, conversion kits etc....

Used equipment...good or bad idea?

As with anything used... variable.

Look at overall condition, rust, bent parts, missing parts etc.. and see if there is enough reduction in cost vs new to make it seem reasonable.

Jdonovan, I have not forgotten about your very generous offer. What days would work best for you, weekdays or weekends? I am actually in Warrenton for work every other Tuesday but will gladly head out there on a weekend if need be too.

PM' me and lets setup some times.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Purdune » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:42:34

Howdy,
I've got what's needed to cast .45 acp and reload for the same and my Marlin 30-30. I've read up and watched a bunch of great Youtube tutorials and some I could see were what "not to do" video's. For my first run I'd like to sit with someone doing it or have someone give me a hand. If someone wants to have me over I'd be willing lunch and beer. Well ok the beer would be for after...

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Purdune
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Joseph

My Arsenal:
I'm sorry can you restate the question please?

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:46:46

Purdune wrote: If someone wants to have me over I'd be willing lunch and beer. Well ok the beer would be for after...

might want to let us know where you are...

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Purdune » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:30:57

jdonovan wrote:might want to let us know where you are...

Why, that would make too much sense... Woodbridge but would be willing to drive an hour or so. My buddy has a camp site in the Front Royal area. would be willing to head out there on a weekend.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Purdune
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Postby GeneFrenkle » Tue, 15 Jan 2013 08:01:42

What do y'all think about starting with a hand-press?
And if Bruce Dickinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!

GeneFrenkle
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby jdonovan » Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:46:18

bad idea. It will be so slow, and take so much hand strength, that you'll quickly abandon the hobby.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby HighExpert » Fri, 22 Feb 2013 01:24:12

I use a Dillon 550B and would recommend it to anyone who has a mentor to teach you how to use it safely. I would be willing to teach a couple of you to reload and have taught quite a few in the 30 years I have been reloading. I would suggest you start with straight wall pistol calibers and get good at it before you tackle bottleneck cartridges. I would be willing to give you guys some press time but you will need your own components. 9mm, 45apc, and 38/357 are good calibers to start with. 9mm and .45acp being easier. Bullseye works well and is economical in all the cartridges. I will not be loading or teaching you load "hot loads" and prefer that you initially load no more than 90% loads. The only issue is that I live outside of Cumberland. Not too bad a hike for someone in the Richmond metro area but quite a hike from the northern neck. I would suggest a full day (Saturdays) for the initial session. You would get the chance to load your rounds with supervison and use the the Dillon550B. I currently have the following calibers-.380,9mm,,38Sp, .357mag,.40s&w, .44sp/mag, and .45 acp. I have .223 dies on order but they are not here yet. dcpritchett@hughes.net if you are interested.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
HighExpert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
1911s,many more

Postby Purdune » Sat, 23 Feb 2013 02:31:22

Howdy HE,
I'd like to take you up on that. I have a Lee press as well as everything needed to load 45 ACP. It's all "new in the box" as I've been hesitant to start on my own without some hands on experience. I'd be willing to bring it and share it's use with others. This would double the hands on experience for everyone. I've read books and watched plenty of Youtube. With that said I'll have a "yes sir" attitude as book learning is way different then hands on! It's a bit of a hike but won't be a problem if we do it on a Saturday.

Purdune
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Postby HighExpert » Sat, 23 Feb 2013 19:05:07

PM sent. Purdune

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
HighExpert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
1911s,many more

Previous

Return to Ammunition and Reloading