Walmart Low on Ammo Dec 2012

Walmart Low on Ammo Dec 2012

Postby ShotgunBlast » Sat, 08 Dec 2012 16:47:29

Went to Walmart to pick up a brick of some 22LR and they were wiped out. Wow. No Federal, no CCI mini mags, no 1000+ round containers I've seen there before. Dayam.

Also looked at their 9mm and they had 1 box of Remington FMJ and a box or two of some brand I've never seen on their shelf before and a few boxes of Federal HydraShok JHP and that's it. Wowsers.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Re: Walmart Low on Ammo Dec 2012

Postby widefat » Sat, 08 Dec 2012 17:58:45

Most of the time the Walmarts I frequent have what I am looking for, no problem.
22, 9, 45, 223, 12ga - not an issue. Even recently.
urban thing?
The United States of America:
Born: 4 July, 1776
Died: 6 November, 2012

I am a Native American. I was Born here.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: ryry

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby Snakester » Sat, 08 Dec 2012 18:15:47

I went to Walmart in Colonial Hghts. and Petersburg today... Same results , only a couple boxes of 50 in LR. They usually have plenty of the 555 bx. and the 325 bx. They also were out of Rem. .357 mag. 100 bx. and Win. .38 sp. 100 bx. and no .223 of any kind . I did pick up 6 Tulammo 7.62 , 4 .22 mag and 5 .17 hmr. Have to buy it when you see it anymore.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby CowboyT » Sun, 09 Dec 2012 01:29:01

This thread is exactly the primary reason to reload--guaranteed ammo availability. I have no such supply concerns.

Really, a decent setup isn't that expensive. It'll pay for itself in short order.
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom ain't free, folks. It takes work.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
CowboyT
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Cowboy

My Arsenal:
'Scuze me...what "arsenal"?? I thought militaries had "arsenals"....

Next Firearm:
Huh? How'm I supposed to know?? I'm a Liberal!

Postby Snakester » Sun, 09 Dec 2012 11:04:09

I agree 100%....Reloading pays for itself very quickly and is fairly inexpensive to get into. I reloaded for about 5 yrs. with a shooting buddy of mine . He gave it up because of his health . I got away from it because it was time consuming for me. I have a friend who reloads as a hobby...he doesn't even shoot any more but he has a great reloading set up. He has been slowing down as of lately but I am going to get ammo from him as long as I can. He is MUCH cheaper than paying retail. :pistol: :pistol:

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Snakester » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:00:07

Passed through South Hill today , in no hurry so I had to run into Walmart. Nice selection of ammo. They were actually stocking while I was there. Picked up 4-100 rd. Rem. .357 mag. 3-100 rd. Win. .38 sp. 400 rd. .22 mag. 50 rd. .410 ga. 3" OOO Buck. 25 rd. 20 ga. Buck. They didn't have any 12 ga. Buck. They also had a lot of .223 Rem. & Tulammo and about 10-12 Bricks .22 LR. I'm really stocked on both of them already.

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:05:19

I've checked the 6 WAL-MARTS in the Central Richmond area, and they're ALL running low!

Colonial Heights, Chester, Mechanicsville, Short Pump, Parham, and Forest Hill!

I have no idea what's going on. And Cowboy is right about reloading, unfortunately, can't do that with a .22 LR. HAHAHAHA :hysterical:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby Moist » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 20:53:38

Walmart in Leesburg had no .22 ammo when I went on Wednesday. None. Nada. They had at least one box of 250-round UMC ball ammo in .40SW. They had a few boxes of the 250-round UMC 230gr .45 ball ammo last Sunday, but by the time I went to pick one up on Wednesday it was all gone. I learned my lesson - next time I'm there and they have it, I'm grabbing it.

They seemed to have at least one or two boxes of most everything else on hand.

Moist
Marksman
Marksman

Postby jasonallen127 » Fri, 14 Dec 2012 13:24:11

Walmart in Alexandria on Route 1 was bone-dry of any centerfire pistol or rifle ammo the last few times I went there. Other than the Dick's Sporting Goods off Columbia Pike near 7 Corners, I can't think of any place inside the beltway that has a regular inventory of the ammo I fire, other than 12 gauge - at a reasonable price.

Some of the local gun stores must be high charging what they charge for ammo - NoVA Firearms in Falls Church wanted $220 + tax for a spam can of 7.62x54 Mosin ammo. I paid $90 to have the same amount shipped to my door from Palmetto State Armory in SC.

I recently started reloading .357 magnum. Reloading for .357 means I spend $0.14 per round instead of $0.50 per round of factory made practice ammo. I bulk-order bullets online, and I buy powder & primers in person to save on the hazmat fee. This doesn't save me a tremendous amount of money, but it means I can shoot 3 times more than I could afford to otherwise! My post-range trip routine with my girlfriend is we put on a movie and clean the guns... so it's not really a big time-suck to reload what we shot that day. Using a Lee hand press, I can produce 150 rounds of .357 and clean my .22, 9mm, and .357 handguns during the course of an average-length action movie.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
jasonallen127
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jason

My Arsenal:
.357 Mag
12 Gauge

Next Firearm:
Reducing what I have.

Postby Snakester » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 23:23:42

Walmart in Petersburg was stocked pretty well this morning ! I picked up 400 rds. .38 sp. Win. 220 rds. .223 Rem. 400 rds. .17 HMR . 300 rds. .357 rem. 60 rds. 7.62x39 Tulammo. Still sold out of all .22 LR Large Boxes. Colonial Hghts. store was really sold out. :pistol: :pistol: :pistol:

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby RickH » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:44:09

I scoped out the Walmart in stafford on garrisonville road and it was slim pickins there two. Only had 2 boxes of .308. And the .22lr was almost gone too. Didn't look at anything else in particular but there was a lot of empty space.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
RickH
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Remington 870 Express Magnum
Glock 23 Gen 3
Bushmaster .308 ORC
Marlin Model 60

Next Firearm:
Marlin 795

Postby livinginswva » Mon, 24 Dec 2012 08:50:51

widefat wrote:Most of the time the Walmarts I frequent have what I am looking for, no problem.
22, 9, 45, 223, 12ga - not an issue. Even recently.
urban thing?

Not just an ubran thing. I live in southwest virginia, about 40 miles from Bristol. At least 2 local Walmarts are out of .22 long rifle, .223, and only have a few boxes of very expensive high end 9mm and 45 acp.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
livinginswva
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Steve

Postby moss20 » Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:14:55

I don't know about .22 or handgun ammo, but the bulk shotgun ammo is a warehouse supply issue. I asked the girl working in Front Royal the other day and she told me the warehouse they get shotgun ammo from has been out, and didn't know when they would be getting more. I got lucky last night at the new Walmart outside Winchester and found 9 boxes of Winchester 12ga. #8 and bought them all. They had a good bit of .40, various rifle, and single boxes of shotgun left--NO .22, .380, 9mm, etc.
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
T Jefferson

4-H Certified Shotgun, Rifle, Pistol, Archery & Muzzleloading Instructor
NRA/ATA Shotgun Coach

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
moss20
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Doug

My Arsenal:
One for every occasion ....... like shoes

Next Firearm:
Whatever I can find that interest me

Postby ShotgunBlast » Mon, 24 Dec 2012 12:38:20

Went back to my local Walmart a few days ago. They put out 10 boxes of Federal bulk 22LR that morning and I bought the last box. Lady said that had 80 boxes of 223 and that got wiped out in about a half hour. Also bare on 9mm FMJ too.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Snakester » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:27:30

Went in 3 Walmarts this morning looking for some ammo...No .223 of any kind. No 12 ga. or 20 ga. buckshot. I did find 220 rds. of 7.62 , 200 rds. .38 sp. Winchester 400 rds. .17 HMR and 550 rds. .22 Magnum. The Sales Lady told me they don't know when or IF more was coming in . Better buy it when you find it ! :!:

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby CowboyT » Tue, 01 Jan 2013 22:03:41

Fore-warned is fore-armed. Those who don't currently reload ought to consider it. You can get started with a pretty complete single-stage setup for about $200, including a vibratory tumbler and some corn cob cleaning medium. Upgrades, should one desire them, can come at any time.
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom ain't free, folks. It takes work.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
CowboyT
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Cowboy

My Arsenal:
'Scuze me...what "arsenal"?? I thought militaries had "arsenals"....

Next Firearm:
Huh? How'm I supposed to know?? I'm a Liberal!

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 10:17:54

I can't get through a YouTube video about reloading without nodding off. Talk about a slow and boring process, especially on a single-stage unit. If I didn't value my time I could probably reload.

While reloading is better than no ammo on the shelf, I'll just have to save my cash to make bigger purchases when something is on the shelf.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 10:20:15

Of course it all depends on what you're reloading. I don't have any rifle rounds that people are trying to sell for $1 each, but if you shoot a lot of rifles you could easily make up the cost difference even with factoring in your time.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Snakester » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 22:04:05

ShotgunBlast wrote:I can't get through a YouTube video about reloading without nodding off. Talk about a slow and boring process, especially on a single-stage unit. If I didn't value my time I could probably reload.

While reloading is better than no ammo on the shelf, I'll just have to save my cash to make bigger purchases when something is on the shelf.

I have also tried You Tube Reloading Videos. Most boring thing I have ever tried to watch . I use to reload Shotgun Shells in the early '80's , I got away from it ...Boring and time consuming . I help my reloading buddy Tommy sometimes and it is a lot of fun. He keeps me pretty much well supplied.I just don't want the equipment investment and feeling guilty if I am not using it enough.

Walmart in Colonial Hghts. only a few bxs. 30 30 and 7 mm. Clerk has no idea when to expect more.

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby moss20 » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 23:03:44

Walmart in Front Royal had 10 boxes 7.62x39, various rifle and some pistol in stock this afternoon.
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
T Jefferson

4-H Certified Shotgun, Rifle, Pistol, Archery & Muzzleloading Instructor
NRA/ATA Shotgun Coach

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
moss20
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Doug

My Arsenal:
One for every occasion ....... like shoes

Next Firearm:
Whatever I can find that interest me